New Contribution Team Leaders!

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Jesus christ mate get over it lol.
  2. Guy writes out a well thought out, informative, and mature response over a legitimate concern of him and you reply with a snarky 6 word 1 acronym response stating that he just "get over it". Perhaps retorting with an equally well thought out message might get more of a point across?

While I do agree with some/most of your points, I still think we should give these two a chance and they've more than done enough to deserve that. I'm not gonna ignore any issues should they arise but I do trust in Krysyy's, Fedny's and Alex's abilities, as mature and qualified adults, to handle any disagreements should they come up.
    Olaf_C, b0bbythebuild3r, 607 and 9 others like this.
  3. I still wish the best of luck to everyone, and hope things work out. No matter what, I think we can all agree these two have done amazing things for EMC, and deserve our respect. Krysyy, Dwight, FDNY, Alex, and others have made some valid points I accept. Best of luck to you guys.
    607, FDNY21 and Hashhog like this.
  4. I'll have you know that it was an instinct response and not at all well thought out.
  5. I'm not getting into this discussion again, also because I promised to drop it and it's not my intend to drag something on forever (I was allowed to speak my mind, and despite my criticism I honestly appreciate that).

But I do think it's important to keep in mind that just because someone shares a bit of criticism doesn't always mean that they're negative about the whole thing. The term "constructive criticism" is known for a very good reason.

Sometimes people share criticism because they actually do care, so much that they take the time and effort to try and get their point(s) across. Although you may not always agree with their points it is something to keep in mind before you simply blow them off or decide to ignore them alltogether.

The main problem when you're setting something up and become very accustomed to the process is that you'll often become so familiar with it that you simply overlook possible flaws because you don't know any better. It's a given and it happens to all of us. And in those cases it can be very useful to get another opinion on the matter, even if it is a slightly critical one.

Just my 2 cents.
    607 likes this.
  6. then proceeds to write 3 small paragraphs in on the topic hahaha
    Qkazooo, Olaf_C and bitemenow15 like this.
  7. While I can't and won't doubt that your personal experiences outside of EMC have shown the potential for messiness and conflict, the current dynamics on the CT are working incredibly well.

We have been working to incorporate community feedback, our own experiences with what could be improved as CT members and current/future ambitions and goals for the Team (including greater needs for communication). This has culminated in over six major initiatives which are just about to be implemented, a list of plenty more which we are working our way down and a bunch of other minor initiatives on their way. Fendy and I, with Krysyy, have worked on all of these together with Slack and Google Docs making discussion and cooperation on it all a breeze. There is no conflict; simply very healthy and productive deliberation. I hope this information can put yours or anyone else's concerns at ease.

And thank you for your kind words :)
    607, Olaf_C, FDNY21 and 5 others like this.
  8. Why do debates happen on every official thread? That's my question. I often lie to myself and pretend everyone is happy with everything.
    AnonReturns and Kytula like this.
  9. If you do that, then nothing gets done. Debates get things done.
    If there is one thing I disliked about the team, it is getting shut down then the idea gets implemented. A while back I strongly suggested that we add health to the wiki pages but the leaders (and I think Krysyy) shut it down because in the future health will be changed or something like that. Two things are wrong with that: the update isn't even here yet and you should always have the base health so people know what they are going against. Now the health is shown, but not in a convenient place.

The health should (as it always is in wikis) be with the main information in the box. Also, and this has also been shut down and it makes me a tad annoyed, the picture should be above the information in the box. Every single wiki I have seen has the information below the picture.
    http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Pig
    http://overwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Tracer
    http://town-of-salem.wikia.com/wiki/Sheriff
    https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Soldier

4 examples right there.

Lastly, I hope that in the future the pictures are taken with the default resource pack (it only makes sense).
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  10. cause some people just like to challenge anything they don't have any part in? lol idk. It's like politics. Mostly just bs.
    SkeleTin007 and Roslyn like this.
  11. I will look into altering the template to accommodate HP info
    Do you mean on pages where a picture isn't included in the information box? We can look into changing those pages to have the picture above rather than below if could please send Fendy and I a list of said pages. However, there's only a few pages like this, and the picture is likely at the bottom because it is nonessential but still relevant. Custom Items and Mobs pages should always have the picture above; there's an issue with the template if that's not the case so please let us know.
    I agree. I would be very grateful if you could please send Fendy and I a list of the pages where this is not the case (noticeably) and we can fix them
    SkeleTin007, Kytula, Hashhog and 2 others like this.
  12. Hi Olaf, thank you for the kind words, and also for the concern, but hopefully I can put that concern to rest!

I can assure you that communication is very good, and there are no issues between us leaders. We are using Slack and Google Docs to communicate quickly and easily, and with the use of the sharing function on Google Docs, it's a really efficient system that allows us to get work done where everyone can see it.

There has been a lot of progress, and we are very soon to put in the first big changes to the team. You mentioned low participation, but this new system is really going to up that, and get people working on all sorts of things, and we will be using lots of guides and lists in the new implementation so that people have good content to work from and know exactly how to do it. These guides and lists have been written, and we're refining them now before they get released.

I think it's a good thing that there are two leaders here. We communicate very well, and we are dividing work up quickly and easily while still working together. I have been focusing on the blog, and Alex has been focusing on the wiki and graphics. We still make the big decisions together, but by dividing things up like this, we get things done quicker, and we also always have another person to talk to if we need advice on our work that we have done!

Things will be changing for the best, but we will always take concerns like this seriously. In due time, we will see how well this system works, but right now, it's looking really good, I can assure you :)
    ShelLuser, Hashhog, 607 and 4 others like this.
  13. Thank you for response. What you've told me ensures that there is functional communication happening, and that major steps are being taken to improve the Contribution Team. Being able to hear these points from both of you makes me feel even more comfortable in your abilities to communicate, and to further the abilities of the team. I know you are on the same page, which means everything.

THIS is how our community should discuss problems. I admit I'm guilty of being stubborn and rude sometimes, but I think this time it worked out well. This wasn't with angry attacking, but through the use of polite discussion while trying our hardest to understand all sides. Nothing gets accomplished with silence, nor does it get accomplished with verbal attacks. The biggest problem with how the community handles differences isn't that there are differences in the first place, it is that we have a problem being respectful to one another.
    crafter31211, FDNY21, Hashhog and 6 others like this.
  14. I have not posted on this thread until now! Huge congratulations to Alex and Fendy, I'm sure the two of them will do an excellent job as CT leaders! I would type the five paragraph essays that everyone else is writing, but I'm not at my computer sooooo :eek:

And here's my five paragraph essay:

The contribution team is a hard-working team, and I think that we should all respect what they're doing. I know that most people aren't trying to be mean and just sharing their opinion, and I'm not blaming them. Nobody is perfect, and everyone or every group of people must have their flaws, or they're robots.

I think that we should all be thankful (I know that Thanksgiving is over, and some people don't celebrate it) for the contribution team. I'll bet you that every single player registered on this forum has gone onto the wiki to look up something. The CT are the ones that keep it straight (if my facts are correct.) Now, please, don't go and say "I've never looked at the wiki" because I'm sure you have.

Double trouble. You've heard of that before. Many people believe that two leaders may cause a lot of trouble within the community, and I was too lazy to read why (sorry! I'll do it later tonight.), but as you know, these team leaders are specially picked by our wonderful admins. If I know something, the leaders must be the best that there are, or they wouldn't be a "team leader."

Two leaders, both good at what they do and wise, is not a bad thing. I know that this may cause some counter-thoughts within the community, but I just want everyone to know that there shouldn't be too much fuss about two leaders. It's like having two heads of a server. Sure, the majority of servers want to have a sole leader that makes all the money and pays for everything, but knowing from personal experience, two leaders is the way to go. Two leaders can make more thought through than one. After all, two brains are better than one.

I disagree with some other points of view. Communication with two leaders would be good. This would bring two opinions together before making a decision, instead of one which many people might dislike and show hate against. This is not good for it would just cause another thread similar to this one, where many are arguing over what is better. Sure, I completely agree that everyone has their own word and they can say what they want, as I am doing right now.

Communication would increase when there are two leaders. Two people can get on at two different times (unless they're magically bonded together), which means that if any of the other members of the teams need help they can directly ask one of the leaders, instead of having to wait for the only leader to come online. Personally, I hate having one leader because sometimes it takes me days, even weeks to reach the leader, and by then, someone else has already solved the problem that I have asked.

I just wanted to express my opinion to everyone. I apologize if there has been a message saying "stop the long writing", and apologize for making everyone read another long piece of text. However, everyone needs to understand that this was a decision already made by the head staff, and I'm sure it was thought through for a fair amount of time. They wouldn't just pick a random person off the streets to be the leader, now would they?