New Atlantia

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Kephras, Mar 19, 2013.

1. I didn't realize we were discussing peanut-butter... :confused:

I do prefer Chunky over Smooth though, yes.
    Jeanzl2000 and moyaboya like this.
  2. I did too, until the braces :(
    Also, why the limit on members?
  3. Hahhaa.

No I meant did you use Chunky to take those screen shots?
  4. Part of it is just paranoia - keeping a "relatively" low profile and trusting distance and seclusion to deter would-be griefers. The creepers are bad enough with EMC's spawning habits, the last thing we want to do is attract players with the same mindset.
    The other part of that is just a desire to stay small - I don't think when Bobcat and I struck out into the wild, we expected to make something others would even be interested in. Letting firelor join was something of a leap of faith for us both, which we were pleasantly rewarded by.
    To share a quick story, Rainbow and Newrach scared the sulfur out of us when we saw them both "drifting" our way. We three kept a careful watch on them all through the night via livemap - by the time they eventually made landfall on our continent, we were all having minor panic attacks and I was ready with FRAPS at a moment's notice, in case our mystery visitors turned out to be hostile.
    We didn't actually make contact (and peace), until the night mobs killed Newrach on the road outside our city. I recovered her things, and we were pleasantly rewarded again with friendly visitors.

Now we've grown enough that we feel comfortable expanding to a small handful of people, and we're surprised and pleased to see how well things have been developing. Foohman and Razierw have made a fantastic meeting hall to the south, the West District is filling in nicely, and Tarka has taken up the mantle for the site to our west, in the mountains. At least in the short term, that's about as much as we're prepared to handle - "kingdom" is probably the wrong word for New Atlantia, and decisions are largely reached through consensus and discussion, not sovereign edict. ;)

I've never heard of Chunky, they're just taken in-game with GLSL shaders - originally, a shader set by Zeeke, though I've been using Sildur and SEUL more recently (the bridge was with Sonic Ether's).
    TitansBobcat likes this.
  5. Updates galore!

-A centralized Crafting Hall
    2013-04-05_19.55.29.png
    Located in West District across the new bridge, it houses all necessary crafting elements - enchanting table, forges & anvils, brewing stations, organized storage, a high-speed stone generator and an obsidian generator. Plans include an improved farm system in the basement and sub-levels, though they've not been added yet.

-Halsgrof Hall
    2013-04-05_20.04.21.png
    Foohman & Razierw recently completed their meeting hall to the southwest. This impressive edifice looks to be the start of a small hamlet off the road south to firelor's city - an extravagant waypoint, meeting hall, inn, or whatever else they decide to designate it for.
    2013-04-05_20.05.28.png
    Apologize for the odd light-bars along the ceiling, my shaders do odd things with the underside of roofing stairs.

-Quartz Tunnel
    Determined to obtain the precious ores, Tarka established an impressively long tunnel into the unexplored reaches of the Nether. Unfortunately, the floor of the Nether is lethally far below and we were only able to recover a few veins of Quartz. While attempting to make our way downwards, Tarka fell prey to one of the buried magma sourceblocks - luckily he did not die in the lava and all items were recovered. Our next expedition will be smarter and more carefully planned...

-Spiders galore!
    While exploring some caverns near the city, LadyHorus and I discovered a set of four cave spiders, in close proximity. Plans are underway to merge them into a single grinder, which should prove a fantastic source of XP when complete.

-Video Tour
    I've contemplated and hinted at / promised a comprehensive video tour of New Atlantia for quite some time - finally, that project is underway.

-Applications have been reopened!
    Sadly, Curundu has taken his leave of us. Too many other wilderness and town projects demand his time and so we are once again accepting new applications.
    Please note: Commitment is essential! We are not a "casual" wilderness group, and there is no quick route back to town, short of breaking your bed and dying. We have no plans to implement a nether-route, as this could potentially expose us to unwanted visitors of ill intent. It's roughly 30m-1hr travel by boat, so if you wish to come, be prepared to stay.
    Do not apply if you feel you cannot commit to New Atlantia! We don't require you to log in every day or build constantly, but there's still a great deal left to do out here and we want people with the motivation and the commitment to see it through to completion.
    cadgamer101 and PenguinDJ like this.
  6. I will consider joining but, I am currently busy with other projects on smp 1 so perhaps.
  7. Ha - I hadn't seen this before - awesome ^^
  8. Updated the OP with a link to the texture pack. The water / lava textures are still pretty "meh" but I'll get those ironed out soon.
  9. It's been quite some time since this saw an update, but I feel it's worth mentioning.

While our settlement has gone largely quiet, we had a big event with a bigger visitor recently. On the desert coast northeast of our Spider Temple, Momentus decided to pay us a visit. Firelor, Foohman, R0bbieJo, and myself spent a night prepping to take down this monstrous zombie, and when dawn broke over the coast, we launched our attack.
    2013-07-06_13.51.21.png
    The battle raged from the coastline inland, pummeling him and his ever-growing Enraged horde up the winding river north, until at last he fell to our arrows and swords. His death rewarded us with several zombie heads, diamonds, viruses, and plenty of Shiny Flesh, but alas no Toothpick.

We have little doubt he'll be back though. Zombies never stay dead for long...
  10. I Love the place. You guys took time :). Have you had ny bosses come? *Cough* Marlix Burning Down Villiage * Cough
  11. If that were to actually happen I would not know what to do with myself..

No, yes I would, I would go a mile underground and start a new city.. :)
    Kephras and ISMOOCH like this.
  12. This is a very beautiful settlement, simple and organized feeling, but a look of slight complexity. I can't wait to see what you guys add.
  13. 2013-07-26_11.15.31.png

Momentus returned yesterday, apparently seeking revenge. TitansBobcat, Razierw, and Lehmaqr joined me in taking down the beast once more - unlike the last attack, this was more of a siege as we bombarded him from a distance. Our efforts to drive him into the ocean failed however. He became stuck in a quarry pit and could not be budged, creating a deathtrap for anyone unfortunate enough to be "drawn in."

The battle raged from mid-morning until well past dusk, when we began lighting up the desert to ward off any additional help from the usual night spawns. Bobcat and Razier were both forced to log out, due to being sucked into the pit - Lehmaqr was killed, but returned to help watch my back while I rained arrows on him from a safe distance. Eventually the giant zombie fell, his minions mopped up, and we split the rewards. We also claimed his Toothpick, which will hang in the Armory as testament to our victory.

As a final bit of news, I have retired Reaper - after all its service and two battles against Momentus, I feel the Undying Blade has at last earned its peace, and has been interred upon my wall in 16087. Irrelevant to most, I suppose, but at this point the sword is perhaps my most treasured item in all of EMC, and I'm no longer willing to risk losing it in combat.
    jacob5089, Baby_Cookies and cddm95ace like this.
  14. Are you guys planning on continuing the work here? Or is it considered abandoned?
  15. And yea I know. I bumped an old thread. my bad
  16. I'm still playing, but I really don't got that much time, what with work n' all.

Definitely don't consider my pad abandoned!
  17. Certainly not abandoned, just... dormant.
  18. Yo kephras! Do u have an updated version of that texture pack? If so, i would love it!
  19. The most current version so far is here, but it's missing some UI elements like the horse gauge.

To the folks who've submitted applications recently - as I've stated before, New Atlantia has kinda gone dormant over the past few months, so while the interest is appreciated, you'd be better off looking into an active outpost.
    That being said, it seems there has been some activity going on under the radar.

To whoever's expanded the northern wall across the river - not what I had in mind exactly, but I'm sure we can work with it. :) I only just discovered it today, and may need to make some adjustments to keep the proper city aesthetic (replacing birch wood with oak, for instance, cleaning up masonry details where necessary), but on the whole it's well done. Thank you.

To whoever began building the cobble bridge facing east: I'm sorry, but this is not something we want in/around the city limits. I've begun the process of taking it down, and while I can appreciate the work that went into it, I really wish you had left a sign or posted something on the forums indicating what you were up to, so that we could discuss it properly.
  20. Two things of note:
    • After much delay, I've once more updated the texture pack to 1.7.4. I'm not terribly happy with the new wood textures though, so they may see some adjustment in the future. Generally speaking, my goal is to stick as close as possible to vanilla textures while improving on them. (Download)
    • Could a staff member please mark this as "Established"? There's been some activity to the west in recent months and New Atlantia encompasses a pretty large region. We'd like to avoid any potential issues or land disputes, even if this has been dormant for a while.
    • Damn me for still not having that castle finished. >_<
    Cchiarell6914 likes this.