Need help figuring out how to get rid of unwanted mobs in my farm

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fred_TWK, Nov 26, 2021.

1. So, I've dug a 7x7 chunk perimeter. Given this discussion, nothing should spawn outside of it while I am in the center chunk.

I build some portal based farms in the perimeter.

All works fine, except that after a few minutes the mobcap is filled and some, basically shutting down the farms.

Zombie piglins should be taken care of by being attracted to turtle eggs and dropped on wither roses.

My hypothesis and what I tried (and failed)

- I tried going up to build limit, and stay there for a bit with cobwebs at regular intervals. Nothing, same problem with mobcap.

- I tried being moved by a minecart above the farms to activate mobs otherwise outside of EAR, no change

- I tried increasing the light level to prevent bats from spawning (even if there are no spawnable blocks outside of the farms inside the perimeter, and the farms are well lit by the portals), no change.

I am at a loss, what's going on here? what are these mobs filling the mob cap and how do I get rid of them?
  2. Just retested.

in the /entc report the worst area had 17 animals and 64 monsters after 20 minutes of afk.
    So I feel the zombie piglins are more of a problem than the bats, but still, there should not be any bats :/
  3. I'm not sure what kind of farm you have or purpose but from my experience on a couple diff farms is that the piglins are not taking damage from the wither roses just out of activation range for the effect. On a test I did, I could see a mob standing on a cactus taking no damage and not despawning, when I got closer the activation for the cactus started to hurt the zombie. This told me that the EAR is smaller than the spawning Range.

IMO your piglins are spawning in but not taking damage from roses just outta range but still within /entc range. As you go check it of course you'll see them taking damage as you load in the mechanics. My solution was to kill with fall damage. I had to redesign what I intended to build to accommodate for this. Not even sure this is your issue but an issue I found I had to deal with.
    Fred_TWK and EfficiencyV like this.
  4. yeah, I am aware that EAR is way smaller than spawn range, but I thought that the exceptions would apply.

I guess I will redesign the killing method to use water elevators. hopefully that's the answer.

Thank you!
    Merek_Shadower likes this.