Need build advice on mall build...

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by mjnoe70, Aug 18, 2017.

1. So do we need another mall? Probably not, but I want to make one. I have been doing some test builds with look and layout.

NOTE: i am only using one 60x60 res

Here is the first part that I'm struggling with... height of internal rooms.

So my inital plan was to basically have each floor follow the same "size pattern" in height. If we say 64 is the floor, I would then have my ceiling at 72 based on my plans. However, this 7 block height gap just feels like way to much wasted space. I thought this offered some nice head room for certain things but when I did it I didn't care for it.

I do want the build to seem large in height in the end and I have worked out about 14 "floors" for the products.

I'm looking for people who have built larger builds, malls, museums, etc... for your input please.

NOTE: this is not for say the lobby/entry area and keep in mind as a mall build I need the ability to house products, which I plan to try to have almost everything.
    607 likes this.
  2. I have not built any malls and I'm ashamed to say I haven't built and tower's yet.....:(

That aside I would say 7 blocks high would be fine if the overall design of the build was kept on a small width scale. I don't know how wide of a base you wanted to cover..

I had more thoughts but then I lost them... ( Goodbye marbles!!!!) lol
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  3. I have build a few malls now... (three full res malls, two museums)
    I suggest using a 5-7 block space for the celing with jump boost 2, and a 4-6 block celing wouthout it. Also, it's always nice to make little difference in the mall floors, just to give it a little more interesting look from outside, This is something I did recently that show that off proberly I guess:

For the rest of the design: I suggest not making it too complicated, most people tend to heavily overdetail their malls, remember it's a big building, you don't need much detail per floor (nor just for modern)
    Lastly, don't forget about your landscaping, it's something that makes everything look better :p
    607 and mjnoe70 like this.
  4. I plan on keeping it full 60x60 ish, with in a couple blocks of max
    would you expect it to be higher or lower than 7 if I am doing a bigger build?
  5. I suggest not making it over 7 blocks unless you plan on making multiple floors one one floor :p But I'm personally not a fan of high ceeilings annyway, so it might differenciate :p
    607 and mjnoe70 like this.
  6. thanks, i will have to review my plans a bit I think. I do want room for an upper sell chest, hopper to lower buy chest but there is more than one way to do that and still only 2/3 blocks height.
    607 likes this.
  7. Keep in mind to make sure the shop stands are to scale to your build.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  8. So I liked this because it is a learning point, I'm not sure I understood what you are noting.

Would this be say the area taken by a single item or that group. Just trying to figure out if this is making sure I don't have a bunch of unused open floor space due to have huge rooms and no products or would this be maybe more grand/larger buy/sell bin decor and layout? (maybe both)
  9. Well for a Mall, You need a stand for your items... You need to make sure that when you build that stand, it fits the floor, and does not look too small or too large, while also being good for the customers to see the stuff.

Here is my WIP Mall. I have yet to add details but you can see the shop stands that hold the items.

You can see that its good to be seen from a far distance (Note this is a old stand, I have updated already to a new version).

Below you can see another floor, I have spread the stuff to scale to the floor, and note i have the same TP stands on the floor, and everything is to scale, with some design space but that does not effect the floor shop stands.

Dose this make more sense now?

~Finch
    mjnoe70 and Jelle68 like this.
  10. yeppers, but me putting it in to practice will be the real catch I think. BTW, very nice looking wip you have going on.
    607 and finch_rocks_1 like this.