NaNoWriMo 2016...

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by lauwenmark, Oct 31, 2016.

1. ... Starts tomorrow. For those who don't know what it is, it is a writing challenge: one has to write a 50,000 words novel in a single month, between 1st and 30th November.

clicky link !

I'll attempt it this year. Will any of you do? What will you write for it?
    Kephras and 607 like this.
  2. I'm doing this! Currently in a mad scramble to finish my outline. :confused: This is my first time, and I'm excited. I'm writing about genetically engineered dragons who escape from a lab. The scientists who created them have to try and keep them from escaping to the nearest city.
    lauwenmark and Kephras like this.
  3. Oh, yeah! I heard about this before! Good luck, and have fun! :) Be sure to keep committed throughout the month, and not do it for two days, then skip three weeks and then start writing frantically.
    lauwenmark, Kephras and TomvanWijnen like this.
  4. I have no ideas. :( My pen has been wordless for a couple months, even my actual novel has stalled out (and that was topping 62k words). I desperately need something to spark some inspiration.
    lauwenmark and 607 like this.
  5. Time to unexpectedly kill an important character. ;) A fun choice when everything is too comfortable. (Hopefully GoT will not make the technique commonplace.)
    lauwenmark likes this.
  6. I try this thing every few years - I think the most I did in one month was around 20k words and no where near a finished product.

Quoted you Keph because if you want you can bounce (or pounce as it were) ideas off me if you want - my inbox is open. I'm particularly good with Sci-Fi and Fantasy ;)
    lauwenmark likes this.
  7. My main cast is way too small for that. Where I'm at now, killing anyone off "unexpectedly" would leave a gaping hole in the story. GoT this is not.

Pfft, where were you months ago when I was asking for help?
    Jokes aside, what I really need is to get my muse back. She was delivering story segments on the regular, this time last year, and somewhere along the way she stopped. I think it was when I made the decision to go back to the beginning and overhaul it, halfway through. (The literary equivalent of re-paving a road.)

Anyway, I didn't mean to make this all about my book. Turns out there are quite a few authors on EMC.

Sounds like fun! Makes me think of Reign of Fire for some reason.
    607 likes this.
  8. Sounds fun! Reminds me a short story I wrote eons ago about a pack of fantasy adventurers (you know, the classic warrior-priest-wizard trio) trying to find where the dragons the legends spoke about went... Only to find out that they were, in fact, nuclear ballistic missiles.

If that's your first time, good luck! That's a very fun challenge, but also a difficult one. A lot of caffeine often helps :D
    607 and Kephras like this.