Multiple Potions extend timer instead of resetting

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by TheDarkAngel7, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Hey!

Had this idea floating around for a while now... but let me introduce it to you folks.

When you consume a potion of night vision extended for example, it gives you 8 minutes of night vision, but when you consume a 2nd night vision potion, it just resets that 8 minute timer (that's the vanilla behavior). My idea is to change the behavior of potions to add to that timer instead of resetting, so for example if you have 1:15 of Night vision remaining and you consume another Night Vision extended potion, that timer gets set to 9:15 so the old night vision potion will still wear off and then immediately starts the new one you consumed.

What do you folks think? I think this would be pretty handy especially if you're doing a marlix fight and you want to consume 2 strength extended potions you'd get 16 minutes of strength.

However if you consume a Strength potion but then you consume a Strength II potion, I think that'd be debatable of how the server should handle that... I would say Strength III for the Strength II duration, but what do you think?
  2. It's a vanilla mechanic and changing it would not have a huge impact. In fact it would probably be detrimental because a lot of people just bed down against bosses and are happy to die/attack/die/attack/kill boss. Then you want the multiple potions in a chest nearby rather than drinking them up front.

It just feels OP and not a change everyone's screaming out for.
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  3. I agree with Bara, it would change the mechanics of potions dramatically and would change the mechanics how PVP uses them and how to battle others in PVP matches. I... do not think that PVP-ers would like that... It's not OP on the same level as "throw-able milk potion flasks", but... it's something that (I'm sure) Mojang has thought hard about before.

4. Could be possible in 1.14+ with data packs but this server is vanilla - 1