-Moople's Builds-

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MoreMoople, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Hey all!
    I really like building, so I figured I would start a thread to share builds that I'm working on :)
    If you have any constructive critisicm, please share it. I am always looking to improve my builds. Keep in mind though, a lot of the screenshots I will be sharing here will be of incomplete builds that I am working on. Just because it's made of stone doesn't mean it set in stone ;)

I do not use mods or shaders with my builds, with the occasional exception of schematica to recreate something on EMC. :)

I think I've talked enough now, so here is my current build project!

This is based off of the Duomo of Milan in Milan, Italy. I started it on August 31, 2018, and I have been working on it in my freetime :)
  2. Wow mople I need to get you to build me things :p
    Nickblockmaster and MoreMoople like this.
  3. Oh wowzers! :eek: (had no idea you were that amazing at building large buildings) :oops:
  4. So awesome :)
  5. You like to build, but I have YET to see that darn squirrel statue you promised!!
  6. Did you use blocks for the black openings? I feel like natural shadows weren't so very intimidating in Minecraft. :p
  7. Someday... :rolleyes:

I did, lol. I used black concrete and coal blocks, but I might change it later :)

Thanks for the positive words, everyone! I look forward to building more of this :D
  8. This looks super cool MoreMoople!
  9. This is awesome! I can't wait to see more of your builds, Moople! :D
  10. Looking fairly decent :p
    You asked for critisism, I'll give you critsisem :p

The first thing I notice when I look at that build is that the surroundings don't exactly match the build itself: Cathedrals, genually, don't tend to be build on the tops of mountains, but correct me if I'm wrong. I know that you probably did not think about it, and that's alright. But it really is good to remember that a good surrounding can really help a building: If a surrounding fits with the building it can lift the building up, making it look batter as it would be without.

Then, You are working on a cathedral from the baroque. Baroque is one of those things I tend to avoid: The detail in this time period obviously is unmatcheble in minecraft. There are genually good statues on every pillar and arches all over the place. I have never tried it seriously, but based on other styles, I'd suggest to just make a mess of slabs and stairs at the place you need detail.
    Doing this actually can work, and has worked for me in other cenario's. It sounds strange, and feel strange to work on, as it does not look good from up close, but, from a far, it can actually really work. I mean, when you look at pictures if thease cathedrals, you too won't take in all the detail there is: you just see a mess of it (that's at least me). Making this mess effectivly genually is really hard, but if you really want to recrate this cathedral in minecraft, I suggest you give it a shot :)

Lastly, I really like how you use multiple tones of white effectivly. I have sen things like use snow, and just detail that with quartz stairs and all that, but you nicely made the colouring feel in-place. :)
  11. wow these are fantastic!!!!
  12. nice its so nice moremoople and 1 thing never seen you in game
  13. Thank you for your input :)
    I did try to pay attention to the surroundings, but it is something that I could improve upon in future builds. I wanted to select an area where it would snow, as I looked at images, and the ones during winter appealed to me the most; the snow just seems to have a calming aspect. I would like to build a bit of the area surrounding the cathedral, and then transform the landscape to a less mountainous scene.

Thank you for the tip, I will try to incorporate it in when I find areas that would be best suited with this form of detail. :)
  14. I've done a bit more work, so here's some newer pics! :)

I am planning to do more work on the back and the roof, and then I will start on the interior! :)
    liamwill, khixan, weeh and 7 others like this.
  15. this is so moopletastic! <3
  16. Small update! :)
  17. Yes, because that is only a small building...