[Mini-Guide] How to catch up to them Turkeys

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ShelLuser, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Hi gang!

We all know this critter by now I'm sure...

Some players love 'm, others can't stand 'm. And many players often struggle with actually finding & capturing one. Yeah, well, officially the Turkey season is over. But don't worry (or.. maybe do worry): that doesn't mean that they're suddenly all gone. No, this Turkey is one of those custom mobs which seems to have the ability to trick its masters (or so I think) and the only way the staff can get rid of him is by taking some very drastic measures :eek:

Uh, oh, I spoiled the secret.. :oops:.. But yeah, the upcoming waste reset? To get rid of these guys, it's the only way to be sure! :D

Anyway, now that the season is (semi?) officially over I figured that now is a good time to whip up a guide. I didn't want to do this during turkey season because I felt it was a little bit cheating, but now it's every turkey for themselves... Errr, wait... :D

Shell's tips for capturing turkeys
    • Plan your hunt: During the night hostile mobs will spawn. So if you're going out at that time then you'll create yourself a lot of extra trouble. Nothing says "Hasta la Vista, Turkey!" like a zombie and a skeleton with his creeper henchman do together. You'll be so busy fending them off that the turkey could easily be long gone when you're done.
    • Bring 2 stacks of cobblestone: The best way to kill a turkey is to lock it in a close space so that it can't run away. That gives you all the time you need to pluck it. Trust me: you're going to need it because these guys have insane amounts of health. Chances are high that you're going to need to eat during the fight, and it would be a shame if it would ran off again.
    • Bring extra gear: There is nothing more frustrating than to finally capture a turkey, and seeing your sword break when you're plucking it. Of course you didn't bring a spare, so now what? Either use voters gear (diamond voters sword) or be sure to bring spare material. You'll never know when you need it, these guys are very hard to kill!
    • Don't set /diff too high! There was a short rumor going around that a higher difficulty could lead to better drops. Aikar has already denied this: because the turkey isn't hostile it doesn't follow the same rules as mini bosses do. So you might want to keep your /diff to 5 or 6 so that when the turkey decides to call in some help its bodyguards (Marlix or Momo) won't auto-attack (mini bosses only auto attack on difficulty 7 or higher).
    This is a good setup to get the turkey: it can't run off...

• Seal yourself in: If you're on your own then definitely consider to build a roof as well unless you're absolutely sure there's nothing on top of you. Because if there are any Creepers spawning on ledges above then it's only a matter of time before they might drop in on you.
    I know, this is all boring theory which you probably could have come up with yourself. True, so lets move onto to more advanced tips & tricks:

• Start above, go down if needed:The distance between you and the turkey is given in chunks. A chunk is a 16 x 16 block area which reaches all the way from bedrock to the maximum build height. So in order to have maximum mobility its best to start above ground. That way you can move into any direction you want. At this point only 1 thing matters: getting a 0 chunks distance.
      • Keep in mind that Turkeys can also spawn above ground. And it's usually easier to dig down, than it is to climb back up!
    • Don't run & no horses! 16 blocks is something you can cover in a few jumps. So if you're 3 chunks away (48 blocks) then the last thing you want to do is keep running into the same direction. Slow down, walk slowly and wait for the next alerts. And speaking of which...
    • Pay attention to the [number]! The number at the end of a warning message tells you which turkey you're gunning for. So be sure to always pay attention, otherwise you might accidentally end up on a wild goose chase. And you don't want geese: you want turkeys! :p
    Watch the floor & the walls for nametags!

Look closely at the selected block, and you'll see a vague nametag.

As of MC1.9 mobs can have name tags too, and those are visible through other blocks as you can see above. So if you're getting closer to a turkey always be sure to carefully look around. You can't always see them from the top right away, but as you come closer you should eventually see something.

When the turkey gets going, you be patient!

Sorry, it doesn't rhyme ;) Turkeys often run with a pattern. They sometimes pass the same spot several times before (often accidentally:) running for another area. Sometimes you can get lucky and utilize that. For example by grabbing a shovel and digging a quick hole. With a little luck the turkey runs back, jumps in and you caught it.

Also: if it keeps on running just try to follow it, ignore hostile mobs when possible, and wait for the turkey to stand still for a moment. Those are the moments to utilize: when it eventually stands still you need to seal it in ASAP.

Avoid placing single blocks on the ground!

Notice how I started placing cobble 1 block above the ground?

Turkeys can (and will!) climb blocks faster than you can say: "Ooh, turkey!" :D. If you place a block on the ground then you can almost rest assured that the turkey will climb it. And if there's another block next to it then it will go there as well. And if there's another block one step up.... Turkeys can climb just as fast as they can jump in a hole and flapper down. So if you're not careful then a turkey will easily slip out of that cool prison you made.

Remember the picture above where Aya was fighting? Notice how the turkey stands on a block above her? Yeah, you really think that was coincidence? ;)

Time your attacks!

In case you haven't noticed: the combat changed in Minecraft 1.9. So just spam hitting a turkey with your sword (or axe) won't do you much good, it will only make it even harder. Time your strikes and try creating these 'swoop' attacks. That's a sure way to do maximum damage!

Be sure to check up on your loot!

This goes double when you're fighting in close spaces: sometimes the drop doesn't end up near you and if there's little extra room then it can glitch through the walls. So always make sure that you collected everything which the kill message showed. And if you noticed an alert mentioning a slicer and you don't got it yet be sure to dig out the walls around the place where you killed the turkey. When done with the walls move onto the ceiling and then dig out the floor.

It will be around you somewhere.

And last but not least:

Don't just wait idle for new turkeys to spawn, do something!

What fun is there in just standing idle in one spot? Sure, if you're chatting with other people then by all means: that's different. But otherwise I really advise you not to go idle. There's tons of resources around you, why not collect some and maybe even use it to build something?

I'm sure that by the time you're done building there are most likely several new turkeys in your surroundings. And what better way for taking a break from building by chasing one of these critters? ;)

And there you have it!

Several tips which really worked out well for me when I was chasing these critters.

Also: if you couldn't manage to get a slicer this year then you may get another chance. Aya & me are doing a give-away and there are three slicers up for grabs, see here (event ended).

Hope this can help some of you guys out!
  2. Very nice!
    I don't even care about the turkeys, but I really enjoyed reading this! ;)
    ShelLuser and AncientTower like this.
  3. Wow, what a guide.

I do love the Turkey Hunts....Sad to see the event over. But I know they're still gonna be runing around for a little while longer.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  4. Yeah, well, this is one of my favorite events afterall :) I really had tons of fun in the past week :)

And there's always the Frontier ;) It's amazing how much critters end up stuck in there :D
    607 and AncientTower like this.
  5. use boats, mine carts, or holes XD those work best
  6. I thought we couldn't see nametags through blocks, so maybe there is hope for me to get a "Turkey Slicer" yet... :)
    Only thing I know to add is F3+G. If you're in 1.10+, this will allow you to see the chunk borders which might make your turkey hunting easier. Still though, nicely written. I will use my newly gained knowledge to help me find that pesky turkey that spawned nearby yesterday. :)
    607 and ShelLuser like this.