[MEMORIAL SERVICE] September 11th Attacks

Discussion in 'Empire Events' started by Krysyy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. How about we all just stop, there is no reason to discuss this. Show respect to the victims of 9/11 not because they were Americans, but because they were innocent human beings who didn't deserve such a fate. It doesn't matter if it doesn't affect you, as a decent human being, show some respect and just keep your mouth shut.
    MHeller2017, ClareMuss and wisepsn like this.
  2. Probably could have been put a bit more respectively.

Either way, I don't think anyone was showing disrespect. Everyone is fine with the memorial happening to honor those who have fallen. :)
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  3. This was a memorial service for that that wanted to attend. It was not mandatory. If you didn't attend becuase you didn't feel the need to, that is fine by me. We only had a few mutes and one or so tempbans, so overall people were well-behaved.

Thank you to those that did attend and thank you to those that shared their stories. The special memorial residence on smp4 will stay up for now with some edits to prevent swimming put in tomorrow.

Once again, thank you for being the community that you are. You make it a joy to interact with you each day. :)
    Scorpio528 likes this.
  4. I have no obligation to show respect for someone who is going to start unnecessary drama.
  5. Well, there's no obligation to show anyone respect. It's just the right thing to do. When you get to a point where you feel it's an obligation, it becomes 'respect because you think its the right thing' vs. 'respect because you actually respect'.

I don't feel rd was trying to cause any drama. Just trying to get his opinion heard, which we're all entitled to. :)
  6. I do not agree with the bans of talking in town chat and agree fully with you there. I just don't get why people couldn't just do /c hide t and hide town chat. After all the ceremony was held in Local.
    rdmaster and corruptedsmile like this.
  7. Ah, it is good that it was held in local then. It sounded like it was held in town and people didn't want town to be used by players. But yeah, those there, could have done the hide town command for a while and things could go as planned. :)
  8. The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom.
    -Rudolph W. Giuliani.
    hashhog3000, Scorpio528 and wisepsn like this.
  9. 'Murica.
  10. Final clarification:
    The broadcast said that it is "asked" that the town chat stay silent and the memorial was held in local chat. The main reason it was asked that the town stay silent is that when seeing chat go by, people tend to not read if it was local or town. All they see is the chat. So if someone was in town talking about carrots, etc, a person at the ceremony might lash out and tell them to be respectful even though they didn't know they were doing something wrong. Get 5 people telling them to be nice, etc and you get spam of the 'shut up' variety. Something like that was what we intended to avoid.

Coordinating 75 people turning off town chat versus just asking that people be respectful, it is easier to ask for silence. We did not tempban anyone that talked in town chat solely because they talked. There IS a difference between talking in town chat nicely about random things and being disrespectful to the ceremony. Those that were very disrespectful were muted.
  11. Already been said but I say it again

Murica!!!
    Faithcaster likes this.
  12. The 1 or 2 people banned for talking were warned multiple times respectively, but they decided to ignore and continue being rude. It was asked for members to stay silent during the Moment of Silence, but some members decided they felt the need to make outrageous comments, rude remarks, and spam.

Overall, this was an amazing ceremony. It was well shaped and formed. Nobody expects us to be flawless(its what makes the empire). We just have to make do. It is better fix something that is broken than to start all over.
    sambish20 and Scorpio528 like this.
  13. I agree with you on most of the points you list, but something important is that people were asked many times to stop and the majority of mutes and tempbans were for people being disrespectful. These mutes and moderation action all followed multiple warnings.

Also, most people knew what was going on. There were probably 4 server wide announcements and many people explaining what was going on in town chat.
    sambish20, Scorpio528 and wisepsn like this.
  14. There is no need to discuss this any longer. The service was held and people were in general, respectful and considerate. No reason to talk about those who weren't.

I suggest the thread be closed.
    sambish20 and Scorpio528 like this.