Melon and Pumpkin Farm: Pretty Efficient, I think

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by Duck1D, May 18, 2020.

1. Me and a few friends (DDuck1D, skywalker998, thechalkmaster, and BrownieBoi967) made a farm on SMP2. The farm is a melon and pumpkin farm, mostly based on Ilmango's 1.14 design. At the time of writing this post, it has a rate of a single chest of items every about 5 1/2 minutes, or around 18,480 items per hour (288.77 stacks per hour). The end farm will have a total of around 6,350 stacks of items per hour!

The farm itself is located inside a 48x48x48 pumpkin pixel art, so we have a 46x46x46 space to work with. It's divided up into 4 sections, with a 4 block gap between the sections. Each "layer" of the farm is 4 blocks tall; from bottom to top they are farmland, plants, pistons and observers, and note blocks. You might notice that there isn't a collection layer, no hoppers or even minecarts. We actually came up with a new collection system (one that my friend skywalker998 is pretty proud of :p) where we use droppers above the farm to dispense melons and pumpkins from the farm down the water column that hydrates the farmland. Because of the 5 block item stackup radius, the dropped items collect more on the way down, ending with an entire stack of items heading down the water. This saved us a TON of space, and allowed us to fit an additional 5 layers vertically into the farm area. (~20 blocks of vertical space saved)

Ok so I know the output of the farm based on the time it took to fill a single chest using 2 layers of the farm from a single quarter of the farm. As I said, the rates of these two layers ended up with around 288.77 stacks per hour (filled a single chest in 5.61 min, or 5:37). If I divide that by the 2 layers, I get 144.385 stacks per hour per layer. We can only fit 11 layers vertically into the farm, and multiply that by the 4 quarter sections to get 44 layers total. Simply multiply the 144.285 and 44 together and we get the final projected rate of 6,352.94 stacks of items per hour! This rate can vary based on the amount of melons we get in the system, the TPS of the server, and even the efficiency of our item pickup system under high load, so take the number with a grain of salt. In order to keep up with the item storing demand, the whole farm would need 48 hoppers to be able to store the items fast enough.

The Beginnings of Insanity

If I was to... let's say... scale this up to the size of an entire Utopia plot (120x120x256), the number of drops would increase exponentially. I can divide the farm output by 42, 42, and 44 (46 block sides minus the 4 block space and 44 blocks tall to get the 11 layers) to get the average drops per block, in stacks per hour. This number happens to be ~0.081851 stacks per hour per block. Let's say I use 4 blocks of space for the item collection systems total (let's say 2 blocks on top and 2 on the bottom so players can pick them up since we can't use hoppers... you'll see why). This leaves the final space at 120x120x252, or 3,628,800 blocks. Multiply this by the stacks per hour per block and we get ~297,020.91 stacks per hour!

Shattered Minds (But not in Wynncraft lol)

Let's put the 297,000 stacks per hour in slightly more familiar terms. This is over 5,500 double chests filled, more than 11,000 shulkers, if we sold each stack of items for 1 rupee, we would get a million rupees every 3 hours and 22 minutes. In order to just collect the items, however, we would need over 2,112 hoppers just to be able to keep up with the amount of items flowing in.If we assumed that each 21x21x4 layer of the farm took 0.1 mspt of the server's capacity (the TPS basically), it would single handedly bring the server down to 4.86, assuming the server normally had 0 mspt of processing power (~205 mspt). If the server normally had only 50 mspt (20 TPS) we would bring it down to a staggering 3.91 TPS. If I soloed out only the pumpkins (1/5 to 1/6 the items on average) we'd have 54,003.8 stacks of pumpkins per hour. If we wanted to trade said pumpkins to 1.14 villagers, assuming they restocked 3 times a day and we traded 24/7 with them, we would need 12,800 farmers to keep up with the output, gaining over 576,040 emeralds per hour in the process.

In order to make this farm we'd need 8,976 observers, 9,504 pistons, and 9,504 note blocks (The smaller 46x46x46 one). It's quite the investment but we hope it will pay off! The farm's in SMP2, at /v +pumpkin. Be sure to check us out, and our other builds in the area too
    The farm stuff itself is complete. Now it is just decoration and making it not an ugly dirt block.
    Will update with more pictures soon.

Special thanks to:
    Bankzzzy (More glowstone than I care to count, much appreciated)
    burgertown (300k, SC of Iron, SC of Glowstone, DC of Redstone Blocks)
    wafflecoffee (9 stacks of Noteblocks)
    BennyBeltsJets (8 stacks of trapdoors, 20 stacks of quartz)
    QuantumBeane (DC of Spruce Logs)

And possibly more if you donate! We currently still need: 8,217 Observers, 8,674 pistons, 8,818 note blocks, and as many chests and hoppers as you want! The good new is at least we don't need the 910,000 of each for a Utopia sized farm! According to the prices I've seen, it would cost us 483,494 rupees to buy the remaining supplies. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Written by skywalker998
    Edited by Duck1D
    Images by Duck1D
  2. Hey,
    that sounds like fun with math :)

To serve 12,800 farmers, assuming one player can attend to 20 farmers before the first one refreshes the trade, that would need 640 players online.

If pumpkins cost nothing, that is without taking the investment into count ...
    If a player spends 6 minutes taking pumpkins, attending to 20 villagers and making 20 x 3 x 12 = 720 emeralds and storing emeralds, and if we add some time needed to prepare, that would mean that production would cost around 2r - 3r per emerald.

Taking into account that the player doing that is soon bored to hell, I'd expect that having a big virtually cost-free source of pumpkins and melon slices would lower the cost of emeralds a bit from current 7-8 r, but not significantly.

Q1: How do you make sure that the items won't stack the other way, taking items out of the water stream and eventually despawning a stack of them?

Q2: is it / would it be possible to turn off the farm?
    607 likes this.
  3. I did a lot of the testing for this. so I hope it's OK if I answer.

A1: We did a lot of testing, and found this happens pretty rarely. It seems to happen when the items on the ground are newer than the dispensed items, and even so it's still rare. We simply decided to ignore the problem since A) It happens really rarely and B) we can just drop a second item a few seconds later to get rid of it. The only way this farm can miss items is for an entire stack of items to develop before we can drop another item down the stream, which safe to say is extremely rare. That being said, we do have some losses in the system, but for the overall block efficiency it's worth it.

A2: There currently isn't any way to turn off the farm using redstone or manual controls. Right now an admin of the plot simply needs to disable pistons on the res to stop it from working. We can reset it by breaking a crop every layer to fire all the pistons after a stop. We were considering using redstone lamps to turn off the growing for the most part, but that would reduce the block efficiency by about 20% and wouldn't stop the farm entirely anyways.

Also, the math was very fun :p
    M4ster_M1ner likes this.
  4. This farm is crazy fast! I just sent 100k your way for materials! Enjoy! Keep up the good work!
  5. Sent over 9 stacks of note blocks :)
  6. I’ll send over some materials when I hop on later.
  7. sent about 8 stacks of trapdoors, need any more, just ask :)
  8. Sent over 20 stacks of quartz
  9. You got a chest for donations? I can use my Farmland outpost to grow the wood needed for chests.
  10. Oh yeah, forgot to update the post

THE FARM IS COMPLETE!

except for decor and stuff that I'll have to work out later
  11. AAAYYYEEE!!!!