Losing Everything.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EnderMagic1, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Hey Community.

A few months ago, I finished the heavy load of school finals and gained more free time. One thing that I missed most of the school year was the EMC forums. I was really looking forward to do EMC-related stuff again. Responding to threads, making graphics, and doing blogs would take up some of my free time. However, there was one thing I totally forgot about during my absence.

I went derelict. I had four residences and all of them were taken by newbies. As a result, I am struggling to come back to EMC again. Just thinking about losing all my promos, effort, mansion, horses, memories, and time- all gone. I feel like there are so many other open residences for new players. Why does EMC have to take from more "elderly" players? Is it possible for another new player system? I'm just so frustrated. I can probably never log-in online again. Everytime I might open my vault, I would think about my derelict residences and then just quit. Help please? :(
  2. So... yeah that’s definitely a problem for the more older members where they logout for a month plus and lose their resident due to the system unclaiming it. I think you should make a suggestion about giving a grace period before the resident gets unclaimed and wiped while derelict.
  3. It should be noted that the OP, EnderMagic1, his last login was 3 months previous when the system reclaimed his residence. When returning to the empire, he had not logged in for 146 days. No voting during the time period.

It should be noted that the algorithm used to calculate derelict reclaims, does prefer new-derelict players first. Also considers players that have not been on in a very long time before others that just hit 30 days.
    kaptrix, 607, TomvanWijnen and 4 others like this.
  4. I think around 400 days or something the derelict time period should rise to 60 days, vice versa
  5. I can imagine how difficult and frustrating this is for you. To lose everything you've ever worked towards and had friends pitch in to help along the way. The sacrifice and commitment alike all gone in a matter of resetting it all to dust. No matter what it is to someone else, the beauty we see in the things we create is always priceless.

I'm not sure that the derelict system works effectively on the better end of things, but then again, I don't entirely understand the complexity of how it operates entirely choosing plots to be reset and such. I do know that you can request to staff (Krysyy I think), that your account(s) be protected from going derelict if you know you will be away for awhile without any chance of being able to log back in or vote.

If you would like any help on your uneasy and rather saddening return I wouldn't mind lending a hand where I can. Sorry for your loss! :(
  6. Perhaps think of the best thing you liked doing while you were logged in to EMC, then start doing that again? I will help in any way I can.
  7. Yeah, Krysyy helped give 3 months of protection for my residents cause my computer broke down and I wasn’t sure if my regular voting would save it. I suggest either doing that, vote or get a permanent derelict voucher before.
  8. Same here, smp3 is always welcoming of their veterans ! You have fwiends here !
  9. Back in 2016, I was in your position, maybe worst because I had 0 rupees and empty vaults, but I had my friends to help me out. I was able to pick myself up in a matter of months, and helped to bring rise to a new submarket (which btw is still very much in development). I think if you choose to return, everything will be uphill from there, and maybe you’ll end in a better position than you were before going derelict.

EDIT: can I just say how amazing voting is? That, plus some expensive horse sales got me to 500k in 2 months, of which was used to buy you already know... My current balance is also close to 2mil so, yeah.
  10. Though I agree this is a bummer, I dont think it would be right for "more elderly" players have a different derelict policy from players of less time on the server than them...

It just isnt right and is not what EMC stands for
  11. I can sympathize to a certain extent with your frustrations, I have too lost almost all my possessions in the past, however I do not believe it's fair to accuse EMC taking from "elderly" players.

While it's unfortunate that you've lost your residence and items, there were precautions that could have been taken to have assured the safety of your items. As stated previously, if you were aware of your long-term absence, contacting admins and regular voting were options, and perhaps if you were unable to monitor the derelict status of your residences yourself, you had the option of contacting a friend and asking them to help monitor for you.

Considering you hadn't logged in for around 5 months (146/30 = 4.8), I find it hardly unfair that your residences were reset and reclaimed by newer players. It's just how the system works. Every player is made aware of this system from the moment they join, and what will happen when this timer is met. It's made clear that it's up to the player's responsibility to ensure that they look after their belongings, and each day that a player passes over their derelict timer is another day that their items are at a known risk of being lost.

I don't believe that this derelict timer in-game should be extended past 30 days considering that it's a supporter perk and able to be permanently extended through the permanent derelict protection voucher, hence implementing such a feature would defeat the purpose of the supporter perk and voucher. Unfortunately, even if an extended derelict timer was applied to older members of the community, it more than likely still wouldn't have helped you in your case.

Personally I find it an issue that older players feel entitled to more perks simply for being online for a certain amount of time. If you're a non supporter, then you're a standard player and should be treated as such, no matter your join date. As an older member of the community myself, I don't feel for there to be any issues concerning the acknowledgement and perks of being older members. I understand for some the need to feel acknowledged, however isn't trophy awards and forum titles enough? not to mention the number of days since joining under /p ? In my opinion, the reward shouldn't be within the perks received but in the community and experiences you have whilst participating in the community :). If that isn't the case, then you're here for the wrong reason.

Perhaps a solution instead of extending the derelict timer might be to look into implementing a section on the forums that allows players to view when their last in-game login to help keep track of their derelict status, or a sort of a reminder for players to vote when their derelict timer is nearing 0.

I'm not trying to dismiss your situation in any way, I do feel sympathetic for your losses, however I feel your frustrations are misdirected. It's up to you if you want to rebuild your way back up, just remember that you haven't lost everything. What's done is done, and you can't change that. You've still got your contribution team member title on the forums, you've still got the items in your vault and rupees in your bank, and most importantly you've got people in the community willing to help you build your way back up again :)

I wish you luck for whatever you choose to do.
  12. If It makes you feel better I've gone derelict three times and lost my space needle, so many res's, and builds so many time I've started to lose count. However, you get back in there, because it's not your builds that make you great, it's you! and you will rebuild and create again, this time better! If you ever need any help come visit me on Smp2!
  13. Well, I feel your pain. I lost mine due to the computer I was using, which was an old MacBook Pro made in 2010, taking a crash on me.
  14. Aw, that's a shame.
    'vice versa'? :confused: If you're around for 60 days the derelict time period should raise to 400 days? :p
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  15. iv been back and forth on being interested in the server over the years, i think one time i was gone for 2 months or more and none of my plots were retaken by new users or basically anyone else lol

its a big pain in the butt tho, just getting it all wiped off, i do feel like the direct limit should be extended for older players so noob res's still are reset after awhile, but no so much, maybe 60 or 80 days tbh, any higher would seem unnecessary in my option and cause issues with the server

but ill def but willing to also help in anyway i can~ just gimme a list lmao
  16. Hang in there and do what you do and you'll have fun coming back no matter how the journey starts.
  17. I said if you are 400 days old it should rise to 60. But I realized it should probably raise to 800 days
  18. Personally when i came back i went derelict. I had to start all over again other than the stuff in my vault and enderchest. That wasn't a problem for me though, as I believe the fresh start was just what i needed to get back into EMC! Sure, my hard work was gone, but i got to do it all again 100% better!
    PhoenixAffinity and RainbowPony like this.
  19. I hope everything will resolve soon dude I miss your amazing art
  20. Must hurt to lose everything... :( I hope you can regain some of the items you lost. Don't give up on EMC!