Keep down the chatter

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Nerfzooka, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Now that the wastes have been reset I often start from nothing. As a poor player I may be occupying dark mine tunnels for many hours. Imagine no torches and no armor tunneling with stone tools, hoping not to fall into a pit, hearing a spider's, sucking noise and BAM the voter message blares out in fluorescent green. Maybe its the upgrade message or the an event announcement. Those things are blinding! I have to just hope no mobs find my undefended self before the neon thing fades away and I can see again. I turn off the chat but the announcements still appear and take up most of the screen. Can you keep it down to one line? And have it fade away faster? Thanks.
  2. I think it gets out of hand at times, a /pm setting would be nice.
    FadedMartian and Equinox_Boss like this.
  3. This hasn't really bothered me at all and I never payed attention to it but I can see where your coming from. Maybe bringing it down to just 1-2 lines would be nice.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Interesting suggestion, and I have to agree with; sometimes I see so many announcements that they become a bit boring and I would really appreciate the option to turn the whole thing off. The problem is that this is a bit two-fold... I can also understand why EMC advertises so frequently: there are many players coming on and off and to make sure everyone gets the message it gets repeated quite a bit.

However, there is the command /chat tips on/off, with a counterpart: /chat tip which should display a random tip. I don't think this has any effects here but it is something worth looking into I guess.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. For the time being, if you're not mid-fight you can do /c clear to clear your chat. I know it's not what you're looking for, so your suggestion still stands, but that cuts away your fade time (assuming you're able to type at the moment).
  6. I don't see why we need to see the same message 100's of times a day every day. I get having it when something new is released or something important needs to be said. I've read them all, seen the info on the forums, that should be enough. If there was a way to stop seeing them once you acknowledged them, that would be great. We've been seeing the same 5 lines about updating to 1.11.2 for close to 2 months now. Surely no one who's active doesn't already know this.
  7. I completely agree. Especially when I'm hunting down a pack of nether hounds at close range. That is super annoying. I don't mind having clear messages from the server, but this one is kinda big and visually noisy.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. Does /ch off affect this?
  9. Yes. Then it's all you see :D
    Equinox_Boss and TomvanWijnen like this.
  10. Lol! Ok maybe not.
  11. The reason they have to show so often is because its a global broadcast, and we need to ensure it reaches as many people as possible.

The goals, and the only solution we are taking to this problem, is to make it so that announcements are recorded per-user last time they are seen, so you only see it once per day or so (or configurable per announcement)

Just as with every other thing.... it takes time to do and is not the current priority.
  12. Thanks for the /c clear command info, Hashhog That might help.
  13. Thanks for the dev/marketing side of the story, Aikar.
  14. If the announcements were dark colors instead of light, it wouldn't blind players toiling in the dark so much. Dark messages might blind people who are flying, though. I don't have any experience with elytra but it seems that's also a bad time to cover the screen. Has that ever happened to you?
  15. When did server announcements cover the entire screen? I thought You were talking about the mob announcements like, ' the area is getting colder' or 'you sense an erie presence'.. The other announcements don't really blind players. -1
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  16. The 1.11.2 Announcement easily combined with the default mc gui takes up a good 3rd of my screen.. perhaps entire screen is at the peak of activity, such as streaming broadcast messages, along with emc events going on at the same time?
  17. hmm.. Didn't see it yet. I guess I'm a lucky person. :p
    FadedMartian likes this.
  18. Hey Kids! I found a way to block seeing the updates. It also blocks seeing your hotbar and your own hands: press F1. For those who haven't seen the message blocking the screen it looks like this:
    Not blocking the whole screen, but maybe a quarter.
    Thanks for doubting the extent of the problem, Endermanmagic. I found the F1 fix while trying to get a screenshot for you to see.
  19. They are brightly colored so they catch the eye easily, attract players, and contrast from blocks so they are easily readable
  20. This has been suggested before, and I honestly don't understand why it keeps getting ignored. I'd also like to take a journey into a new topic. Staff Event Advertisements. If I can only advertise my event once every hour, how come the staff can use 6 lines of colored chat 5 times in one hour to advertise an event that happens at close to the same time each week, gets special little pictures on the calendar, and is also main-paged on the forums? I mean I can totally understand special events getting that form of treatment, but frankly I don't think Miner Mania needs that spam. It's obnoxious. Actually, advertisements in general that EMC runs globally are obnoxious.

+1 because this suggestion is relevant AF
    FadedMartian and TomvanWijnen like this.