Items got removed from my hotbar

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by thommylicious, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Today at around 2 or 3 AM EMC-Time I was digging dirt at my res when suddenly the items of my hotbar got removed. (One by one but very fast)
    Also I noticed the sound of chests being opened a few minutes after that happened. Obviously there was some staff in vanish.
    Aikar and Carolmoss were online at that time and I thought it was some kind of prank. I asked in chat, if there was a reason for a mod to remove those items and Carolmoss answered that mods aren't able to to something like that. I didn't ask any futher questions then.

Screenshot of my hotbar before that happened.

I'm curious about why that happened or why I deserved that.
    Egeau and 607 like this.
  2. So did you get all of your items back or did you end up losing lots of stuff?
  3. I don't really care about the items, they are easy to replace. I demand an explaination why staff would do something like that.
    I didn't expect that to happen on this server, thats just it.
    Egeau, 607 and UltiPig like this.
  4. I'm asking staff to see what was going on.

Carol is correct in that moderators cannot do what you described. Senior staff and Admins can, but they should have put the items back if they messed with you and they don't make a habit of trolling players without making it obvious and they would make sure you were into it for fun. This definitely sounds weird to me so I'm investigating.
    607, thommylicious and wafflecoffee like this.
  5. So we figured it out...let's just say someone had a joyride with Aikar's acct...

We're investigating any and all aspects of the incident, but it only applied to his game acct and not the site.
    Please send a list of any missing items with details to https://pmss.emc.gs and we will work toward replacing them.
    ttyler333 and 607 like this.
  6. Goes to show how important 2 factor authentication is for accounts. Sadly even with unique passwords that wasn't shared anywhere or even similar to any password, the fact Minecraft didn't have any brute force prevention in place, someone was able to keep trying until they figured it out.

Sadly Mojang has not finished giving 2FA to all MC players yet.

I'm in the process of regaining access, so yes my account is banned for now. meme it up :(
    MoreMoople, liamwill, Egeau and 5 others like this.
  7. Damn so it was Brute force? Not a phishing e-mail? That's what I had figured happened... Sucks that it happened. I had my EMC forums hacked a while back and it sucked :oops:
  8. yep, and talking some people in my communities, apparently it's happening to a lot of people. Guess the bad guys have figured out mojang has no protection for this.
    liamwill, 607 and Sefl like this.
  9. I experienced the same thing (items being moved), but only to the 26 netherrack in my hotbar. My netherrack disappeared and reappeared twice.

So, before last night, was that you on your account during those other nights?

607 and liamwill like this.
  10. No that was them, but I checked logs from both times they were on, and thankfully did not do really much at all beyond teleporting to some people and a few worldedit commands to set tnt and drain (im sure they were sad to see TNT didn't blow up the vanilla way :p)

most they did with emc's commands is spawn a giant.
    607, liamwill and Sefl like this.
  11. a suggestion for everyone is to update your passwords to be really long, 20+ characters, with special characters, mixed case and numbers, to make it really hard to brute force.

Sadly I dropped the ball in not using a super complicated password so that I could remember it and manually type it in, but guess it'll be copy and paste only from here.
  12. Well now if someone gets your keypass file, they know how to open it :p
    liamwill, Tuqueque and FadedMartian like this.
  13. i assume this was not targeted towards you and it was simply random? like it wasnt somone from EMC, correct?
    pewdiepiggy likes this.

14. I can attest to this, remembering being AFK some years back and returned to find someone had covered me in bedrock :p just for fun.

Item 1, 27 shulker boxes full of shulker shells :p
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  15. I'm guessing "pussycat" :D
  16. oof! no way! Whoever it was came to my iron farm that I was "afking" on my alt in an in the air afk spot (although I was at my keyboard, just was breeding animals with my main account in town) when I heard some weird noises happening on my alts launcher that I normally never hear and switched over real quick to find myself floating in a water stream towards lava.... -_- almost died. lol thankfully I wasn't fully afk otherwise I might've.
    KatydidBuild and UltiPig like this.
  17. Correct, they didn't seem to know anything about EMC's special features, as otherwise they would have abused them (promos, rupees, etc). Doesn't even look like they tried to op any of their other accounts, just opped some random players who were online and then deopped them.

As for why I was targeted, I am constantly emailed about my minecon capes, cape accounts are high value targets, so i'm sure it was just people trying to steal cape accounts, and they likely googled me to find a server they might have op on and found EMC.

Also just wanted to state ahead of time, ingame access has no access to sensitive information. Forum password is absolutely different, and has 2 factor auth.

I don't even really have anymore powers than Senior Staff other than the ability to create Supporter vouchers (admin only thing).

We make staff use square for most stuff, so in game access is pretty limited. And even if they used creative to spawn in diamonds, I'm sure i've done worse in my drop parties haha.

So absolutely no information was accessed, just the trolling they did in game.
    607, liamwill, Egeau and 1 other person like this.
  18. 2FA is the only reason I'm okay with the Microsoft account thing. With how often minecraft accounts get stolen, it is far overdue for them to get 2FA.
  19. Rip Aikar's account, hopefully you get it back soon... I'll begin changing my accounts' passwords then...
    FadedMartian likes this.