Is there any way that I can force an oak sapling to grow a small tree?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by We3_MPO, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Cutting large oak trees is exceedingly annoying! I can just cut a spiral staircase into large spruce, large jungle or dark oak trees and take advantage of the vines with large jungle and mangrove trees, but there's no such way to do so with large oak trees. That's saying nothing of the branches, which require you to clear leaves cleverly to get every single log, or else the leaves won't decay.

I know that it's possible to crowd the ground to force it to grow a large tree, so I was wondering whether the opposite may be true too. I plan to build a super tree farm at the MPO as an alternative to the smaller underground one that FerretArez built, and I'd like to spare others the frustration of cutting large oak trees if at all possible.
    607 likes this.
  2. If memory serves, yes, just use a roof. Think it's 8 blocks up. You may want to double check that number, but I think that's right or close to it.
    KatydidBuild, We3_MPO and 607 like this.
  3. You need to place 1 block or slab 11 blocks directly above where you are planting the sapling. this will make sure you always get a small tree. This works for all the basic trees.
  4. I figured. I recall a time long ago that oak wood could grow through blocks (even obsidian), though. Thanks to you both!

Well, spruce, birch, jungle, acacia and mangrove don't have large 1x1 variants. Just oak.
    khixan likes this.
  5. They won't grow through furnaces.

And mangrove can grow giants even by the 1 sapling only.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  6. Thanks!

True. Mangrove trees always get big, though, unless I'm mistaken? Also, the vines make it easier to tear them down, which large oak trees lack.