Is EMC asking us to pay rupee tax next week? (closed)

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Mar 27, 2015.

?

Would you be ok with a 8% yearly EMC tax?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2015.
Yes 13 vote(s) 11.5%
I don't know 6 vote(s) 5.3%
No 68 vote(s) 60.2%
I like ponies! 20 vote(s) 17.7%
Other (please comment below) 6 vote(s) 5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The topic is an 8% yearly tax... I presume on your balance or possibly on your income for that year... but since you brought up a sales tax... I can see how this could be implemented on the sign shops (that is, when decimal places of rupees are in place) but what about auctions? Gonna put an 8% tax on /pay?

Edit: *laughs thinking it is a possible April fools joke.

Edit 2: But... This is an economy server and taxes are part of an economy.

Edit 3: There goes inflation again. (Hint: Buy diamonds now!) :p
    cadenman2002 and 607 like this.
  2. Hmm, no need for that I think.

Of course I'm not saying "cadenman heard of it too so it must be true", but isn't it a little odd that some of the more "active" players if you will seem to have picked up on this? And apparently they all thought of it as a rumor and only shared some things in profile posts. Probably not to cause much drama, I dunno.

Unless, as some other players also noted, you don't attend to those events.

I don't mind contributing to the Empire, not at all. But the way things go right now bothers me a little. Not enough to make a big fuss about it, but... I understand that "come to the event, you need to pay 10r to get in" wouldn't work. But, assuming this is true, making us all pay an x amount of rupees every year?

EDIT:

I think one of the previous poster made a really good argument about auctions. What if people bid on an auction and suddenly they got tax deducted and can't pay anymore?
    cadenman2002 likes this.
  3. Honestly, I'd not mind it. I mean, I often have a lot of rupees, and I'm not always sure what to do with them. I can just give them away or donate them, but then I can't be sure my rupees go to a good cause. With this tax, however, I know good things will be done using my rupees, which is a good feeling.
    Of course 8% is a bit much though... I'm sure they'll post a thread about it asking community involvement if they're actually going to do this.

Hm, true... But that could be a coincidence. I moved house at April 1st. There are quite some things going on on EMC, and only 52 weeks in the year, so something big happening in one specific week doesn't have such a small chance. It's good to keep in mind it could be a hoax, though.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. Sorry for the double post, but I just realised something.
    Couldn't you cheat a bit with this? I mean, if the tax is gotten at the same date every year, you could just store all your money into physical things (promos or diamond blocks or something), wait until all the taxes have been collected, and then sell all those things, again.
    Such workarounds might pose a problem if this is going to be a thing...
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Good point. Then I guess the joke would be partly on me. Only yesterday did I jestingly comment: "Beware; ShelLuser isn't easily fooled!". But Murphy's law and EMC don't mix, do they? :)
    Luckypat and 607 like this.

6. That would be an interesting idea, I suppose it would stimulate the economy a little. But... usually you'd buy something for more rupees than you'd sell it.

Promo's otoh.. Hmm, that pot of gold in the /shop suddenly looks a lot more appealing ;)
    bluebiscuit2007 likes this.
  7. Haha, indeed xD
    I bought an incredible amount of pot's of gold, but afterwards I wasn't so sure if it was a good move, after all.
    Now I'm actually quite happy I did that!
    (I only hope pots of gold won't sink over 8% in value, of course. But most of the time promo prices only rise, anyway)
  8. No purpose to it.

If there was a reason for 8% less money to be in the economy, then all monetary faucets (daily bonus, supporter bonus, etc.) would be reduced by 8%. Why give a player money they are destined to give back without spending?

If it was to fund events, the staff could just reduce the money in the economy by scaling down faucets, then spawn in the money reduced and use it for events. If done, it would be the first official organised element of fiscal state planning of the economy in EMC. Monetary planning has existed up to now in the form of the Empire Shop and other facilities which affect the money supply, but staff have thus far not set aside a part of the money coming through the economy from the faucets for actually using in projects.
  9. Wow... Just wow.. This is the disrespect I ever recieved since light yagami killed kirito in the spin off of full metal alchemist and how I am disgraced beyond repair and disorestecedd amongs me peers. Would Buddha say something like this? How about devil temoo... Btw guys you see the new teemo skin? Anyways lol..................... If you think taxes are the world of Buddha and all good in this world then you ate very mistaken... This is just the beginners mode of turning MindCraft to communistcrfat.... This how soviets gonna take America one empire at a time... Soon we'll be empire more like craft imovie communions craft.... If u don't distrsut me just listen to this quote from my grandpa.

"It was 1995, deep in the middle of the Vietnam war... I couldn't believe the fighting... All around me.. Communism... As I tremches through the jungle... There I saw it the Indiana jones temple... In it I met Harrison ford and he said call me injun jones to disguise. He said... All this bloodshed... Needles if only communism.... It must stop... Then the temple off Doom traps shoot injun I mean Indian josnes in the leg foot and he collapse... His dying words were I would rather die a capacism than be entrenched on cummonust"

So know you now my story taxes are so evil. If u stil don't believe me read this quote from my grappa... see above

So we on a very dnagerous courseroads here my friends and enemies...republicans... Libertarians... Even those from who worship them selves on mirror image.... I don't care you hate me.. Hate communism with me... We can't PSY taxes.... What is this communism Soviet Union...

We can't win this war.. But we can win the Baylee... Death to taxes! Live empire LIIIIIIIIIVE..... One more thing... If u disagree I will repeat myself to prove my point just once more..

Wow... Just wow.. This is the disrespect I ever recieved since light yagami killed kirito in the spin off of full metal alchemist and how I am disgraced beyond repair and disorestecedd amongs me peers. Would Buddha say something like this? How about devil temoo... Btw guys you see the new teemo skin? Anyways lol..................... If you think taxes are the world of Buddha and all good in this world then you ate very mistaken... This is just the beginners mode of turning MindCraft to communistcrfat.... This how soviets gonna take America one empire at a time... Soon we'll be empire more like craft imovie communions craft.... If u don't distrsut me just listen to this quote from my grandpa.

"It was 1995, deep in the middle of the Vietnam war... I couldn't believe the fighting... All around me.. Communism... As I tremches through the jungle... There I saw it the Indiana jones temple... In it I met Harrison ford and he said call me injun jones to disguise. He said... All this bloodshed... Needles if only communism.... It must stop... Then the temple off Doom traps shoot injun I mean Indian josnes in the leg foot and he collapse... His dying words were I would rather die a capacism than be entrenched on cummonust"

So know you now my story taxes are so evil. If u stil don't believe me read this quote from my grappa... see above

So we on a very dnagerous courseroads here my friends and enemies...republicans... Libertarians... Even those from who worship them selves on mirror image.... I don't care you hate me.. Hate communism with me... We can't PSY taxes.... What is this communism Soviet Union...

We can't win this war.. But we can win the Baylee... Death to taxes! Live empire LIIIIIIIIIVE.....
  10. You don't attend prison, yet your tax will still go towards the inmates that are there? :p And same for driving, even if you do not drive, your tax will still go towards paying for new roads... (Not that anybody fixes roads now anyway)
    SecureCheese likes this.
  11. This is probably a joke... I've never seen a minecraft server that taxed it's players, and the tax would make the server less appealing.
  12. If it were real life, there would be a reason to have tax. But for some events that not everyone attends which are funded using admin money just doesn't seem logical to me.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  13. This post gave me an idea... why not make sign in bonuses and voting rupees a daily tax? You are losing a measly ~1000r a day but it is free money. That way we can have more fun events and stuff.
    cdjs1987 and 607 like this.
  14. k babes.
    +1
    Not everyone watches the BBC (me lel :p), but they still have to pay 'taxes' for it through TV licenses while under British law :rolleyes:
    nfell2009 likes this.
  15. Maybe not Minecraft servers, specifically, but there's plenty of precedent in MMOs - virtually every auction-house I know of has had some kind of "fee" attached (and Guild Wars 2 has two of them), to help drain funds from the economy.

With regard to rupees specifically? I couldn't say, since it seems lately Aikar's been trying to increase inflation, rather than curb it, but he also reduced rupee voting bonuses substantially.

Also:
    Keyword: next week. Little early to be pulling pranks, isn't it?
    Pab10S and 607 like this.
  16. Yes but nor would I like criminals to run free so I pay for them to be in prison. I want my mail or delivery to get to me so I pay for the roads to be used by them.

However it doesn't affect me if people go to events now if I'm paying specifically for people to go, then I must say I'm a bit bothered I'd like to wait for staff to either confirm or deny that this "tax" will be added.
  17. Yeah, recently I say some post on profiles about a tax fund. Very weird. Very. Very. Weird.
  18. What? :confused: Why did you say twice the same?

That's actually quite a good idea!

I wonder how long it'll take until staff gets hold of this... They probably are already watching this, waiting for a moment to reply... I just hope they won't get mad at us for spreading the rumour before they posted anything about it.
  19. Well i decided that if I'm ever bored, I'll snoop around EMC forums cuz they're always interesting...
    But this is just weird. MineCraft is nothing like real life and admins dont need our rupees to fund events; donations are given merely for fun. If admins wanted to, they could meddle with the program and make themselves billionaires. Why is this rumor going around that MineCraft is trying to imitate real life? *.*
    Welp, I'll continue to snoop around forums, but I'm glad I quit the gaming part. Playing a game that pretends to be real life takes the fun out of playing a game.

Taxes and death in a game = imitation of real life
  20. I don't think it's necessarily imitating real life... It would be that if they did it without a reason. But there is a reason: getting funds for events. Some people may say they can cheat money in, but I don't think that will work. Creating money out of thin air will most likely not do the economy much good. But still, if this is going to do the economy any good is of course also arguable...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.