[Interest Check] Would you watch me play games?

Discussion in 'Share Your Let's Plays and Other Videos!' started by fluffinator09, Feb 21, 2017.

?

Would you watch?

Yes 6 vote(s) 54.5%
No - Explain Why, so I may be able to address your concerns 5 vote(s) 45.5%
  1. Hello all! So in the past I have tried to make YouTube videos but have never really stuck to it. So I come to you today with my conundrum.

Would anyone watch me play games?

I would like to make videos again, but want to know if my effort will be rewarded, even minimally.

Games I would play:
    Fallout 3 Modded
    Fallout 4 Modded*
    Smite
    Europa Universalis IV Modded and Unmodded (If I learn to play in a timely manner)
    Skyrim Modded
    ARK: Survival Evolved Modded and Unmodded*

*Denotes high spec games, requiring me to be home for the videos to be made
    Mainly I would play Fallout 3, 4, and Skyrim for now

So right now I would be making a complete FO3 playthrough, with mods.
  2. I don't like watching others play video games. I can't even wait for my turn during a Mario Kart party.
  3. Then I assume you main Netflix? xD
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Not these games. Games, yes, but these games, no
  5. I definitely like to watch some video games but streaming on the online world can be very tricky. I usually prefer Twitch though. I would recommend starting with Twitch and YouTube to broaden your base (stream on Twitch and then upload on YT) But honestly I dont know much about this section of industry so good luck!
    fluffinator09 likes this.
  6. What issues do you have with these games, and what games would you prefer?
    Carbonyx and Equinox_Boss like this.
  7. No netflix account. -_- I'm like a cave man. I enjoy reruns of supernatural. It's like Netflix but It takes longer.
  8. I'd definitely like to see some League :D
    Daynsyy likes this.
  9. Not gonna happen, sorry but I have around 2500 hours in DotA and despise League, and League despises me.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Oh you're one of those people then :p
  11. You mean superior?

Jk.

Maybe.
  12. Lemme try to think of a word to describe it...

Except for Fallout, the games are too.....slow, if you will. Too much time put into one game. Survival games (except Minecraft) have never been my go-to as a gamer. I'm more of a racing game fan.

The main game I play is F1 2016, which is a very niche game :p

I also play Rocket League a lot, and some Destiny along the side. Reading news about the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport makes me salivate :p

That's pretty much it, is racing games, so I might (I am) be slightly biased when it comes to games and YouTube
    fluffinator09 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  13. Carbonyx sort of hit the nail on the head for me. These are slow, time-sucking games that, whilst appeal when you're personally in the void of them, as a spectator, there isn't enough going on or enough to enable interaction to make it enjoyable for any reasonable amount of time. I love watching people play video games (admittedly more so IRL), but watching these would be more of a struggle.

Perhaps if there was an element of decision making involved? Rapid competitions to dictate gameplay? (For these types of games in particular). Asking spectators to vote on how the gaming progresses would potentially increase interest, but even still, for certain games where the outcomes are limited, or the storyline is fairly restricted, this would also lose its attraction soon enough IMO. [Edit: More relevant to Twitch than YT]

I'd personally like to see more indie games being streamed. Vague way to describe it I know, but a few examples I can think of are games like Undertale (made almost completely by one guy called TobyFox), Beyond Eyes (A PS3 number where you play a blind girl searching for her adopted cat), Portal (I know I know it's huge but still, watching people suffer is hilarious), Journey (BEAUTIFUL PS3 game) as well. Unusual games that don't get enough exposure IMHO. Otherwise, going wayyy retro. I'm talking SNES, Sega... people will ALWAYS wanna sail on that nostalgia boat.

Likewise, I think a lot of it comes down to how you'd intend to broadcast it. Witty interaction and reactive gameplay are gonna be more fun to watch on a game like Skyrim than no narrator involvement on smaller games. Toe-MAY-toe / toe-MAH-toe, as they say.

My opinion means nothing but there's my ten cents anyway :). YOU DO YOU, FRIEND!

[2nd Edit: Added game links]
    Carbonyx likes this.
  14. I would watch games like ark and fallout but no modded because I want to see what the original games are like so I know if they are good
  15. I usually only watch pro players and a couple Twitch players. Other than those select few, I'm not a fan of watching recreational games.
  16. I like playing the game myself rather than watching someone play it ;)
    Smite is a great game though! :D
  17. No those games don't interest me
  18. I have taken that into consideration, and would not be playing ARK legitimately. Would mainly be building a base that can withstand all sorts of attacks, and not the boring resource gathering of it.

As for Fallout 3 and 4, mods are essential for me as I can't love them enough.

I will have to look in my library to add some more, so give me a second while I do just that...

Endless Legend, ARMA III, and Mordheim: City of the Damned, Creative Space Engineers (with that added input from viewers), Wargame: Red Dragon*, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands**, Sniper Ghost Warrior 3** and Subnautica to name a few.
    Your names suggests you know that they are already :p

What would then?
  19. I like watching but it depends on the person. If you can't keep talking for an hour and be entertaining then people won't enjoy watching you. I think a lot of people make you-tube channels thinking that all they have to do is play games without realizing that they have the wrong kind of personality.
    fluffinator09 likes this.