If I ever get accused of stealing or griefing, do I have a chance to explain myself?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Tiburok, Jan 28, 2018.

1. I haven't knowingly stolen or griefed anything, but I just spent about 2000 rupees egging and releasing the same parrot over and over. I found the little bird, thought it was wild, and egged it. Then I realized it was quite near someone's house. So, (not wanting to be a thief) I released it and tamed it again for them so I could sit it down (preventing it from flying away). Uh oh...wrong color. Egged again and again and again...until the color was right. I left it sitting down but now I'm wondering if something happens to it, I'll be the last person to egg a parrot near there so I might be banned even though I did my best to set things right.

In another scenario, I have a base that I've gradually built and played in for the past 4 years. There's a small (and seemingly abandoned) squid farm nearby and as I've expanded my base, my build has gotten about 20 blocks away from it but no further, out of respect. I recently discovered someone's hollowed-out mine near bedrock underneath part of my base. There is a locked chest so I know whose it is, but the owners haven't been on in years. I've been careful to leave it alone, but every now and then I have a fear that they're going to come back, think my base has gotten too big overhead and get me banned even though I left their mine alone.
    We3_MPO, TomvanWijnen, 607 and 2 others like this.
  2. I really think that people here are mature and understanding enough to understand if you’ve made a mistake. As well, if you do get banned, you can always appeal and explain what happened there and I’m sure you can figure something out between the appeals teams the administration, and the other player. That’s just what I think, though. It’s best if you get a response from a moderator.
    We3_MPO, Tiburok, 607 and 2 others like this.
  3. Well, in the situations you explained, you wouldn't be banned. In the first scenario, you say the parrot was 'near' the player's house. Without knowing more details, I would have to say that if the parrot was owned by the owner of the house, they did not do their due diligence to protect said parrot. Namely, it should have been inside the house or inside a clearly marked area that showed the player owned anything inside that area.

The second situation is, again, nothing I would act upon as staff. Unless the area is claimed by the other player as an established outpost (which I doubt if you've been building there for 4 years), then you are fine. If an area is not established, then you can basically build in somebody's back yard anywhere in the frontier or waste, as long as you are not affecting their builds.

Staff are players too, so we know whether something is purposeful griefing or just playing the game. We have rules and guidelines in place, but when we deal with a situation, we treat each one individually and look at all the details before ever making a decision.

If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me or any other staff member at any time. We are all always willing to help!
  4. Thank you so much. I appreciate your feedback!
    JDHallows and 607 like this.
  5. Another thing to add in, if you are ever banned, you have two options. There is the appeal, where you can acknowledge you did something wrong and come back with a clean slate, or there is the dispute. If there is a situation in which you were banned, and you don't believe the staff team was acting with the complete story, or with a flaw in their reasoning, you are completely able to let us know so.

Despite what we might wish for, we staff are not perfectly functioning and all-knowing. Some of us (me) definitely wish we were, but we are mere humans, prone to errors, mistakes, and slip-ups. If you have something that you believe would shed new light on a punishment handed out by a member of the staff team and are ready to present it in a calm, reasonable manner, we do not only allow, but implore you to do so. We try our best, but even the best can and do mess up, so we count on the community to help us correct the situation when that happens.
    We3_MPO, Tiburok, 607 and 2 others like this.
  6. I agree with all of the above. You shouldn't get banned for it, and if you somehow still do, you should PM staff, as well as whoever owns the residence or outpost, on the forums about it to explain yourself.