I need help.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stnywitness, May 6, 2017.

1. You know how a person has a couple images at the bottom of every post? Take ShelLuser (at very high random. Most people have this) for example, the couple images he has of his shop at the bottom with print and stuff. There are lots of different kinds of ways the pic could be. I just wanna know how to do that. Plz, plz somebody tell me how. Thanks so much, Stnywitness
  2. Thank you SO much!
  3. There are multiple ways to do this and most of them have been mentioned above.

Now, to actually create and/or edit these signatures I can heavily recommend 2 programs...

First stop: IrfanView. Although basically an image viewer you can do tons more with it. You can easily resize images, apply effects on them (rotating, color, sharpen, blur, etc.) and also do small edits (add a box, an arrow, letters, etc.). It's really useful in combination with Imgur, which is a good place to store your pictures so that other websites (like EMC) can use them. Obviously: this is free software.

Second: The Gimp. This is a full blown image editor which can easily be considered a free of charge Photoshop. This is the thing to get if you want to add more to your signature. For example for adding text and something else on it while also making sure that the dimensions are correct. Now, be careful: the Gimp can be difficult to get started with, some things aren't very easy and in some cases it can be plain out frustrating.

Still... It's seriously powerful stuff, and as said above already: fully free of charge too!

Third: Imgur. You're going to need a place to make your image available to the forum, and that's definitely the best place to go to in my opinion. I'd recommend registering on their website, if you do then you don't risk your images getting deleted over time and you also keep full control over them (if you want an image gone you can easily delete it, if you want an image to remain "hidden" a bit then that can be done too, stuff like that).

The signature which I'm using (the one on the left, the right was made by someone else) was also made using those tools (and it's not even that great, I should re-do it sometime ;)).

What I basically did was make a screenshot, cut out the area I wanted to use (using IrfanView) and once I was satisfied I loaded the whole thing into the Gimp and started editing. The main thing to look out for is the height: if you make it too high then the site will cut off some parts of your image. The other is hosting, you'll need to have your image available somewhere so that the EMC website can use it. As said I'd recommend Imgur for that.

I am plotting on making something new someday, but that has a very low priority right now :)

(edit)

Some players have signatures where you can click on specific parts to go to specific URL's. Those are simply multiple images which were "glued" together. Using the same techniques as shown by the others above. Simply different images and in the "signature editor" you simply assign each image with a different URL (click the image, click the chain icon in the toolbar and enter your URL).