I like Trains

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Windylava, Jun 29, 2016.

1. At the local Train Museum in Strausburg PA. Which is only about and hour and half drive from where I live, There museum actually has Old rivets and Blackjack. I find it pretty cool that the original GG1 was amazingly saved from the scrap yards. And blackjack is supposedly the only GG1 left that would have any chance of running again.
  2. In my opinion one of the most beautiful steam engines I've ever found. The Sunbeam.

Another PRR classic, heavy puller class steam engine the T1

And another kinda interesting train is one created by NYC. To compete with the PRR's ever growing modern fleet, New york Central Strapped rockets to a train to see if they sould create rocket powered trains. Interesting right?
  3. The Flying Scotsman

One icon in railway engineering with another riding over it.
  4. Ok this thread needs revival,

Here is Rio Grande (Now named Royal Gorge) #403 with a Back unit.

This engine was the turning point from steam to diesel power. Here is a clear example why, if you needed more power you added more engines right? Well you added the engines but clearly there was room for error if the train needed more power, when to apply brakes, and when to start up together. The F series were the clear answer and sold very well, having one engineer being able to control the whole train with ease. They also needed minimal maintenance from the hungry and thirsty steam engines.

A side note. The "BullDog" nose on this locomotive are iconic to what we picture a diesel engine in the States.

This is a F7 A and F7 B

This is a interesting structure as well. This bridge named Hanging Bridge. You can see here that it is "Hanging" hence the name from heady duty cables holding the bridge above the river. These cables are connected to I beams that are anchored into the walls of the gorge holding it in place. This section of line was too tight and would of costed a lot to blast so they created this. This part of the line is now owned by a Tourist Company who do excursions through the Gorge.
    HxCami10, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  5. I once saw a 30 minute long segment on trains, and it was the worst half hour of my life. To this day, when my family wants to torment me, they refer to "The Train Movie".
  6. Favourite locomotive would be the flying Scotsman
  7. Did you see the image I posted above, it's The Flying Scotsman crossing the Forth Bridge.
    mba2012 and 607 like this.
  8. I like, minecarts
  9. I actually think you like buses... ;)
    bitemenow15 and NathanRP like this.
  10. yes i did see it indeed
  11. nooooo

12. Saw (and heard) this one where I lived in El Paso. <3
    607 and FoxyRavenger like this.
  13. I like the SD-40 motors a lot, cool fact that model introduced the 6 axle and made it standard.
  14. And everybody in the whole cel block, was swinging on the jail house rock.
    (1000 rupees for the one who know what song that is, who the one is who wrote it, and in what film it's played)
  15. You do know that one of Elvis's hits will feature in many movies including the film Jailhouse Rock for which it was written for by Leiber and Stoller.
    bitemenow15 and 607 like this.
  16. Yeah lol i figured it was some kind of trick question