I did an experiment...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrSocks75, Apr 26, 2017.

1. I dropped really good god tools and weapons at all the town spawns on the smp's with my name on them. I waited to see if any of them were returned to me. I was planning to give anyone 100k for a reward but not one item was returned. If you have one of these items please feel free to keep them but the reward offer is too late now. ;)

The experiment? See if anyone would return the items without prompting to do so.
    The result? Failure. After over a week not one item was returned.

Who knows. Next time you find a named item you may find it more profitable to return it then to keep it. :)

~Socks
  2. Hmm... Considering that you can make whatever you want I don't think it's that weird that no one bothered to return those to you. (Edit: this turned out to be a false assumption, please see Socks' comment here).

In fact, I would sooner expect players to ask other players if they left something there by accident, just saying ;)
  3. Humanity is doomed!

I ran into something like this one time in the wild. Found a pile of stuff on the ground. Looked like someone died. Made a chest with a locked sign on it so they could message me. Never did though lol Couldn't begin to think where it was.
  4. Interesting. :p
    Also, aren't 'god tools' really good per definition?
    WardleDeBoss and Equinox_Boss like this.
  5. Figure out who got them so we can shun them.
  6. This was an interesting experiment, I wonder if anyone actually got them.
    The most likely situation was a new player got the tools and didn't know what to do with them
    AyanamiKun and WardleDeBoss like this.
  7. Or they despawned.. because that happens too.
    Roslyn and WardleDeBoss like this.
  8. That also could happen, but then someone would have to be loading the chunk and then missed them.
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  9. I wouldn't have, but that's because I keep everything you've touched in a shrine in my closet.
  10. That is something I considered. Although possible I would hope that all the items on all the servers wouldn't have ended up despawning.

No way. This was just a little fun experiment for me. It is not to then go find anyone that participated (unknowingly I might add) and shun or shame them. If this were to happen I would get quite upset about it.

I cannot make whatever I want. I am not Sr Staff and thus had to craft and enchant those items by hand. Just saying.
  11. Missed opportunity. I wasn't on this morning but dang.
    Nickblockmaster and WardleDeBoss like this.
  12. Your next experiment should be to go on as a non-staff member and see how many people will help you with a question or just talk to you in general.
  13. Did you go back and look for them? they may still be their if none was return.
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  14. I did this once with an alt. There are still good people here.
  15. We have an amazing community here. So I already know how that would turn out. :)
  16. I did it once as me on each smp and you and eviltoade are the only ones that replied.
    Eviltoade, WardleDeBoss and ThaKloned like this.
  17. I actually do this regularly on a secret alt. People do indeed get more chatty for staff. Not like they were completely unresponsive, but people knowing who you are gets you more of a bite. Or maybe I'm just an unappealing person and being staff is my one redeeming quality.

You know what? I retract my statement, it's probably that second one.
    haastregt, Carbonyx, Qkazooo and 5 others like this.
  18. aah, then I stand corrected, I didn't know that. Thanks for your comment. I assumed as much because I have seen a developer once do all sorts of crazy stuff which a regular player wouldn't be able to do. But I never stopped to think about that it could have been temporary.

In that case I have to agree that it makes the experiment more interesting :)
    607 and WardleDeBoss like this.
  19. Aw man, you mean nobody returned your socks? ;) Interesting experiment though. Did you also drop armor on the utopia town spawn?

The effect you experience here is no different than in real life. Staff are treated as "celebrities" on EMC, and same as in real life, if a stranger walks into a bank, it is rare the person that would wave at them, or even give them a smile. However, if a celebrity walks in, then people instantly gravitate towards them. This is pretty much the same effect that occurs with EMC staff when they log onto EMC.

However, imo, our EMC community is still friendlier than people in real life, because I can often hop into a server and there is already a conversation going on between the players, and I always see our veteran players helping out new players.
    Nickblockmaster, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  20. Were the items literally just named MrSocks75? What tools were they?