Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SUPERI0N, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Last Revision: Sept 9 2017

I currently don't know much about it, but I wanted to at the very least raise awareness. If anything I say is incorrect, I will try to edit this post as soon as I possibly can to reflect the truth.

So hurricane Irma is currently pounding on parts of Cuba(as of Sept 9). It is expected to turn north towards Florida by tomorrow. It will either rip through Florida, head up the gulf, or head up the East Coast(not as likely). Irma has also already caused a lot of devastation along the way.

A few sources:
    https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-bahamas-florida-georgia-carolinas-forecast
    https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...rrent-weather-conditions-wind-radar-satellite
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone

Following link was last updated Sept 7th.
    https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...rricane-warning-puerto-rico-leeward-islands-0

Following link was last updated Sept 5th.
    https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-florida-southeast-us-forecast

Also as synth_apparition pointed out below on Sept 5th, This hurricane could be the strongest category 5 ever.
    Thanks for pointing that out synth_apparition.

It has weakened to a category 3 since then, but it also could regain strength to a category 4 before it reaches Florida.

Now like I said, I don't know much about what's going on atm. This might not even happen for all I know, but it does seem likely that it will. I just wanted to help in some way and this is the best way I could think of.

I suppose the one message I want to give out of this is as follows: Please be safe everyone, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

~SUPERI0N
  2. Could also quite possibly end up being the strongest category 5 ever (there is no category 6). Winds are currently reaching 185mph, and its gusts are reaching 225mph. Most computer projections show it ripping straight through Florida.

You can track it here: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma

Doesn't really add much to OP but I thought it'd be nice to point out.
    We3_MPO, 607, AncientTower and 3 others like this.
  3. Grr, very nooby mistake on my part... xD
    Thanks for pointing that out. I added it to the OP, Hope you don't mind. :)
  4. You should probably add more than just one projection to the post, just so people get a good idea of the paths it could take.

From the models I've seen there are roughly 3 courses it will take. Either it will head up the East cost, head in to Florida, or head in to the gulf (hopefully it won't). Many reports I've read say that they are still undecided on what it will do after it hits the islands, as it is still early, however most expect it to either go in to Florida or up the East Coast. I'm no weather man, but this is a pretty serious hurricane.

Edit:

Well now we know what path it will take.
    Xx_Hunter2002_xX and SUPERI0N like this.
  5. I'm in irma's path, but I'm not too worried, I was in matthew. I'll be fine, I should only suffer through tropical force winds as I did in matthew. As for everyone who's in for worse, I hope you make it out okay, may the darkness be with you!
  6. I have friends and family in Florida, I am very afraid and praying for them. This is not a joke, very surreal. We are still not over Houston.
  7. I have familie living in Saint Martin. They left there house on top of a mountain to take shelter in an concrete building in the town.
    At the moment all power is down on the island. Still haven't heard from them, but I think that they are fine! Just heard that there is an second tropical storm/huricane forming. But I'm not sure.
    Merek_Shadower and SUPERI0N like this.
  8. Just got a call from my familie, they are ok. But they say the entire island is wrecked.
    Merek_Shadower and SUPERI0N like this.
  9. Yep. According to officials, the 'most solid' buildings on the island have been destroyed, along with '95%' of the French part of the island. And according to the Antigua and Barbuda PM, 90% of Barbuda is destroyed and 50% of the island's population are now homeless. The other Caribbean islands have power and communication outages, and many houses and facilities are totally destroyed; 17% of Puerto Rico is without water. Ten are dead, with that toll expected to rise.

Some responses: The Bahamas have activated an evacuation to Nassau in the largest evacuation of their history; the British government has made a £12 million fund available, sent four humanitarian experts and deployed a ship in the area (contains royal marines, army engineers) and is conducting a COBRA meeting (should add these are for British Overseas Territories, not for everyone in the Caribbean); France has sent an emergency team; the UK, France, and the Netherlands are co-ordinating a joint response together; Florida will be getting hurricane watches and the coastal area is undergoing evacuation.
    SUPERI0N, jossytheninja and Tah2 like this.
  10. This has been bumped up to £32 million. First of the aid arrived this morning.

The death toll has now reached 23 confirmed dead, a significant amount higher than the 10 confirmed yesterday.

Irma is currently barrelling straight toward the Bahamas, where it will then move on to Florida. Right now, it looks like this:

Predicted path (red is where it will be Category 4, orange is Category 1, blue is a mere tropical storm):
    SUPERI0N likes this.
  11. A small Bump...
  12. I can't even hear the other person on a phone call outside anymore and I'm in central Florida. This is going to be one heck of a storm...
  13. I hope Florida isn't going to be hit as bad as Saint Martin. My uncle who lives there says it looks like the island is hit by an atomic bomb...
  14. Now, time to ask BK to change the title to 'Hurricane Jose'! And then 'Hurricane Katia'! Yay!
  15. Rip those peoples