How do I make a good-looking giant fence?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by We3_MPO, Nov 30, 2022.

1. I plan to build a giant picket-style fence along all of the MPO's external land borders. (In the areas that overlap with FerretArez's and zBugle's claims, I'll count the overlapping area as their land instead of ours; we don't need an 8-block transition area nor a bunch of open ocean anyways.) A simple wall would be needlessly expensive and impede movement. However, a normal fence wouldn't stand out nearly enough and would also impede movement. My goal is simply to mark our territory clearly without impeding movement. Any advice?

I'm thinking of making my giant picket fence out of relatively common materials. The first thing that came to my mind is terracotta, but probably one of the naturally-occurring colors and/or some color that requires red dye to make. However, I'd want it to not contrast too much with whatever biome it's in (even though it needs to stand out some), and I'm also open to smooth stone, smooth sandstone or smooth basalt if I can't easily mend pickaxes from terracotta mining nor get clay from drying mud on dripstone. Biome-by-biome advice for materials would also be much appreciated; the MPO has every biome from before 1.13 somewhere, with our borders known to go through virtually all of them besides badlands and mushroom fields.

Also, what should I do when the fence needs to go through rolling terrain? What about steep hills? Worst of all, mountainous terrain? I'm worried that it may look silly if I try to make it a fixed distance above the ground, or make the fence's altitude at the top too consistent. I'm not too worried about the ocean, though; for that, I'll probably build buoys anchored to the seabed via chains, with sea lanterns right on the seafloor.

Thank you in advance!
    BreezyMan likes this.
  2. Something that some countries do is creating stones with engravings lining up the border, and you can see the following stone in the horizon

When you lineup your sight with the line, you are able to see the following one

This is what I did with one of my outpost - using mostly cobble stone towers, with light sources and some decoration simple, but effective making sure you can see the next "totem" in eitherside

if you really want to do a complete wall you can try Game of thrones Style - being a fortress

Or try replicating the Great Wall of China

My best recommendation would be to make it modular - whenever you need to increase or decrease height use a tower, maybe standard gates?

You could also look into making automatic basalt, cobble and stone generators/flying machines, concepts described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5ZTLjZlC8 if you also would like to practice redstone instead of placing blocks (although I'm not sure if flying machines work in EMC)
    NuclearBobomb, BreezyMan and We3_MPO like this.
  3. I plan a picket fence rather than a castle wall, though. I don't want to impede mobility; I plan only to mark our territory clearly. Still, I was also thinking to possibly shift the top of the fence up and down depending on the terrain. Thanks for your ideas!
  4. If you only wish to mark a boundary, may I suggest carpets?
    Easy to place, easy to get, easy to auto-protect.

Fence/gate combos are a wonderful look and renewable. The wood color can be changed per biome, should you wish.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  5. Great look, but there go all the forests
    FadedMartian and We3_MPO like this.
  6. That's a nice idea! Thanks! I could put carpet on top of the terracotta fence posts of the same color so that it stands out more on the live map. Even if I do smooth basalt, smooth stone or smooth sandstone, I could still add grey, light grey or yellow carpet. Wool and concrete colors in Minecraft are vibrant, unlike the dull terracotta colors.

I was also thinking to maybe do pink terracotta in jungles, orange in savannas and brown in taigas, giant tree taigas and dark forests, to match the native wood types. You gave me more ideas too, though! Perhaps I could also do green in deserts for the native cacti, yellow in plains for the native sunflowers and red or magenta in forests, birch forests and flower forests for their native flowers. I'm still not sure what color to do for windswept, swampy and snowy areas, though; maybe I could do the stone or basalt with grey or light grey carpet in windswept areas? That'd still leave snowy plains, ice spikes, snowy taiga and swamp to decide on, though. Any advice for those?