Homework Help Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cul1002, Mar 19, 2020.

?

Would you use the Homework Help Thread?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2020.
Most Definitely Yes! 7 vote(s) 63.6%
What's Homework? 4 vote(s) 36.4%
  1. Hey Everyone,

With all this COVID-19 stuff going on, I have found myself with way too much time on my hands. So, to keep my mind stimulated, I decided to start a Homework Help Thread for students who are taking online classes or are home-schooled (Or even those with random questions). I know it can be difficult to not have face-to-face contact with your teacher or professor during this time, so I (and our community) would love to help out!

Feel free to post your questions below! If it is a multi-part question, go ahead and post a screenshot.

If it is a simple question, remember to respond by clicking the "reply" button.

If it is a multi-part question, please reply with a note that you PM'd the player as a way to reduce clutter

If there are any players who would be interested in being "Verified Homework helpers", PM me with topics you feel comfortable helping in. I'll add you to the list in the post below. But, ANYONE is free to help out!

Let's see how this goes and best of luck to all of you!
  2. Those asking Questions:
    When asking a question, please use the following format:
    [Topic Name or Material Covered] (Bolded or Underlined)
    Question(s)
    Optional: What About the Question are you Struggling with?

Example:
    [Math: single-variable algebra question]

Question: Find x: 2x + 4 = 8

I just started learning Algebra 1 and I am having a hard time understanding how to solve for x. Still very new to me

Those Responding to Questions:
    When responding to questions:
    • Try to show step-by-step (If Possible) to show how you got to your solution
    • For any math, Physics, or Science-related questions, it is not required to reply with the correct answer. Maybe give hints, such as equations that could be used or any recommended steps that would be required to determine the solution.
    • Additionally, feel free to work out the problems by hand on paper and take a picture and post your work.
    • If you do not feel comfortable answering a question, let another player who understands the material to answer the question.
    Example responses from above question:

Example response #1:
    1. Given: 2x + 4 = 8
    2. subtract 4 from both sides to get the x variable by itself 2x + 4 - 4 = 8 - 4. This will give you 2x = 4 (one side of the equals sign should have your variable, while the other has the constant)
    3. divide by 2 from both sides in order to remove any values attached to x. this will leave you with (2/2)x = (4/2)
    4. After simplifying each side, you are left with x = 2
    Example Response #2
    1. Given: 2x + 4 = 8
    2. Start by having the x variable by itself, so add 0r subtract any constants next to x.
    3. After, divide each side by the value attached to x (if there are any).
    4. Your result should should give you the value of x
    607 and MoreMoople like this.
  3. Verified Homework Helpers:
    Cul1002 - Math (Up to Calculus 3 + Linear Algebra), Physics, Linear Programming, Markov Chains, Statistics, ACT/SAT Prep, Spanish, Java/C++
    Jacob5089 - Calculus 1-3, linear algebra, differential equations, physics (mechanics and electricity and magnetism), statics, rocketry, aircraft, python, MATLAB, SAT/ACT prep
    Egeau - Literally all things physics!, High School Math, Chemistry, English
    Luckygreenbird - Biology, Chemistry (General, Organic), Physics (High School), Medical Imaging
    Wafflecoffee - English and Writing, Elementary and Middle School Math
    Krysyy - Biology, English, Geometry, Algebra, Calculus, Chemistry, Environmental science, basic physics
    ElfinPineapple - US Government (AP and Non-AP Levels), Undergraduate Political Science, Methodology Courses (Undergraduate and Masters Levels), English Guidance (Research, Revisions and Editing)
    MoreMoople - English and Writing, Java, Python, HTML/CSS, AP Computer Science, Math (up to Algebra 2), High School Forensics
    BQ2003/BQ2003_2 - English (Up to High School levels), World History, Human geography, and Biology
    607 - Ancient Greek, Latin
    MoreMoople likes this.
  4. I'd sure like to help out, I'm feeling pretty useless right now.
    In the US school system, I would basically have a bachelor's degree in theoretical physics, which, for the most part is just mathematics with applications, so I can probably help everyone in US highschool or Europe secondairy school with maths, physics and chemestry.
    Recently, I recieved a piece of paper that officially qualified me to be an Englisch teacher in the Netherlands for the first three years of Mavo, Havo and VWO (Cambrige CPE Englisch,) which the exeption of the actual degree in teaching itself. I might actually want to get one one day to become a teacher at universety (phisics), but that's a long way off. I guess there are also people here who are better at Englisch by virtue of it being their first langue, (It's my third) so the CPE is a useless degree here anyway, I guess.
    so, yeah, hit me with your questions :p

So:
    Math: calculus (all four levels and probably more) + linair algabra, topology and universety level statistics.
    Phyics: Classic mechanica, statics, Electromagnitism, particle phisics, special and general relativety and basic quantumphisics. (quantumphysics is hard, okay?)
    Chemestry: Basics of microbiology (DNA, RNA and such,) Basics of carbon compounds and Redox + acid-base.

There is probably some more. I don't know the US education system, nor how it is split up. I hope this covers everything people might have questions about :p
    607 and cul1002 like this.
  5. Added!
  6. I can help with a wide variety, though it's been quite some time since I was in a classroom. Biology is my professional focus. I've had some extensive experience with literary critique and analysis, English, geometry, algebra, calculus, chemistry, environmental science and dummy-level physics. I despise history.

For all helpers, please focus on the adage of teaching the person to fish instead of just giving the fish over on a plate. I know that we have a wonderful community and this can be a great program in lieu of recent events!
    BQ2003_2, 607, AnonReturns and 5 others like this.
  7. Thank you Krysyy for offering to help and your recommendations! I've added you to the list.

To emphasize what Krysyy mentioned -- those responding to questions, please remember to not just give the answer. Rather, explain the material/concepts. I have posted an example on post#3.
  8. High school

US government (AP and non-AP)
    Term paper research guidance, revision and editing (Must be in English for me to assist)

College +

Any undergraduate political science courses except for political thought/political philosophy classes
    Public policy and public administration at the undergraduate or master's degree level
    Methodology classes (both qualitative and quantitative) at the undergraduate or master's degree level
    Term paper research guidance, revision, and editing (Must be in English for me to assist)
    jacob5089, MoreMoople and cul1002 like this.
  9. Added, Thanks!
    ElfinPineapple likes this.
  10. Well done!
    I couldn't get the CPE because we didn't have a native speaking teacher at school.

It's a fun idea, but shouldn't our schools/colleges/universities make sure there are people we can ask for assistance? One probably had better ask via the appropriate channels first, as presumably teacher and/or TA's are more trained than most here.
  11. Thanks for your response! You are absolutely right - there should be individuals aside from EMC we should be able to ask. But during this time of uncertainty, getting in contact with your teacher, professor, TA, etc. can be quite difficult (at least in my case). I'm encouraging those answering questions to make sure they feel absolutely confident on the material they are answering.
    jacob5089 and 607 like this.
  12. (As BQ2003 in game or BQ2003_2 on forums) I can help out with any Highschool or below level English, including al Nation wide and most state mandated reading, along with essays and Grammar. I can also do World History, Human geography, and Biology. (Any Subject AP or Non-AP)
  13. Thanks!
  14. I really love this idea! Class of 2022-21 struggling out here. In the US College Board has made all AP tests online tests you can do at home and they will be ~45 minutes fyi and the content should contain info based on where teachers should have got to in the year.
  15. :confused:
    TomvanWijnen and jacob5089 like this.
  16. 2022-21?
    Also, doesn't that make it extremely easy to cheat? Even if there is somehow a way it locks your entire screen (there are ways that can be bypassed), it's also possible that someone can just get another device, like a phone, and Google the answers.
    Yeah, I second this. :confused:
    607 likes this.
  17. My online classes use a program called honorlock that uses a webcam to record while doing important tests. It locks your screen and if you move your head too much it locks the test until you re-position yourself lol (I know this because I had to look over to answer a phone call and it paused my test). Sure there is probably a way to even bypass that but I didn't even try- the fact that the webcam records everything made me want to not do anything cheaty.

Side note: While I likely won't be able to assist anyone on this thread, I look forward to the questions people post so I can give myself some brainteasers and see what I have remembered lol.
    607 and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  18. Regarding AP exams -- it looks like a lot of them have removed the multiple choice section and will be using anti-cheat systems to detect plagiarism or other cheating on the written portions. Woohoo... No multiple choice to help boost scores... :eek:
  19. Wow! :eek:

I have never looked at the AP exams, but they sound like exams where the multiple choice questions would rather bring down my scores. :p

Anyway, I would enjoy helping with Ancient Greek and Latin! Latin is my forte, but I can probably help with any high school Ancient Greek also.
    I also have experience with NetLogo, if you have to use that for some reason. :p
    MoreMoople likes this.
  20. Anyone here that know Fluid Dynamics? :p
    Great initiative, btw! :)
    607 likes this.