Help With Optifine/Shaders

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Ryle_S, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Lately, for the server, I have been having slight issues with lag/bad fps, and I wanted to get Optifine to pull out those bad kinks, however I haven't been able to get it to download properly. I looked at Youtube videos but nothing seemed to help. The problem comes when I try and open the file like everyone shows and it pulls it open in Microsoft Edge.
    RainbowPony likes this.
  2. Microsoft Edge...hmm...my professor used to call Internet Explorer - Internet Exploder for all of the issues it has had over the years. I personally like Firefox, and I am sure many here would recommend Google Chrome which I also feel is a major step up from the Microsoft Browser. So first step I would try is see if you get same results with another browser. This will at least let you know if it is some browser setting vs. an OS related issue, plus you would be upgrading in my mind.

Plus it may be where you are attempting to get Optifine, when I went to their main page it re-directed me to an Ad-Fly annoyance page. I recommend minecraft-six as an alternative. Here is a link :

http://optifine.net/adloadx?f=OptiFine_1.11.2_HD_U_B7.jar

Good Luck

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    RainbowPony likes this.
  3. I use Chrome, but it the file acts like it needs to be opened in something else, like Edge for instance. Also, I've tried both locations for Optifine. I am struggling to find the cause of the issue. Do I need something special to open the file?
    RainbowPony likes this.
  4. hmm.. I guess you could say you have a bit of an edgy problem here (get it?). Have you tried downloading from a different browser? Like KnightZer0ne said above, Internet Explorer (or Microsoft Edge) has had some issues in the past and most people you find would definitely recommend using a different browser such as FireFox or Google Chrome. I personally prefer using Google Chrome and haven't had a problem. I download versions of Optifine from this website here, some websites you find are less reliable and don't work. Optifine uses Java to operate as well, so maybe your issue here could be that you don't have the version of Java needed to run Optifine; and while it shouldn't need anything else to run you could try installing Forge and try running Optifine through there. Otherwise, yeah, I have no idea.. just like I have no idea what I'm talking about. Hope this helps though! Good luck! Sorry if there's any mistakes/anything worded badly, currently on my phone xP

(I can't help but to notice either that this is in the 'Share Your EMC Creations' subforum. Reported the thread so it can be moved to it's correct place :))
  5. I'm a bit confused. Is the issue that whenever you try to download Optifine, it gives you an error message? If so, what's the error?
    RainbowPony likes this.
  6. I found something that fixed it. Someone posted a thread on a different forum about it and had a link to something that reassigned java to the right place so I could install optifine properly.

Thank you guys for the help.
    ShelLuser and RainbowPony like this.
  7. I know you're trying to be helpful, but this is technically advertising. You can copy and paste in the relevant posts, though. Wouldn't want you to get banned. :)
    ShelLuser and RainbowPony like this.
  8. Alright. Changed it so it is no longer mentioning anything else. Thank you for the warning
  9. Moved to correct forum
  10. I know the issue has been resolved, but just to add a possible solution to it. There's some other ways to sort this out.

What seems to have happened above is so called "association". Windows always tries to 'link' a program with a certain datafile so that if you click the datafile then the main program opens, loads the file, and you're done. For example: by default you'll see 'notepad' opening up whenever you click on a file which has the .txt extension.

Restoring this association helps. But you can also try to right click on the file, and locate the menu option "Open with...". This will allow you to select the right program in case a file type has multiple programs assigned to it. You should also see Java in the shown list.

Finally, the hard way, is to open the command line and start Java yourself. You'll need to know in which folder the jar file got saved, after which you can go to that folder on the commandline and manually start the Java. For example, my stuff is always saved in the 'Downloads' folder. So I'd be using this:

To open the commandline you can use 'Win-R' (Press the Windows key and then press r) and then enter cmd in the entry field. To exit either use the 'exit' command or just click on the corner. Also, 'tab completion' is a thing. So when I enter that cd (change directory) command all I did was enter 'down' followed by the TAB key after which Windows filled out the rest for me. Same applied to Optifine.

Hope that this can still help some others ;)