{Help} Various Farm Designs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kippy159, May 7, 2017.

1. Hey everyone,

I am planning on making some different farms in the wild soon and would like to know the most efficient designs based on what the community believes works best.

Please leave youtube links to tutorials or provide world downloads for the following farms:
    • Iron
    • Gold
    • Wither Skeleton
    • Mob Grinder (not from mob spawners in dungeons)
    Help with this is highly appreciated. If anyone has these farms built on empire and feels comfortable showing me, I would love to look at currently functioning designs (just PM me). Also, any tips to make certain designs/farms work better would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

~Kippy159
  2. Just out of curiosity what server?
  3. smp6
  4. Please note: I'm not an expert on this. In fact, I hardly use farms myself, other than the occasional grind for XP to repair a mending item (and I pretty much use 1, which normally gets mended anyway from mining coal).

Most of those farms are easy to find. But I figured I'd share the basic design ("how it works") behind them, maybe this can also help you out...

Iron

Golems automatically spawn in a 'village' when it's big enough. Basically (from the wikipage): they spawn in 16 x 6 x 16 areas (16 wide and long and 6 high) around the center of the 21 doors which make up a village but only when there are at least 10 villagers.

Now, a village "house" is basically nothing more but a door which has some empty space on both sides. In the early days, before villagers needed to become 'willing' to breed you could easily settle for a build which had a lot of doors and then villagers would breed on their own.

Most common design is to build an area where you keep the villagers around the edges, the doors between them and the middle and in the middle you make a chute for the golems to drop down, usually in a small section of lava so that they burn to their death and drop a piece of iron.

Gold

This all evolves around Nether portals, and a lot of them. When you have a nether portal there's always a chance that a zombie pigman will spawn. Just set up the area so that they're getting carried off somehow in an area where you can kill them ("kill chamber"). The advantage of killing them yourself is because you can now influence the drops. A looting sword will get you more than a simple loaf of bread for example.

Mob grinder

Basically, when in a dark area mobs can spawn. But we all knew that, right?

My favorite design is building a rather large area for mobs to spawn in a few meters above the ground (20 - 25). This also creates room for the chute where they can fall down, get damage which makes it easier to kill. My favorite design is building a dark area with the floor fully covered in packed ice. Setup some dispensers which will literally flush your mobs down into the center where they drop down into a kill chamber.

The best way I know of is to simply build a multi floor grinder where all floors are build in a triangle shape, with the point pointing to the middle. Set up the dispensers around the edges and you're good to go.

I don't have any design examples ready, because seriously: a quick search on Youtube for, say, "Minecraft gold farm" should already give you plenty of hits. Same with the other ones. So I figured I'd simply share the concept behind some.
    Kippy159 likes this.
  5. I can send you a Design for a Iron farm i use. As for the Mob Grinder, I know how to build one, and the Gold farm, mine might be a bit large. Anyway, PM me, I want to ask you a few things as well.

~Finch
    Kippy159 likes this.
  6. Thanks for responding! Finch, I have sent a PM.