[Help] Sach purchase a new Camera

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sachrock, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello EMC!
    I am need of your assistance, I am looking to buy a new camera which I will be using for my last year of 6th form and for University, I would also like to take it on vacation with me to take some awesome videos and pictures. I currently have the budget of £700 or $908.32 maximum for the camera. I would like the camera mainly for its video and its decent pictures.

I have been looking at the Panasonic cameras and I have found a camera which I have liked the look of.
    Panasonic Lumix G80 or G85 (In some countries) the shop where I am buying it from is here.

I am also going to be purchasing a 20mm f 1.7 prime lens for filming so I will have the kit lens and the prime lens.

Next year I am going to be making a Music Video and an Advert.

I would like your thoughts on the current camera I am looking to buy and your thoughts on a better camera (if there is one) for the same amount of money which will last me a few years.

Many Thanks

-Sach

Here is a video filmed with the camera and it looks amazing

AncientTower and 607 like this.
  2. I'm not very knowledgeable in this field, but I do hope we'll get to see some of the things which you'll create using whatever camera you're going to get! :)
    Nickblockmaster and Sachrock like this.
  3. If the music video goes well I may upload it somewhere :p
    607 likes this.
  4. Here is a really good video talking about all types of cameras and camera gear. I highly suggest you watch it to get a feel for other types of cameras at different price ranges.
    jacob5089, 607 and Sachrock like this.
  5. Interesting thanks for sharing :)
    ArkWarrior1 and 607 like this.
  6. Have you made a decision yet or come closer to one?
    jacob5089 likes this.
  7. I still really like the G80 and I will probably go with that, it has the things I need and it is kinda future proof
  8. So I know the big names are Canon and Nikon but the Panasonic Lumix line are actually VERY top quality. I have an Advanced P+S Lumix camera, it's a few years old now and it takes phenomenal photos. You can't really go wrong with the G80, that's a good choice.
    607 and Sachrock like this.
  9. Thanks for sharing your opinion :)
  10. Bump! I heard the A6300 is a decent camera but there is really bad rolling shutter which is a deal breaker to some people
    ArkWarrior1 likes this.
  11. Sony cameras are hit-or-miss for a lot of people. They aren't bad cameras, but you just have to look at what your needs are and if the functions of those cameras fit those needs. The video I posted talks a lot about why he did not choose Sony cameras and went with Canon instead.
    607 and jacob5089 like this.
  12. Another thing to take into account is lenses. Buying a DSLR (if you plan on keeping with photography) is less of a long-term investment than buying lenses. Both are big choices, but I've heard the comparison that buying a camera body is like dating while buying a lens is like marrying.
    Sachrock likes this.
  13. I completely agree with this. Lens technology is less likely to evolve to something where you need to upgrade every couple of years than camera bodies. Choose the right lens and you can stick with it for years and years, assuming you have cameras with the same mount.
    607 and Sachrock like this.
  14. I also agree once I make this purchase I will have 2 G mount lenses so I hope they should last me a long time
  15. I am going to get the G80 in the next few weeks. Thanks all for everyone's input :)
    ArkWarrior1 likes this.
  16. Closing thread by request of original poster.
    Sachrock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.