[HELP] Please Convince me Otherwise

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Carbonyx, Apr 13, 2017.

1. So, me, a teenager, recently got a job. I don't pay rent or buy my own food, so I'm going to be stacked. I've been wanting a new computer for a long time, and I built a $1200 setup on pcpartpicker. However, after giving it thought, I realized I really don't like PC gaming; I mainly use my PS4. One of my good friends disagrees with this.

Now, here's where the fun comes in. My PC master race friend regards me as a piece of human filth after I made the following decision.

Before you read below, I do not like laptops, and I never have. I want a portable PC, and laptops are never just the right one. I always have to choose 2 out of the following 3-
    • Looks
    • Specs
    • Bulk
    Now, after reading that thing above...

I am going to buy a Surface Pro 4 as my new computer. I will also buy a mouse, a sleeve for it, and the keyboard case. I'm going to get the i5 version, with a 256Gb SSD and 8 GB of ram. Please convince me otherwise why this is a bad idea.

Before you reply, I AM NOT BUYING A MACBOOK. Ok try to convince me kthxbai
  2. What do you want to use it for? What kind of games do you/will you want to play?
  3. I'd just say do what you want and don't let society make you spend a lot of money on something you won't be happy with. If you truly do want the computer, then by all means, go for it, but otherwise, there's no pressure.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. Why do you think having the extra portability of a laptop will benefit you?

What kibd of computers do you currently use?
  5. It's going to be my main computer, used for browsing, maybe some light photo editing, learning C++ and light gaming (csgo, Gmod, Minecraft)

I definitely want this.
    I use a laptop. I want the portability of a tablet, since I'm getting into programming and advanced photography and I need both on the go, and laptops are too bulky.
  6. He won't be the one cleaning up your PC from the mess some games make I take it? ;)

Don't get me wrong: PC games have their advantages (think about modding for example), but what if you don't care about all that? You say PS4 I can raise you with my PS3. I never bothered with the PS4 because I dislike the subscription model. I also considered PC gaming but stopped to bother because I don't really like most modern games :D

Your friend is free to disagree, but if he doesn't respect your ideas... sorry to become close and personal but then I'd start wondering what kind of a friend he is.

If we're talking about the same guy then we're not talking friends: we're talking fanatics. Best to keep clear from those kind of nutjobs anyway. And yes: I'm writing this while keeping the option in mind that your friend might read this.

My girlfriend uses a Mac notebook (don't ask me specifics) and personally I think of Mac as overpriced gizmo's with a somewhat dubious company behind it. Yet that Macbook (?) works for my gf so who am I to tell her what to do? Same with games ("oh, that game is shite"), operating systems ("Windows sucks!", but.. I like it?), programming languages ("Java is for n00bs", good thing you never met Notch!), and so on.

It's only fanatics who are incapable to think beyond their line of thinking and refuse to respect anyone who does. Thread carefully... To them you're not merely disagreeing: no, by disagreeing you're disrespecting them or worse. That is how some fanatics honestly think. Careful there.

Good for you!

Personally I wouldn't considering my disdain for Windows 8 and 10, as well as the reports I heard of the wear and tear which destroyed the add-on keyboard latches pretty quick, but meh. I can also recognize that the Surface in itself makes for a nice laptop, the integrated combination of keyboard + tablet is pretty slick and yah: if you like the concept and if this will work for you? Go for it!

(edit)

Update: Tip: but do yourself a favor. Go read the Surface critics too before you buy one. Find the forums, wade through the hatemail and read it. Because only after you read up about all the flaws and possible caveats will you really be able to make a balanced thought-out choice what to get.

Don't only read reviews which are mild or positive, also read the critics and complaints section to get all sides of the medal.
    jkrmnj and Carbonyx like this.
  7. While you got the firepower to run all sorts of photo editing software, something I'm concerned about is the hard drive size. 256 GBs looks really lightweight (in a bad way) for a tablet that doesn't even factor in the installation size of Windows 10 or Microsoft office as taking up some of its space.

I would be looking into trading out some of your RAM in exchange for at least a 500 GB hard drive. If you're wanting to manipulate or store pictures that are of decent quality it won't take long before you've got a full hard drive on your hands.
    Carbonyx likes this.
  8. Any pictures I would edit would be on a separate SD card at all times. I shoot in RAW format, so space is definitely an issue with those, but I also use a 128 gb SD card to store my pictures that I'm currently working with.
    ElfinPineapple likes this.
  9. Nah, he's a really close friend. This is the nicest thing we call each other :p

*shudder* Mac?

Will do.
  10. I think you should take all the money you make from your job and spend it on snickers bars.
  11. Consider it a done deal.
  12. Lol literally after reading these parts only i was slightly confused haha i had to read the whole thing to get it lol. I thought you wanted peoples opinion on the bullets LOL as in your physical looks and glasses and gaining some muscle .-.
  13. gg
  14. I'm gonna go ahead and bump this