[Help needed] New launcher crashing issues

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Rhyblet, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Ever since the new launcher has come out, there have been quite a few issues I've had with it, one of the largest involving crashing. Whenever I open up the launcher, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that it crashes before getting to the game's title screen. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but after it crashes, I can't reopen Minecraft until I do a hard shutdown. This isn't game breaking and doesn't make anything unbreakable, but it is extremely annoying. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix?
  2. Yups, I can most definitely relate to this. I've read too many of these stories already (here and in several other fora) that it's no longer a coincidence to me. I still haven't managed to pinpoint the cause of all the crashes (keep in mind: I'm also not looking that hard) but one issue for concern is the use of multiple accounts. That is most definitely bugged; I only managed to start 2 sessions (one for me, one for my ALT GripCEO) once. But ever since that moment the launcher always crashes whenever I try to start the second session. And believe me: I tried many variations already (keep the launcher running, closing the launcher, using a different game directory, start with GripCEO then me, etc, etc.).

First: What profile are you trying to start? I assume you're starting your own profile? Pay attention to the Java version being used. Sometimes it helps to improve stability by using the (older) Java version which got shipped with the launcher. You'd have to find the path where you installed the launcher, it should have a "runtime" sub directory containing this Java version.

To make matters worse I've also come across several situations where the opposite helped: people were using the supplied runtime and after they upgraded their Java to the latest version and started using that the problems sometimes also disappeared.

So, depending on what Java version you're using: start by upgrading your Java to the latest version, see if that helps.

For the record: I don't think too highly of the new launcher stability-wise but it should be easily usable for single accounts and single sessions.

When worse come to worst you have some alternatives...

If you made backups then you can chose to use the old launcher. All you need is to get hold of the "launcher.jar" file, and fire it up using Java. You'll need to re-authenticate and re-add all your profiles but after that you're pretty much settled.

Another option is to use a 3rd party launcher. One good example is MultiMC, and our own nltimv wrote a tutorial on how to install and use it, you can find that here:

https://empireminecraft.com/threads/guide-hating-the-new-minecraft-launcher-read-this.70540/

Hope this can give you some ideas.
    Doofankfofkort likes this.
  3. I had an issue too then I started using MultiMC. Works great. I think what part of your problem is is that the launcher is still running. If I had a problem I would go to my processes and have to close the launcher that was still running and open it again. It will crash if you are trying to run multiple instances of the launcher.
    Doofankfofkort likes this.
  4. I've had this issue before and I looked through each of my launcher profiles (mainly the one I'm using) and look at the Java Executable and the Game Directory sections. I've noticed my game directory for some reason said "D:/Games\Minecraft". I changed it to "D:\Games\Minecraft\", saved the profile, and restarted the launcher and the launcher launched the game no problem. It's a rare occurrence with me but it does happen.
    Doofankfofkort and ShelLuser like this.