[Help needed] Blood's Monster PC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bloodra1n, Jun 20, 2014.

1. I would go with Nvidia as apposed to Radeon, I am very satisfied with my Nvidia GEForce, but you may have other opinions. I did not like the interface and all the changes made in Windows 8, but I have heard it has better performance than 7.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  2. Its not actually smoother, have u seen its setup
    bloodra1n likes this.
  3. I find it more buggy than windows7
    bloodra1n likes this.
  4. It was designed to be smoother. Going up with my post the other day, if you have the bare minimum to even run a computer, of Coarse your going to find some fps issues and skippiness. That is no different than Windows 7, or others. No matter what your running on, whether it be Windows 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, or any others, if you have bare minimum requirements to run your PC, your going to experience lag. Windows 8 does not cause any of that.

8.1 is the only buggy one, when you download it it says: "Warning, this product is in BETA and is still being updated" or something like that. and they tell you to expect to find some bugs. What bugs did you find when you had Windows 8 / 8.1?
    bloodra1n likes this.
  5. First of all I would like to thank all of you for giving so much feedback.
    You're all being very helpful and clear in your arguments.
    In this post I'll respond to some of you, including the main points of discussion;

Thanks for the heads up on 780ti. You gave clear arguments, very helpful.
    I googled a bit for gtx800, but the releasedate is fully unknown and could be somewhere in september too.
    Since I want to buy my computer around the 1oth of july, I'm not going to wait for that.
    Also, the rumored specs are a not that awesome so far.

I just looked it up, and it seems that W7 professional and W8.1 pro have the same price, since I'm purchasing it along with the PC. Would you still recommend W8.1 pro over W7 pro?
    With both versions my Ram would be supported, right?

Why is it that you not recommend Cooler master supplies?
    Any bad experiences you or anyone close had?
    Are better alternatives in the same pricerange, or will it costs me some extra?

Pretty clear, thanks.

That is a noticable difference, but the price is almost the same. Atleast worth the consideration!
    Is it meant for gaming purposes? Because that's going to be the main use of the PC.

Wouldn't I regret that decision in the long run?

I don't exactly know at what resolution I'll record, but I'll go as high as the PC can run, without noticable fps drop/lag.

I'm probably going to do that as well, to ensure that I always have enough room for more videos.

I will definitely keep you all up to date!
  6. you should get a super OP hdmi cord. some (depending on the cord) can get support up to 8k resolution.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  7. I think this one depends on what you like the look of most, personally, I would choose Windows 8.1 because it has almost the same features as 7 but just in different places. Once you get used to it, it is rather cool. I had big problems getting GTA games working on 8.1 but I got there and after they were fixed I was pretty happy with 8.1 apart from not being able to play Left4Dead2. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, use Start8 (I think it is) on 8.1 because it gives you the start menu at the bottom left that we all like to use to navigate the PC, which basically means 8.1 is 7 with a metro system once you have that! On top of that, Windows 8.1 is newer and so will be looked into and supported more than 7 will be. Though, if you want to play lots of old games, use 7 if you don't want to plow through looking for fixes...

Also, I am pretty sure I use a Cooler Master fan for my CPU. It works pretty good as far as I can tell! I have had no problems myself so I don't see why not, but of course, each product is a new story for everyone.
    bloodra1n and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  8. From the research I did, SeaSonic is considered probably the best and most reliable PSU manufacturer. They are known for high quality products. You'll probably be fine with that Cooler Master, but it's worth considering. Maybe this one.

CPU's aren't really built specifically for gaming I don't think. They are built to perform multiple tasks (different cores) as fast as possible (GHz rate). This new processor will definitely do a great job at anything you need it to do, it tested higher than the i7 4770 in all of AnandTech's tests.

Probably. I wouldn't recommend it, just thought I'd mention it :p
    bloodra1n likes this.
  9. w7 professional supports up to 32Gb of ram, While windows 8 supports a ton more.

Between the 4770k and the 4790k the only real difference is the TIM Intel used on the chip and that it's clocked 500Mhz faster, it's not really a gaming cpu it's more for people who do video editing and such but it still preforms very well in gaming.

Here's a setup that I plan on building in the future that seems to fit what you are looking for. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G7GYQ7

Another thing if it is at all possible it's always better to buy the parts and put it together yourself, it's actually pretty fun to do and you get the hang of it after a couple trys. Although there is the added risk of doing it yourself you don't have to wait the extra week or so for someone else to do it for you, along with the shorter wait you don't have to go back to the builder(s) when a part goes bad and you get to admire your work when it's put together.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  10. Some tips from someone who has built several gaming rigs:

1. Don't pay more to upgrade to a better CPU. If you want better performance, upgrade the GPU. I'd personally suggest a Radeon 290 or 290x.

2. Unless you are planning on doing memory intensive programs, you don't need more than 8gb of ram. My personal rig runs off of 8gb, and it can play games at max settings.

3. If you are ever planning on adding multiple GPUs in the future, you might as well get a better power supply in the start

4. If you plan on being a gamer with the rig as long as possible, do not mine cryptocurrency, it decreases the life of your GPU, and lowers its performance. Build a mining rig if you really want to.

5. Water-cooling is worth the upgrade, and is easy to install if you buy one premade

6. Windows 7 is much more stable and works great with more games than Windows 8 and 8.1
    bloodra1n and sqiggleyjeff like this.

11. Is that an 'internet cable'? Or is it something else?
    I feel so noob at this lol.

I'll consider that one, thanks.
    I will probably go with the 4790k too :)

A few things that I noticed on your setup, I am going to put it out here to discuss, because it might affect the way I'll have my own setup.
    You have a mobo I don't recognize, and to be honest I don't know if the mobo in my setup is any good.
    On memory you have 2x 8gb, while I currently have 4x 4gb. Which one is better for gaming?
    I noticed that you have a 1000w power supply, are you even going to use that much? Or do you have that for future expansion?
    Why so many fans? o.o You have like.. 9 fans. Where you going to put that all? Also, they are low on price, does that also mean they can break quickly?

In this case it's worth the extra 65 bucks, I am not handy with computers myself, and I don't want to ruin my hard worked for beast PC. :p I'll have it assembled for sure.

Is my current power supply sufficient to carry 2 gpu's in the future? Or would I need a more extensive one?

Since that has been a main discussion point in this thread, could you please come up with proof to varify your statement? What games, how much more stable? There are a lot of factors that could change your experience during games, so are you sure it has to do with W7/ W8?
  12. It is close with 700 watts, but you should be fine with any newer card if you had two, as newer cards run off of less power.

From personal experience, my encounters with Windows 8 have been buggy, however I tried to look up some additional information. This is an image from a test between Windows 7 and 8 by hardocp.

And this is a direct quote from the article:
    So it actually appears that Windows 8.1 has an advantage over 7. So it's up to you to decide.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  13. All of those fans are used to replace the fans that come with the case and radiator and fit all of the mounting points on the case to improve airflow.

Msi is a great brand of motherboard I'm actually using one of their motherboards in the computer I have now, EVGA is a big gpu manufacturer and for the price that motherboard comes with some amazing features plus I like the look of it.

4*4Gb is good when you have a motherboard that runs quad channel ram but since this motherboard only runs in dual channel going 2*8Gb allows you to tack on an extra 16Gb further down the road when you feel it is necessary.

Since the 290x sucks down power I put down that psu just so that if you ever want to run in 2 way crossfire you can.

It's up to you really if you want to change anything these are just parts that suit my need.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  14. Hey, finally got through to John; he says that it looks like you not only have a decent setup there, but that it looks like you're already getting great advice. So you've got the stamp of approval lol.
    Congrats on the splurge again! :)
    bloodra1n likes this.
  15. Most likely to be the final bump.
    I got my salary, this is the final check to see if I did it correctly.
    Any feedback is still very welcome! I will most likely buy the PC this week.

cddm95ace and DragaoNimhe like this.
  16. Not sure about the case... I think you at least should get a Corsair Carbide 300R. The 200R doesn't have a really good airflow.
    If you want to spend a little moee on your case, you can also get the Corsair Obsidian 450D. I own one myself, and it defenitely is worth the extra cost. It also has more room for future upgrades, and the airflow is better.
    bloodra1n likes this.
  17. I just purchased my Monster PC!
    I expect to have my PC delivered somewhere between 21st and 27th of july!
    I can't wait to play the real games, skyrim, watchdogs, etc you name them!

I want to thank everyone who replied and helped me out! This would have been a lot tougher without your help!

1 x Corsair Hydro Series H55
    HXLC9Z
    € 59,90*

1 x ASUS R9290-DC2OC-4GD5
    JEXV06
    € 404,-*

1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
    YQBMMV00
    € 119,90*

1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    HW7I27
    € 319,-*