HELP ME PLS (installing OS)

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by RickyAndrea9, Jun 27, 2017.

1. so i have a dell 3020 optiplex pc, but every OS (operating system) failed i downloaded them (such as linux mint) what are some downloadable OS that are easy to install on a pc with no OS on it already?

pls elaborate if you try to explain it! aka tell me all the details

im VERY good w/ pcs, but installing OS is not my strong point!

and are there any store that sell OS cheap near richmond, CA, USA?
  2. Download windows 10 free woth the media creation tool
    UltiPig likes this.
  3. I would highly recommend downloading/buying a copy of Windows 10 and flashing it with the bootable USB that Windows sells. It is $119 but it's a better alternative to trying to flash it yourself. You can make your own bootable USB if you have one of a decent size and a computer already working
  4. i would suggest burning a iso to a usb or dvd....
    BenMA likes this.
  5. Any OS downloaded, you need to have it burn to a CD or USB under ISO software. After that, you can install it to your system. If you use Linux, you will need to tweak your bios. Good Luck
  6. Use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 <--- that
    And get a 4GB or bigger USB flash drive, wipe it, run the tool and put the OS on that drive.

You'll then need a Windows 10 key, I suggest just ordering one but I bet most computer stores sell em. They usually come with the CD of course.

When you first boot up the system, enter BIOS, find the "select boot device" or similar page, and find the option to boot that USB drive.

If you have an SSD, do make sure that you put Windows on the SSD and not the HDD. SSDs are faster and gr8er

Hope this helps :)
  7. ok thanks, but literally a few hours be fore u posted this, i got linux to work :p
    UltiPig and ShelLuser like this.
  8. still reccomend trying to get windows, linux is poopy lol
  9. Linux is way better if you know how to Program.... Windows is good for those who do not want to program to update say a GPU update, and all... Its also a lot smoother and faster than windows....
  10. As far as ive seen windows is way faster, linux is definatly better for programming, but for an everyday pc windows wins by far.
  11. I have to disagree with that.. .

I have tested my self the speeds and Linux IS 20x faster than Windows on same specs...

I have a Windows 10 laptop
    Ubuntu 16.04 desktop
    17 Ubuntu 14.04 servers
    10 Ubuntu 16.04 servers...

So you can see I can more that testify to the speed difference.
  12. i use linux mint "cinnamon"
  13. Linux is wayyyyyy faster random internet dude. I don't like linux nor do I use it but it still is super fast. Theres a reason they install it on crappy old laptops to make them run.
  14. true, bi i got a win 7 reinstall disc and a product code, and i need to now how i install it on a pc with linux mint already installed! anyone know how?
  15. I see your guys' Linux and I'll raise you with FreeBSD :D At least we have no systemd annoyances (nor related exploits).

Tricky. You'd have to repartition, set up one part for Windows and the other for Linux. So it heavily depends on how you set the whole thing up.

Easiest way: install something such as VirtualBox. It's available for most host platforms including Linux. What this does is create a virtual computer on your OS. So then you can install just about any other OS inside that. Effectively allowing you to run Windows 'inside' Linux.

Maybe food for thought?
  16. well, the thing is, i dont want to dual boot linux and windows together, i just want windows, i really dont mind if linux doesnt survive :)

so can i format hard drive and then install windows?
  17. Yes, You should be able to format the hard drive the install windows, I'm not sure with Linux though, I haven't even gotten near it, I really want to. I would suggest putting the windows onto a startup USB, and then when your computer is booting up, press (I think F12) F12, and enter the bios, then go make sure you are booting from the USB you plugged in. That's how I do it...
  18. In that case I suggest that you first boot using your Linux CD and remove all partitions. Some Windows versions still have huge issues with recognizing other partitions which are not Windows and this will ensue nothing weird goes on.

After that it's merely an issue of booting with the CD and following instructions. By default Windows will try and use the entire disk for the OS so there's little you have to do there.

Warning though: If you plan on using Win7 and continue to use Win7 then be careful with the Windows updates. As you might know Microsoft is keen on forcing people to update to Windows 10 and even though they allegedly stopped doing that the updates which make it happen are still out there.
  19. Well, I am late to the convo, but I will make a few comments, since this is a topic I enjoy.

Linux Rocks...I mean...anyone out there ever hear of Android? Heh....that platform is built on the same kernel that many know as Linux. Google has also come along and slapped their brand on a free product and taken it to the bank.

As far as the partitioning query above, You can almost always add a Linux installation beside Windows, but Microsoft does not like to share, and will in most cases simply overwrite the entire drive.

I do agree that while Linux is faster due to not being bogged down by so much fluff as Windows, and not initially indexing everything beyond belief, Microsoft / Windows does garner the wider range of program compatibility, but this is narrowing as time passes. Steam is actually one of the pioneers to focus on bringing gaming to the Linux community. So with companies like that taking notice of Linux, the selection should continue to grow.

As for the possibility of what ShelLuser was describing above in regards to Windows 7 trying to automatically upgrade to Windows 10 due to Windows Updates, here is a nifty tool to help avoid such a problem : http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

There is even a step by step youtube video on how to run the GWX control panel at that link.

This tool allows you to continue getting Windows 7 Updates, but prevents the Upgrade process. This way you can keep getting Security and Important updates such as drivers for the next 2.5 yrs when Windows 7 will officially be on the chopping block in January of 2020.

Another thing to note, sometimes if an entire drive has been formatted by Linux, it would most likely be in EXT4 format, and there is a possibility that Windows won't recognize the drive at all. To remedy this, simply use your linux disc and run a program most likely bundled in there called Gparted. This program will allow you to format your drive in NTFS for Windows to recognize the drive. I have used this program many times to prep new hard drives, and correct formats for such an OS installation. If you happen to have a non-gnome based version of Linux, then you can get a copy of Gparted here : http://gparted.org/

The format issue probably won't happen, but it could, so I just tossed that out there. Good Luck with your computer project, I saw this Dell is capable of running Windows 7 ( Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate ) Windows 8 / 8.1, Windows 10, and Ubuntu from the manufacturer....which means if you did happen to try other possible linux distributions that were not Ubuntu based ( Linux Mint is Ubuntu based), then that could have been the reason, as support for stuff such as drivers may not have been available for it to initialize correctly. I also saw this computer can handle the 64 bit...so I would install that to allow for more memory usage.

Oh, well....Sorry ShelLuser, I wasn't trying to out ramble you on a topic, I just haven't had too much tech talk lately after changing jobs from computer repair to machining. The pay and benefits are better, but I miss the opportunity to assist someone with situations such as this...not sure there can be a price put on helping someone else....but bills don't seem to care.

Anyways...Good Luck on your endeavor Green_Parrot, and looking forward to a successful sit-rep in the future.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
  20. the windows i have is on a disc...

and thanks all :) il will try your ideas :)