Hello Empire

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Vinsombra, Apr 3, 2017.

1. So I just started on empire last week, and got lucky enough to get auto sorted to SMP8. The PWU builds are very helpful for getting started! When I get a little more established, I'd love to lend a hand to one, either on SMP8 or another server. Empire is my first experience Mincrafting with others, and so far it is very positive.

I often play with my young son (6), showing him various builds and getting his input on designs and ideas. I'll let him fight the mobs too, but he's too young for the social and economic parts.

I've already been helped out by a few people, including a cheap set of gear and a good beacon mining session by JustADeadZombie.

As good a place as any to ask, I suppose: I've been trying to put up a double piston gate on my res, and I swear it is redstone identical to one on my test bed world, but only one set of pistons fire (the base set don't fire) is there a quirk in empire's redstone I should know about? Maybe pistons have issues with block permissions or something? I built it all myself on my res, so it isn't that someone else's block is gumming it up. Any ideas? Maybe someone could take a look sometime?
  2. Welcome to EMC, smp4 rules.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. pistons do not work the same on EMC as they do in single player or regular minecraft. They call this a vanilla server but a few things have been altered to improve playing experience for all players
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Welcome to the Empire! I think you'll find very quickly that smp8 is the weird server, and that's why we're so great. ;) As for the redstone, I don't believe that pistons are changed at all from vanilla, but hoppers are significantly slower here. If you haven't solved the problem by tomorrow, I'd be happy to come on and take a look. :)
    Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  5. Welcome to EMC! If you have any questions just ask:)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. Welcome to the Empire minecraft :)
    About redstone: I wasn't able to find the list with changes they made annynore, but something like an easy piston door souldn't be affected by it annyways, I'd suggest asking in Town chat on all servers, there's always someone online who can do redstone...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. Welcome to the Empire, hope you're going to enjoy it here. You may find the servers to be a little quiet at the time of writing, that's because EMC is mainly a US server so 'prime time' is more centered towards the US (see the events page, this lists the official "EMC time"). But that doesn't mean that there's nothing to do of course! But I figured I'd still mention it just in case.

Mwua ha ha haaa, yeah, lucky until they break away from the Empire :eek:

ok, ok, that was an April fools joke, but I so couldn't resist this one, even if it is 2 days too late :D

The official PWU thread is here, and they always welcome players who want to help out. Just make sure that you contact the official owners / members before you do anything yourself, otherwise it could be picked up as griefing. There's a reason why they keep a list of players who are officially allowed to make repairs to the structures...

But yeah, that's the spirit! :)

That is awesome! Yeah, that's the only thing I'm sometimes missing out on: playing with family. But then again, the whole community is one big family in itself and that makes up for it :)

You'll be happy to know that EMC is very kid friendly. Chat is basically "EMC" (Extra Mild Chat) which keeps most nastyness out (but I wouldn't fully rely on it) and in general EMC is a very friendly server. A dear friend of mine has a son who is almost the same age as yours yet he doesn't understand English at all. He does manage to write some phrases but that's it. Well, even he is able to have fun here from time to time (trying to break things, which he obviously can't do, but recently he learned about pushing buttons and that seems to be very interesting as well) :D

And then there's the community itself of course!

That's the Empire for you alright :)

When in doubt always use these forums, that's what they're made for. You can also check out the EMC wiki which contains information on just about everything there is to know about the Empire. And we also have a nice players guide section here where you can find tons of guides and stuff written by regular players. (I'm not trying to do self promotions here, honest! :D).

And always feel free to poke me when I'm around, people generally consider me very helpful ;)

There are 2 very important things here to keep in mind.

First: there are several specific changes between vanilla and the Empire. For example: hopper transfer rate, item repair costs (anvil), villager trade locking, etc, etc. You can find a full overview of those here.

Second: there will always be a so called timing difference between a single player session and multiplayer (server). One way to test this for yourself is to use the option "Open to LAN" and then trying those gizmo's again. Or of course setting up a server of your own (which is easier than it may sound).

My guess is that those doors only work in single player and not multiplayer due to the involved redstone timing. Of course, it depends on the door. I'll be online after this post (and after I got myself something to eat) and I'll have a look on your res. to see if I can find anything.

Will report back later if there's anything to report (using PM).

Also: block permission will not affect redstone on your residence, this only applies outside town, and also only if 2 players are working on it. For example: if I place a piston and a block (polished diorite) then the piston will be moving that block around. But if my friend were to place that block then the piston won't do anything because of the block protection. Even if they're my friend and even if I'm allowed to break their blocks.

But that does not apply to residences.

(edit) I think you just given me an idea for a new (mini?) guide :)
    mjnoe70, Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  8. Can confirm. ;)

Anyway: Welcome to the Empire, Vinsombra! :)
    mjnoe70, ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  9. Hi Vinsombra. Welcome to the Empire. Also watch out for a person called ShelLuster, he can get a bit long winded at times, or is that all the time. :p Oh well, enjoy your stay. :)
    Equinox_Boss and 607 like this.
  10. Welcome to EMC buddy!
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  11. Welcome to EMC! Glad to have you though not sure about that smp8 landing spot! Could be why you have redstone issues too (Just Kidding)! I have had to alter my own designs for various restone timing issues but I have no complaints as for the numbers of users and overall size the changes made do a great job of making EMC overall very close to a local play situation for adventuring and mob hunting in the wilderness or waste lands. I find those things to be much more important than my redstone creations and usually after some tinkering I can get the stuff to work.

BTW, stay away from many of these characters... "I think they got a few short circuits in those minecraft bionic implants!"
    607 likes this.
  12. Welcome. But, oh my gosh, seriously, why is that so lucky? Why does everybody think 8 is so fantastic? Plus, even if you didn't get sorted there you could have moved there.
  13. "Second: there will always be a so called timing difference between a single player session and multiplayer (server). One way to test this for yourself is to use the option "Open to LAN" and then trying those gizmo's again. Or of course setting up a server of your own (which is easier than it may sound).

My guess is that those doors only work in single player and not multiplayer due to the involved redstone timing. Of course, it depends on the door. I'll be online after this post (and after I got myself something to eat) and I'll have a look on your res. to see if I can find anything"
    - shelluser

I never thought about timing being an issue on emc when doing redstone. not sure why I havent but that explains why my last redstone contraption worked on singleplayer vrs EMC. now im going to go back and fiddle with my ideas more see if i can fix the timeing of the redstone. Like MissBonnieParker I too thought pistons where changed but timing also san explain that. as a side note MissBonnieParker is not one of my alts.
  14. Welcome to the empire... great place for adults and family to play together.
  15. WRONG smp3 rules
    takenID likes this.
  16. Welcome to smp8! you might have seen me there already, but if not, we will!!!

smp3 is alt-ville

On the other hand, smp4+smp4=smp8 so smp8 rules double as smp4!
    Zrugite and Doorfne like this.
  17. Welcome to the Empire!! Where dreams become real. If you build it they will come.
    Tuqueque likes this.
  18. Yes, You'll notice that Jeb Doors don't work too well, although I have figured out my own design that works flawlessly on EMC :p
    Slime Block launcher timings don't always work, Shulker boxes being destroyed by pistons is not a thing on EMC, and theres more... Welcome to EMC! If you need anything, feel free to find me on SMP3!
    607 likes this.
  19. uhh, no, SMP3 rules! SMP4 is alt-ville, just look at ScareCobi
    GALLIFFREY likes this.
  20. Welcome to the empire! The PWU services are the best. Cheers to the PWU team. :D