Have a special someone in your life? Be sporadic!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ShelLuser, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Hi gang!

Disclaimer: I am proud to share that this post is posted with approval :)

So yeah... I don't like valentines day, father/mother day and anything else they can throw at us. Who is they? Why, the commerce guilds of course. You do realize that Santa Claus only became more real after a massive push from the Coca Cola company I hope? If not: learn your history!

First: it's all commercial. Of course they want you to buy those chocolates or that sporting short (?) for your hubby. Especially because they made sure to raise the prizes for male/female preferable gifts a few days prior.

Second: come on, let's be realistic: where's the surprise? Because that is what makes these things special. Depending on your special other of course... Nothing negative: some people expect something on valentines day so then it's only natural that you provide... or is it? But that's a discussion for another time.

I'm really more into sporadic stuff. Surprise that special someone for a change. Why? Who needs reasoning? Because you can! And more important: because you love (or at least really appreciate) that special other. That is why. Don't buy gifts because it's valentines day. Gee whiz, that happens every year. Buy (or get) 'm something because you feel like showing some appreciation!

The rose bouquet

So yeah, I address a personal topic and then I also expect that the poster shares a little bit of personal info themselves. That's only fair. I'm 48, single, and I actually enjoy it. Freedom. When I have a business meeting and it's getting late I don't have to call anyone that things are getting late, I don't even have to warn anyone about dinner. I'll be just fine. Do I grab a bite on my way home or do I take the extra effort by cooking up something myself? Or... maybe when it's not too late I order something (in the Netherlands we don't have the concept of 24/7 stores).

Of course there's a little more to this story ;) I'm also dating. I once met someone I really liked at work and the feeling seemed mutual (it got confirmed later) yet even though we spend plenty of times waiting together at the bus stop after work (it's a bit difficult to take a passenger when you have a scooter / motor) I never really felt confident enough to ask for phone numbers, e-mail addresses and so on. Nor did she.

We met by accident many years later (I left the company in between) and this time, also older & wiser, we shared everything there was to share at a local train station restaurant (e-mail, websites, phone numbers, place of residence). And we started dating.

Only "problem" (not for us): we both got used to living alone, we enjoy the freedom. But... we also enjoy each others company very much. And that's where our weekend dating started to kick in. Every so many weeks she comes over to me or I go over to her place and we have a (usually) great weekend together. Many of our close friends sometimes wonder about this but heck: we feel fine, we enjoy this, so who cares?

Back to my story :)

I do a lot of shopping at a local super market which just so happens to be very close to the main city bus stop. The same I pick up my girlfriend when she's coming over to visit. So yesterday when I picked up some stuff I suddenly discovered (near the cash registers) that they (temporarily) sold flowers. And they had a very nice rose bouquet. My gf likes roses, so....

So I bought 'm, took 'm home, put them in a bucket (I don't have many vases) and today I brought 'm with me to welcome my gf back into town. A nice hug and then I was asked 'why the flowers?'. Why indeed? So I basically said "because Minecraft 1.13.1 got released" and we had a good laugh :)

Seriously folks, why I'm sharing this? Simple really: what got her the most is that she never ever saw this one coming.

Well, that and because I really enjoy, respect and plain out love our warm and friendly Minecraft community. Fun fact (yet meant seriously): EMC is the only online game I actually sporadically donate to. One of the main reasons is because EMC is honest. Not always perfect, sometimes things may not go the way you hope or like it, but they're honest. Honest! :)

aaanyway.

Seriously... do you have a special someone in your life? Are you on a "we know" basis (he/she knows that you really like them)? Then why not just go out and get them something nice. Nice doesn't have to be expensive. Nice is nice. A bouquet of flowers, a pair of socks (don't ask! :D), chocolates?, maybe a Minecraft account they always wanted, or just something which you think they might like. And if you do that don't just toss it over: give it to them, tell 'm why you got it for 'm and maybe remind them how much you mean for each other?

Those sporadic moments are honestly more than often also the best moments. Those you'll remember.

Because you will take your hubby totally by surprise and that ladies and gentlemen, boys & girls, is what will make those moments special.

... just don't overdo it :)

As for me.. Well, I anticipated that after I picked up my gf we would be doing some shopping for the weekend because we always like doing that together. And that is why I really enjoy shopping with smaller super markets. My gf put the bouquet in her backpack because it was easier, and after our shopping (at the cash register) the lady not only recognized me from the day before, but she also noticed the flowers. "Aha, I was wondering if you bought those for her", she told me/us and we had a good laugh about that.

I love those moments :)

Seriously: be daring sometimes, do something sporadic which your special someone won't expect. If your relationship is solid you're both going to enjoy it. I'm sure of that.
  2. Damn I thought you were 23, not in yours 40s!

I don't know why you're posting this so early though, Valentine's day is in 173 days, 8 hours 4 minutes, and 40 seconds way..
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. :)

Many people also often imagine me way younger irl than I am :) Anyway, this is what I like about our Minecraft community (and many tech sites): age, gender, stuff, doesn't matter. And most of all you'd be wrong anyway ;)

Because this had nothing to do with valentines day :) Seems someone is looking out for that though ;)
    607, TomvanWijnen and Otus_NigRum like this.