Happy Father's Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Windylava, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Hey Empire Community!

With Father's Day being this Sunday I wanted to take a moment to give the community a thread to share some of their favorite stories about their father or father figure in their life. :)

One of my favorite memories of my Father was when I was going through a very traumatic experience up at my college and I received some very very bad news at 11pm at night. I called my parents crying and my dad asked me if I wanted to come home. I honestly did want to just get away for a bit immediately and my Dad drove the four and a half hours at 11 at night to bring me home from college. From Philadelphia to upstate New York and back. I couldn't have asked for a better father. He seriously is my life inspiration and if I can be half the great person my dad is I will be happy. I have yet to meet such a selfless individual. My father gives, and gives, and gives and never asks for anything in return. If I ever do become successful in life it will be because of him. I love my father, and I open this to you EMC, share your favorite story about your father.

To all the fathers on EMC, Happy (Pre) Father's Day!
  2. My dad got me into Heavy Metal
  3. Mine showed me how to do many things such as use a skid steer and backhoe
  4. My dad is a lineman. But considering that it is extremely hot and humid this weekend, I hope anyone having to work outside is safe!

Although I prefer mothers and grandmothers (because mine aren't annoying to me, and mine have more in common with me), happy Father's Day to those of you who prefer fathers and grandfathers, don't have a preference, or prefer both!

EDIT: My dad got me into riding four-wheelers, "Polaris" rangers, etc., and it's one of the few things we enjoy doing together. He also was the one who helped restore water from the creek upstream into the pond and the creek downstream in 2012 (for the pond) and an unknown date (for the bigger creek downstream), and the pond has become an absolute wildlife hub.
    Equinox_Boss and Windylava like this.
  5. You don't love fathers equally?
  6. My dad is molding me into a hard working person so I am gonna help him with all kinds of heavy lifting :p
    Equinox_Boss, Windylava and We3_MPO like this.
  7. My dad taught me many things, including how to take care of my car and how (not) to drive it ;) We also spend lots of time together in the workshop making stuff with our hands and some pretty great tools. Today it's blacksmithing, which is something we learned together! I really love spending time creating stuff with my dad!

It's my turn to whack some steel against the anvil now - but I just wanted to share some thoughts. Hope y'all are having a great weekend celebrating the dads and grand-dads in your life
  8. omg i forgot it was fathers day tomorrow
    Equinox_Boss, Windylava and We3_MPO like this.
  9. Happy Father's Day Everyone!
    We3_MPO, Equinox_Boss and Otus_NigRum like this.
  10. Happy Father's Day!
    We3_MPO, Windylava and Equinox_Boss like this.
  11. My dad failed his GCSEs (high school graduation exams you take at 16) on purpose and walked out of college on the first day and never returned, instead running off to his dad's charity organisation and demanding a job there. When his dad died, our family no longer meant anything to them and they slashed his pay in half and doubled his work hours, coinciding with my birth. My mum had a decent job and was on maternity leave and now got child benefit. Then my brother was born, and then my sister. Of course, this was during simpler times, when you could afford a house and a family with this type of job, so we were okay.

He got me into gaming, bought me PlayStation games, taught me how to use a mouse and keyboard, and he'd spot me playing games on the computer in the morning and not tell me off (my mother did lol). He started working at my school as a maintenance officer, returning to his pre-2000 level of pay and for shorter hours.

And then the 2008 recession hit. We were shielded at first. And then the 2010 general election came around and people blamed the incumbent Labour government (1997 - 2010) for the state of the economy and the country's budget deficit, and voted in the Conservative-Liberal coalition government. They cut his pension, doubled my mum's university tuition fees, cut school budgets so my dad's pay got pretty much chopped in half, cut the child benefit, and made landlord laws more lax so the house we lived in got more expensive as it fell to pieces. There were many, many days where I had hardly anything for lunch and my dinner was often as small as spaghetti on two slices of toast. It was during this time I discovered oh hey my dad has anger issues when he's extremely stressed, (admittedly, a seven year long one) but I'm not going to go into that part of my life.

My mum started her own business a few years later, her pay got so much higher than my dad's, we could afford so much stuff, and it's during this time I started to appreciate my dad a lot less. Even now, I don't rely on him for emotional support and he doesn't really even seem to care about my education unless my grades start to slip. Both of my parents are employed in the same sector (she's a teacher, he's still a school maintenance officer), with astronomically awful pay for what they do, but hey, I'm in college now. Everything works out now. There's multiple weeks where it's incredibly difficult to just live, but I'm here. Both of my parents make everything work but my dad even more so, with no qualifications or anything.

Although I'll never forgive him for voting Brexit smh but we both like to discuss politics so that's a plus

Without my dad I wouldn't have had such a passion for gaming (I still do, it just burns less bright because of the scumpanies who are huge in the industry), I wouldn't have someone to look up to who can do as well as he has for his family in the face of what is, admittedly, self-inflicted adversity, and without sounding like too much of an ungrateful idiot, he's given me an example of what not to do with my life - he and my mother have told me this themselves. His situation is what spurred me on to do well in my GCSEs when I felt like I didn't care about them, it's why I've given myself panic attacks during this exam season trying to revise as much as possible and not feel like it's enough so I can pass college, and it's why I'm trying to find something to study in university or at least do an apprenticeship in. And if I can do this I'm already on track to becoming the man of the household by next year lol

Plus without him I wouldn't have anyone to watch football with or make inappropriate innuendo with that makes my mum uncomfortable. Even on Friday night he gave me more money behind my mum's back so I could drink more than she was allowing me to at a party. If I ever get rich first thing I'm doing is buying him (and my mum obviously) a nice house somewhere away from my crappy town that he hasn't left in his entire life.

That's an essay.

He can't read this but I luv u very much dad
  12. I know the feeling of having not enough to eat. Luckily, that was all in the past