Halp? Teleportation Science!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bloodra1n, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Sup fellow empirians!

Teleportation on EMC is science. It's been documented for a bit on the wiki, but not everything!
    I have an idea for a build which requires teleportation between multiple residences, this is possible with RTS (for example 3004@shop). However, I want to do it, without people seeing the actual location sign.

The way I imagine it, is that people click a sign with 3004@shop, it teleports them on the 3004 residence, in a shaft, that makes players fall (or any other automatic trigger mechanism) to teleport them to a different residence on a set location(say 3005@test).

However, a few things are unclear from research both ingame and online:
    - The amount of residence locations are set to 100 for diamond supporters. Is this per residence or per player?
    - Is there any way to trigger automatic teleportation (such as shaft with pressure plate on the end)? If so, how?
    - Is there any limit in which players can teleport? (I remember seeing 3 seconds somewhere, however, with testing this was not confirmed)

The first player who help me out here receives a nice reward! :)
  2. You never have to see the text on a teleport sign, since you can hook it up to a button or pressure plate, or even just under a block with no pressure plate. If you were going to hide the sign at the bottom of the shaft, why not just hide the initial sign? Of course, I might not be understanding what you're trying to do. :p
    Equinox_Boss and ChespinXMas2k16 like this.
  3. Why not use a button? You can use a button which can trigger a teleport sign a few blocks below. Easy peasy :)

I suppose I need to get back into the contrib team, but I'll re-read tomorrow and send a suggestion their way if applicable.

Per residence.

I don't understand the question. Yes, you can use buttons and pressure plates to initiate teleportation. Better yet: you don't need pressure plates anymore, when you walk over a buried sign (max. 3 blocks below) you will also get teleported.

Once again: don't fully understand the question. The player who initiated the teleport (either who clicked the button, walked over the sign, etc.) will get teleported. Its a per-player only event, not a mass one.

I assume this is me, please don't. I don't do this for profit.

If you do insist then I have to insist that you send it to .... <randomizer> 607.
  4. -per res
    -resnumber@location on the second line works if you have perms on the res being teleported to. Not too sure what you mean here, so just gonna quote the wiki on teleport methods:

-slight delay confirmed. no more than a couple seconds. this is intended.
  5. Good catch! Button is an option indeed. However, I really need the sign for the initial teleport, one of the reasons being the biggest hitbox for teleport and because of that really foolproof.
    So while button was a solution, it isnt the solution I was looking for.

Player sees res1@shop on the sign, but where the player ends up is res2@test. First sign must be visible, the second tpmethod can't show the resnumber it teleports the player to.

What I need is a solution AFTER the initial teleport. A player needs to be automatically teleported to a different location by any means. Automatic meaning no clicks or movement necessary from the player. I thought this was possible with a long vertical shaft with a pressureplate triggering tpsign, but that doesnt seem to be succesful yet?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. I seriously don't see what you're trying to do here.

I think you're trying to do something without telling us exactly what your your goal is. And I think you're doing that to try and uphold a surprise. So I think we might want to take this to PM.

Have you tried teleporting the player onto a block where there was a teleport sign buried beneath? I seriously wonder how that might work out :p Otherwise: surround the area. So the moment the player takes a step they'll get zapped towards the new area. Could that work?

Feel free to drop me a PM if I'm right about the secrecy, I think we can work something out but I'd really need to know all the details here, esp. what you're trying to achieve.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. I'm going to PM you.

I'm still open for suggestions tho. Rewards will be given out when the solution has been found :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. So you want, for example, a 3004@shop sign to actually send you to 3005@test, but without the player knowing the name "3005@test", so they can't just /v there and bypass the sign, is that right? But they could just /v to 3004@shop and it would have the exact same effect.

So, the exposed sign has to be one that the player can't just /v to. I suggest the classic one with coordinates, and have the vertical shaft exist on the same residence as it.

Now the issue is probably that it won't let you teleport that quickly. Does it work if the drop is really far, i.e. takes a long enough time? Or will it not even let you teleport to a space in the air? What exactly doesn't work with the vertical shaft you've tested? You may end up needing to bring in water or pistons or something.
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  9. Don't worry I had to basically memorize the Wiki when I came back. So much good has changed!
    Rimont, Jelle68 and ShelLuser like this.
  10. ok blood I think I got your solution;

Step one set you first teleport sign up so that even if they do /v the will still teleport to the second location.

Step one: stand over the block and set sign one to that block. they see the sign and can click it it teleports them to the block right in front of it or where you set it to.

step two, under the block you set the first teleport sign to , place your second teleport sign, to new location.

so either way if they click the sign or do /v res1@shop they will still go to second location.

If you would like to see this done I can show you on my res and if its what your looking for all is good.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. Well, almost. It's not about bypassing, its about branding. I wish to combine multiple residences and give players the feeling as if it is just 1 residence. To do that, the initial sign will have branded resnr on it, in this example 3004@shop.

Your solution works as intended (when we fix the shaft issue), however, the initial sign shows random coords. What I would like to have is the branded resnr on the initial sign instead.

The problem with the vertical shaft so far is that it does teleport me up high in the sky, but when I drop back on the pressure plate it doesn't trigger a teleport. Neither does it work if I drop on a different pressure plate.

I don't understand your proposed solution yet and I'd like to see it ingame :)
    Uber_Corq likes this.
  12. I'm happy to inform you guys that I've found a solution that does exactly what I was hoping for.
    Because you guys helped out with brainstorming and answers, you'll receive a 10000 rupees reward!

Edit: Rewards have been paid out, thanks again!
    Uber_Corq likes this.
  13. Just build Aperture Science Enrichment Center
    bloodra1n likes this.