Gold farm issues

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by PetezzaDawg, Oct 12, 2017.

1. I recently began construction of a gold farm in the nether using piston pushers activated by tripwire. However there is one problem that is getting in the way of the efficiency of the farm, baby pigmen are spawning and taking up all the space meaning larger pigmen can't spawn to activate the tripwires and push them off. I have thought of using trapdoors to make them walk off and die however sections of the farm are out of the distance from the afk spot within which mobs are able to move by themselves, so I was wondering did anyone else have ways to get around this? If it doesn't use a second account on a minecart track going around the farm that'd be much better, thanks all!
  2. You could move the pistons down to the baby pigmen's height and power them briefly with clocks. But if you use any full opaque blocks on that level, spawn rates will be lowered.

Another option is to use observers to detect activated tripwire and drop the mobs down by sticky pistons.
    PetezzaDawg likes this.
  3. You need observer block to detect a string block that has an entity in it.

I made a mod farm on the basis of this system and it works perfectly on emc.
  4. That's a unique design, I will have to play around with that, myself. If it works well, it might actually be a great solution to this problem and to some of my own builds.
  5. Pete, can you take a screenshot of the design? I can give you better options if I see it.
  6. That is a great solution for many mob farms, thanks for sharing!
  7. Cube,

I have 3 of those towers with a total of around 10150 spawning spaces and another wierd issue I've noticed is that they only produced 32 nuggets each in 3 hours... Even with the baby pigmen, that is much less than what many of my previous tests showed, and also is dramatically less than the farm produced when I first built it. Anyone got any insight into that? I think thats just straight up spawning and drop rate issues.[/IMG]
  8. If nothing has changed with Aikars spawning code if any of your spawning spots are 64 blocks away from you , they have no use.

https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/changes-from-vanilla-minecraft/

Plus you need to be at least 24 blocks away but not farther then 38, I may be wrong on the 38.

If you are just going for gold, you could of made just 3 platforms, in a ring style with a 13 by 13 whole in the middle.

a 24 block drop to auto kill, or set it up, for both xp and auto kill.

You use a snow golem to agro them into the drop.

I am setting up a wither farm that is using the piston push method , but it is set up in a V style, so if they are baby pigman , they get pushed off also, from the ones above them.

I can show you it , tomorrow, when I log on, I use string and a clock system to keep the pistons moving till nothing is on that layer.
    JesusPower2 likes this.
  9. Yes, this system work perfectly as mobs will spawn on blocks with string on it. Then as soon as the string gets an update the mob will fall to their death. Rise and repeat.

I'll be honest, I have tried building nether gold farm and have found that none are as effective as overworld nether portal based farms.
    You can see one of the examples that I have built on smp6 here. The kill room has been modified since to have it toggle xp farming or auto-kill.

10. The agro range on EMC is very small, too small for a farm of that type. I did a test and ran the farm for another hour and got 0 nuggets from any of the farms so I'm beginning to think there's a bug with either the spawning or the drops.
    cubefragment likes this.
  11. While there is always potential for bugs, I am more inclined to think there is an unconsidered variable in play. Minecraft mechanics are very subtle and there is a LOT of misinformation posted on the popular wiki and video sites.

Cube's design works very well. After seeing his farm, I analyzed the design and adapted a larger version for a friend. :D His design is the most efficient I've seen, in that it does not sacrifice portal density to create wander gaps. After all if the farm relies on aggro why not fill those gaps with more portals?
    cubefragment likes this.
  12. oooooh, THAT kind of farm. I thought you were talking about this one:

I'm sure nobody missed this but I'll just say again, I built this farm in the nether, it uses piston pushers rather than portals. I thought this design would be better as a portal block can only spawn a pigman once every 4 hours, but a regular farm can spawn mobs constantly, at least in theory.

Edit: Regarding the drop rates, I have a feeling you are correct on this one as I ran the farm for 20, maybe 30 minutes and got 32 nuggets from each of the 3 towers.. \_(ツ)_/
  13. Pete, I have a different setup for the nether also, no agro system needed I just built it in a V style, so the each row pushes each time, keep the mob cap down so they respawn faster, even the babies drop, it is setup to allow withers to stay alive, everything else dies except , baby pigman, slime, and nether hounds, but it is built for withers, the crusher can be changed to kill all, and you just collect drops
  14. I don't have the space for that, that's not as efficient at getting the mobs from point A to point B as this design, and in the case of an auto kill farm mobs being killed as soon as possible after spawning is hugely important.
    cubefragment likes this.
  15. [QUOTEI have 3 of those towers with a total of around 10150 spawning spaces ][/QUOTE]

Just make sure that from the AFK spot none of the spawn spaces are 64 or more blocks away from it. Your rates will improve
  16. Finally got to make you a side view of the perfect setup for spawning mobs. Note that in the picture it is for mob farm. If you build it in the nether the spawning space can be 2 block tall instead of 3 blocks tall.

EDIT: Note that the redstone is only there to allow a reset of the spawning blocks (or a off switch).
    EDIT2: all pistons are sticky pistons.
    cubefragment likes this.
  17. Just make sure that from the AFK spot none of the spawn spaces are 64 or more blocks away from it. Your rates will improve[/quote]
    The furthest spots are exactly 64 and the closest are like 10 or 11 blocks away and thanks Skare.
  18. Here are 2 screenshots.

This one is 8 mins. using looting 3, voters sword.

This one is auto kill 10 mins same farm.

As you can see only 2 stacks + 12, for 10 mins. This is an overworld portal build.

I will give you screenshots of the nether build with numbers once I have finished the rebuild on it, its only half complete.
    JesusPower2 and PetezzaDawg like this.
  19. I like the discussion. A lot of good information. A while ago I'd thought to post a thread on gold farms, similar to my thread on iron farms. But a fully constructed farm is still a ways out.

So instead, here are some teaser facts for technically minded builders...

1) When you strike a pigman it calls for help.
    • This reaches 17 blocks in the South and East directions. 16 blocks in the North and West directions. 10 blocks up and down, from the precise Y-location of the pigman's feet.
    • A struck pigman will call again for help, if it's view of the attacker has been obstructed for at least 15 seconds.
    2) Unlike arrows, snowballs can be thrown through a line of portals.
    ...and I'll leave it at that. Need to save some secrets for later.
    bryanm61 and cubefragment like this.