[FORUM GAME] Counting with Pictures

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by 607, Mar 21, 2016.

?

How far do you think we'll get before we strand?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2016.
1-50 3 vote(s) 17.6%
50-100 1 vote(s) 5.9%
100-150 4 vote(s) 23.5%
150-250 1 vote(s) 5.9%
250-500 5 vote(s) 29.4%
500-750 1 vote(s) 5.9%
750-1000 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1000+ 2 vote(s) 11.8%
  1. Ah, you also use Word's equation option, or is it from some other LaTeX using thing? :p

nltimv, Lukas3226, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Yeah, it's LaTeX. Can LaTeX be implemented into Word?!? :confused:

That's a large object!

3. You can include formulas and select the LaTeX conversion. Then you can just use the regular LaTeX syntax and math mode as usual and word will interpret it for you and create the desired mathematical expression in your word document.
    nltimv, 607, Jelle68 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Yup! Alt + = or Invoegen -> Vergelijking (pi sign, on the very right), and you're off. :D

On Word 2010, this is the first not very easy stuff I could find that I typed myself: (do note that I converted these back from the result to LaTeX, so they look weird because of that)

EDIT: and I assume that it might make some things easier than writing in plain LaTeX, because it sometimes helps you with things that otherwise would have been more difficult to do. :) (though, of course, there are also a couple of "grrr why" things, but that's obvious, it's still Word. ;))

:D

---

The number is, assuming the picture is enlarged, here ^... ;) Assuming you used this, you'll also find a slight flaw in this method. ;)
  5. Being ninja'd is always "great"... with the same picture is more interesting, though. ;)

Now, here, my content is upgraded from a bus to a train, from the Scottish Caledonian Railway! :D Unfortunately, all pictures I could find were infected with the alarmy virus, but oh well, these watermarks could be much worse. :)

6. No quoting right now, that'd be too much of a pain at the moment. :p Interesting. Still, I'd rather not use Office. I am glad it existed in my childhood, but since around 2012 it's caused more annoyances than pleasures. If I'll follow another course that uses LaTeX, I might look into Overleaf, I've heard from some people that it's nice.

I love the note about the bus, and about the slight flaw. :D

This was an easy find. An interesting Twitter profile picture.
    Jelle68, nltimv and TomvanWijnen like this.

7. I'm curious, what do you use instead of office (Word)? Of all its flaws, it still occasionally works, and when it does is quite powerful. I haven't yet found anything else that does everything word does, but to be fair I haven't ever looked at anything but Google Docs either. :p And I do need my .docx file support without it ruining things (which is why I always make pdfs when printing, as the computer connected to our printer only has Word 2007 instead of 2010, which messes up some things... yay... :p) as I often use previously made files.

607, Jelle68 and nltimv like this.
  8. It took me ages to find a picture with a number...

nltimv, 607 and Jelle68 like this.
  9. Google Docs. For this, TeXworks.

nltimv, TomvanWijnen and Jelle68 like this.
  10. *a google search later*
    Ah, interesting! I probably need more features, and usually only need a bit of LaTeX instead of lots, so for me Word makes more sense, I'd say.

It's interesting how many people seem to have switched to Google Docs by now, I'm appear to be becoming a rarer breed... :p Despite Word's plenty flaws, Google Docs still lacks a lot of features I really can't live without, sooo yeah I'm still on Word. :p

---

Interesting!

nltimv, Jelle68 and 607 like this.
  11. I can't find much, so I'll get a Chinese student again. After all, we might run out of them soon. :p (because we probably post more pictures per year than they get new students per year)
    I can't find my bookmark... Ah, got it when I posted that.

Hm, he didn't have the number here.
    After a while I found this one, though!

That's the only other one there is. I guess he only studied here for two years.
    nltimv, Jelle68 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  12. Defenetly. I also think that Word can work really well, once you've really learned to work with it.
    I have, when I was in primairy school, gotten some "minecrosof office" lessions, because our school thought it was important and because I didn't have anything better to do, as it's not like I had friends. Okay, that was with either office XP or office 2000 (the one before XP), but I am still surprised with how much quicker I am than most people when it comes to doing stuff with it. :p

I do also defenetly argree docs just isn't nice to work with. On the surface, it's better, but, especially when it comes to the spreadsheets and the presentations, it's a pain to work with when you want to do a little bit more than that. I am mainly anoyed by the presentations, but that might also be because I use slides in an unusual way: I tend to use ~10 slides per minute of presentation, which makes them easily go above the 100 slides for longer presentations... :p

nltimv, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  13. Exactly! However frustrating Word sometimes might be, it still gives you so much more freedom to do things Docs just can't do, and I need to be able to do these things. :p Just one thing is that Docs lacks a hotkey for starting its (inferior) equation system... I use that hotkey so, so incredibly often sometimes... I had to do a physics report with someone last week on Docs and every single time I had to make an equation I was annoyed and slowed down... :p

---

Cool circuit! Sadly, not the right number.

Ooohhhh another steam train! :D

607, Jelle68 and nltimv like this.