Food Food and even more food help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 820327, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Alright we all love food greatly and cant live without, so in turn im reaching out to the EMC community because we cover places from all over the world and i am in need of your help. Im looking to see if you guys/gals can throw out some ideas for me as i cant just travel the world and see for myself. Im looking for a dish(es) that represents the area in which you live as a whole or you can list more than one. Reason im asking this from all of you is because i have something im planning, and getting ideas from many other people works best. So if you all would list away and please include the state/country in which they are from thanks! And if you have any questions feel free to ask.

UPDATE: if you would like go ahead and list your favorite type of cuisines from a place outside of where you live as well.
    Equinox_Boss and _CheshireCat__ like this.
  2. Not sure if it's all around Virginia but in my area there is this barbecue place that makes some amazing barbecue sandwiches with barbecue, steak sauce, and oddly enough lettuce which is not bad in my opinion
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil, salt, olive oil

one of the best Italian appetizer dishes :)
  4. My favoritehas to be asian(Chinese) cuisine. I myself have been to china, and an authentic chinese steamed bun with red bean paste that just melts in your mouth is one of my favorite foods. Also, china is very cheap in comparison to america.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. I'm a big "foodie" myself. I'm particularly fond of Greek and Cuban food. However, since you asked for foods from our area or region:

I'm from Florida, born & raised. So definitely fried gator tail. I'm also partial to frog legs. "Greens" are a big southern dish (and delicious) the main choices are Collard greens, Mustard greens, & Turnip greens. I personally am partial to Collard greens. And of course, on New Year's Day you must eat black-eyed peas &a ham hocks! (Again,a southern tradition). I was always told it's because if you eat a "poor man's meal" on the first day of the year, it will bring you good fortune for the rest of the year. I always thought, if this is a "poor man's meal"... they've got it pretty good! I love black-eyed peas & ham hocks!

Hope this helps.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. When you come to Canada, stop by Quebec and try some of the best Poutine around or try some great pizza from Ontario. People tell me Windsor has the best in Canada.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. loving to hear about all these foods, so much that if you guys/gals would like to go ahead and throw in your favorite types of cuisines. im interested in the cuban/greek that you were wanting to mention mob. and ive heard alot about poutine shadow even done some research and been something ive wanted to try for a while now.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. When i went to Roatan Honduras, i had their King Crab there, as it was something everyone went to have. :p

In Cozumel Mexico, It may sound funny, but i had their Taco's (The real stuff, not the ones you buy at the stores or at taco bell, haha).

And in Canada, I would Suggest going to some seafood place. When i was in Vancouver, I went to this seafood place right on the water, was so good... :D

If you go to Cuba, Bring some Spices, hehe...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. Cuban food is NOT spicy, unlike food from most of the rest of the Caribbean. Primary seasonings are garlic & culantro (not to be confused with cilantro. Similar, but less bitter and less strong). There are a lot of Cuban immigrants (refugees) here in FL. So I guess you could say it's become "local food" particularly in south FL. Some of my favorites are skirt steak (covered in garlic, culantro, & olive oil), pulled pork, black beans, cassava (starchy root vegetable kinda like a potato, yet very different), and "dirty rice" (a mix of rice, ground beef, olives & seasonings). I don't know the secret to the pork, but it is amazing & not like any other. Usually pork shoulder, slow roasted until fall apart tender (but never dry). I think it is either sour oranges & garlic or seasoned with mojo... I sure wish I knew how to make it.

Can't tell you much about Greek food. The best here is across the state from me about 2.5 hours away. Primary meats are lamb & chicken. A lot of olives, squash & zucchini is used. There is one dish where ground meat & rice is rolled up in grape leaves & I think it's then steamed (cooked somehow). You eat the whole thing including the leaves. It's delicious. I always get baclava for dessert. Thin layers of philo pastry dough, ground almonds & lots of honey... yummy!

I almost forgot: here in FL we have lobster. Not the ones most people think of with claws from the Northeast. These are actually Spiny Crayfish. Found throughout the Caribbean. They have no claws and have small spikes on most of their body. You only eat the tail. Texture & taste is somewhere between shrimp & crab, leaning a little closer to shrimp.

Tell us a bit about local foods in your area!
  10. I'm to picky to be a "foodie" but if I don't know what it is and it smells decent I'll try it.
  11. here in OK i say its just normal food because its well...what i consider normal food lol nothing that sticks out except for some of the fast food restaurants that have some pretty good dishes. some of the really good food that i can think of resides in texas in Galveston i believe? there is one also a boat ride away from there that is always very packed each time i went to visit family.
  12. In America? Ramen noodles (although that does apply to Japan, eh).

Outside of America? Sweet and Sour Vegetables. Simple to make but they taste great! (You don't even need to use a Wok). You can also add some chicken in, but make sure you cook it a little before you add it in, because the vegetables will cook faster than the chicken.