[EVENT] September 11th Memorial Service

Discussion in 'Empire Events' started by Krysyy, Sep 11, 2015.

1. I remember that day. I had just started my own freelance software development business a week prior to it. I had scheduled the 11th as my day off to run errands and take care of things before business got crazy. I was driving my dog Seth to the vet and groomers when on the radio they first said something had happened in NYC. Reports were confused on the radio at first. It sounded as if someone in a private aircraft had had a terrible accident. By the time I dropped off Seth and got home, that had changed dramatically. I watched the second tower fall on tv.

The vet called, and they were closing early as many businesses did. I went back and got Seth. The vet and groomers and I just looked at each other, not knowing what to say. Everyone was so very very quiet that day. The gas station, the grocery store, just looks of deep sadness. The little speaking that had to be done was done in very hushed voices. It was very much like a funeral that day. The only thing people could offer initially was their grief and silence.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  2. Its the event that took place on 9/11 that was terrible not the day itself. You have to think about all the people who have a birthday, anniversary, wedding, or some other form of positive event that takes/took place on that date. I'm sure they still continue to enjoy their day but that doesn't mean they enjoyed what took place on that day and definitely doesn't make them sick and twisted. I get the point you were trying to get across but it was just could've been worded better. ;)
  3. What I said was in relation to HelloKitty's 'you can't be happy on 9/11'. The point about birthdays and stuff like that did cross my mind (I know people with birthdays on the 11/09 :p), but I didn't see any reason to include it :p
    Penguinub likes this.
  4. I was 7 days old when it happened
  5. It was 2977 people Q
  6. I don't think I can make it tonight, but those who have lost family and friends will be in my prayers. My hearts go out to all who lost someone that horrible day.
    607 likes this.
  7. I'm trying to get on but all of the slots are full
  8. Beautiful ceremony, Krysyy. :) Thank you once more and may we never forget.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. "A true hero is one who does not expect reward, does not relish in glory, but would give it all to make a difference for someone else." -Krysyy
    -
    -
    Thank you for the service, Krystal.
    ShelLuser, 607 and CadenMann like this.
  10. I have not forgotten 9/11.

What I remember most are the images. Fathers, mothers, trapped dozens of stories above the ground while fire closed in. Faced with either burning to death or jumping. Many held hands as they stepped out.

Articles and stories read years after can't capture the emotions that accompany a tragedy like this. Watching it as it happens, wishing for those people to be rescued, wondering if someone you know is trapped inside, not knowing that the towers would soon collapse, waiting for news of the other missing planes...
  11. <rant>

At the time of writing I'm standing on the edge of the memorial right next to a friend of mine who I never met in real life but who I still consider a friend. I'm standing here, right next to him, to support him a little, without him I'd probably have left sooner. This hit him up close and personal.

But that's not what I want to talk about here. First and foremost I want to thank the Empire for actually doing this. For taking the time and effort of setting this up and to put a real life situation onto our beloved game of Empire Minecraft. Normally I feel that some real life situations or issues have little place on the Empire because in a way EMC is also a bit of an escape. Our fantasy world where we do our things. But on the other hand I also think that some things need a place here. Someone hurt over a broken relationship, someone who doesn't feel comfortable with themselves, and even someone who just got engaged. They all have a story, whether positive or negative, and they all have a place to share it even if they don't have this in real life. Yes... to some of us it is unimaginable, this also forms the basis of my previously stated opinion, but there are those who don't have others in real life to talk to about these issues. But they found that here: on Empire Minecraft. More specifically: the Empire Minecraft Community.

And with that in mind I think this memorial was the right thing to do. And it was impressive allright.

Just one more thing...

People who got annoyed over other people. Yes, I also addressed one or two other players myself, in private, and who those were is none of your business.

But please remember this guys... We all express ourselves in a different way. We all deal with this sorrow in a different way. And just as much as people should show some respect to those who want serenity and silence, those of us who want that should also respect those who want to remember it differently. That is the time when you need to remind yourself that this is still Empire Minecraft.

Even those members who jumped in the pool. Yes, I also expressed myself in public about that, I don't agree with doing that, but....

Guys... Please keep in mind that we are here together with players of all ages. And I mean this in the most respectful way. We do what we do. Where I consider jumping in the water at this time as disrespectful another player who might be 8 or 10 as far as I know may honestly not see it as disrespectful but simply as... well, yes: curiosity (where does it lead to), maybe a little playfulness or maybe just the urge to "do" something.

Let me share something... quite difficult to share (I knew I should have waited longer with my beverage) but... here goes:

At one time I was at a funeral service and a family had brought their youngest son with them. Who had a really hard time with keeping quiet. Instead he kept asking questions about where grandfather was, and if he might be looking down at us from heaven and if so if he could be sitting on that cloud over here <now pointing at the sky>. Or maybe it was that cloud? No, surely it had to be that one specific cloud because grandpa always liked cars, and that looked just like one.

An uncle steps up to the pair (more distant family of mine, an uncle of some sort) and he plain out tells them right during the moment of silence for all of us to hear: "Don't worry about it <my uncles name>, this is more stressful on you than on <the deceased name>. If he were here with us he would have smiled", he then turned to the little boy (distant nephew of mine) and plain out asks him what brand of car he would think that cloud was. Yeah, was it a Ford, or a Chevrolet or... "You think about that for a moment son, and then tell me in a moment, ok?" he said. And for sure: the kid remained quiet for a while.

What I'm trying to say here... Instead of going at this with "the kid is being disrespectful" (easy) its best to take him serious instead. He also missed his grandpa just like we all missed him. But he simply expressed himself in his own way.

To me this memorial was no different. Keep in mind that we're all people of all different ages. Like I said in public chat later on: do it your own way, but also do use some common sense.

And I think we ended up doing just that.

Never forget...

</rant>
    HelloKittyRo, 607, CadenMann and 3 others like this.
  12. New Signature, Thanks to Krysyy for the wonderful speech
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. Sadly I couldn't make it. I had 2 soccer games all clamped up together.

But I will say that my Uncle died there from jumping out the building. To this day I watch the news report of the 2nd plane hitting the tower and my heart drops. Now we know whats behind the bush, and not just over looking it.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  14. Set up a little some thing at my res Check it out (8713)
    (edit- its now removed)
  15. I used to live in New Jersey, went to high school there. I still have some family there.

On 9/11/01 I was in college. I got up early that morning to hit up a class and someone texted me to turn on the news. This was after the first plane had hit but even then no one really knew what was going on. I didn't go to class that day. I spent the day talking to my sister, making sure she was okay. After that I tried getting in touch with high school friends to make sure they were all okay. I had one friend who had an internship with a company and he worked in the WTC. He just happened to be out of town that day on vacation though so he wasn't in the building. It also happened really early in the morning so I doubt he would've been there anyway but I had to be sure. (Side note: he has since quit that job and opened up his own business in another state partly because of the trauma of seeing co-workers and friends go through that day)

It was definitely a shocking day. I was watching the live footage when the second plane hit and it was pretty horrifying. I mean I have to take a step back and realize that me watching it live on TV is nothing like actually being there but still.

They say to "never forget" but I'm proud of the way folks forged on with their lives afterwards.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  16. Went to the res, points out one of the signs are missing; and is kicked from the res.
    LBoss9001 likes this.
  17. No offense: but this has no place here. No need to pick on Christopher in public, even though you could be right.

For all I know you could have called him names while pointing this out which got him upset and he removed you. He's new, you're a vet, obvious story, right? Not for me. Note: I am not saying you did or didn't, I'm saying I don't know. I cannot know. I'm only hearing your side of this story here.

But this stuff has no place here in my opinion.

Respect that he doesn't want you around, don't try to "get even". Move on.

Edit: obviously I'm only sharing my opinion.
    607 likes this.
  18. Wow... reading some of these posts... people were killed? This really is terrible. I don't know if I can ever truly understand what happened on september 11th some years ago (what year was it?), but every year I realise again that it's much worse than I thought.
    At first I thought only the people in the plane died, but now it turns out there were actually people in the buildings too...
    I don't know what to say anymore, but... yeah. I'm sorry. I don't think I have anything to do with this happening, but I do really feel sorry for it.
  19. 9/11/01

Answering your question, but yes people died in the buildings and other buildings around the Twin Towers.
  20. Thanks. I may seem highly ignorant here, but keep in mind I'm not from the USA. I'm actually surprised we weren't taught about this at school.
    ww2fan168 likes this.