Empire Minecraft News: September 2015

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Sep 21, 2015.

1. There's 2 different interfaces to YouTube... Paying people to do videos on your server, and then getting people to do videos on your server who are already members.

#2 is what the YT team was for, and has nothing to do with #1 unless they happen to also be one of the large players.

But those don't automatically get the traffic from #1... Where most MC players are watching. So no, putting focus on the YT team would not of been a major advertising boost. I think we have a few people on EMC with a decent # of subscribers, but ultimately: it's not millions. Where as I can run an Ad on a server list and get multiple millions of views.

Please let me worry about the marketing elements of the server. I know how to analyze sources, project reach, and summarize results. It's kind of what I do for a living :/ It's not something I'm really looking for direct help with.

We will focus our attention on elements we believe will give the most benefit to the server at the time.
  2. Well there is a few things that people can do. They can complain, which solves nothing, they can help out and maybe add some content or get over it.
  3. Agreed that if it isn't a big thing then not much should be made out of it. The whole sentiment here that complaining accomplishes nothing or that just because someone wants something they should do it themselves or even "pointless things" seems to me to be downplaying what has been said here. There is demand for youtube videos/videos of EMC. Complaining does accomplish something. There is this really cool saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." If there is something that you aren't happy with there won't be anything done about it if you do nothing. Complaining, when not in the position to do it yourself, is SOMETHING. Calling the lack of content by the youtube team pointless doesn't change that there are players here that have expressed that they would like to see videos of the server that they spend so much time on.

Marketing? yeah whatever, I will let ncc stick his foot in his mouth on that front. Player interest? I think it's obviously there. Sure there isn't as much demand for the videos as there is for a smooth running server, content release, updates, name changes(cringe) or our favorite unmentionable.

I was seeking the help of the youtube team to see about an idea I had for a friend of mine when I did look for their help. I thought it would be pretty awesome to have a short quick video that featured his really neat res but with the ability to actually maneuver in a cinematic fashion around the res, which neither of us could really do seeing as it's not on utopia.

Even short little funny videos or res spotlights would be nice to see. Anything that empire could claim as far as videos really. Currently I don't have the hardware ;-; or I would definitely be interested in hosting some myself.

Quick short videos or even 5 minute-ish videos would be easy to do once you have the format down. Opening title, signature musical diddy and then a signature opening scene can get the first minute/minute and half which after the first video becomes basically five minutes to complete.

There seems to be several people here saying that skarec or cory is bashing on the team. I don't see that, I see interest in something that seems like a no-brainer.
    SkareCboi likes this.
  4. This was the point I was trying to make. Getting those basic things down on videos is something that hasn't happened yet as far as I'm aware. It's not the YT team fault, as those are things us admins need to make the plan for, push for execution and final review.

But as said, it's been a busy year. Things like that require a solid chunk of time which is hard to guarantee when so many other things are going on.

That "favorite unmentionable" - same boat. It takes forever because it requires solid chunks of time, which has always been hard to provide.

We just now are getting to the point that we have the help needed to split the workload up, on my front and Krysyy's (like with others being given team lead roles, and new devs for me)

It's hard to get the YouTuber team going when they didn't even have those basic elements like intro/credits, consistent branding, etc.

It wasn't their fault is my point. The admin team was just too overwhelmed to finalize those things.

We know the system needed work, that's why krysyy made this initiative. What bothers me is the 'complaints' came after initiative was made. Complaining about the past AFTER effort has been made to rectify the problem.... I don't see how that benefits anyone.
  5. I find that EMC in this past month have been a little more antsy lately. Is it the Fall time and everyone is facing the fact that winter will be coming soon?

I find people should get along no matter what and yes opinions should be respected negative or positive. Don't bash on the player who made the opinion. It tends to be Nccoryg or his brother (Not pointing fingers) because they want to help the server out, not destroy it. Let's all remember that we are all humans here. (Should I count myself? :confused:)

Treat others the way you want to be treated.
  6. Awesome creativity!
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  7. Cheers for the updates, a lot there, and congrats to all winners and new staff! I'm sure that they'll do us proud.

As for loaning items, I understand where you're coming from, though I do have a fair amount of items on loan to the museum... I do keep contracts for the items so that the players can recall them at any time through me on forums and it's run very smoothly so far and we've never had an issue. I do understand that you may have had issues with other players and them loaning items, but I feel like less people are going to want to help out with the museum now, even if there is hard evidence in the form of a contract for them... As I say, I do understand the problems, and I will always personally give items back to people when they ask for them back from the museum, and while I would never plan on getting banned, I'm sure that other players like re-assurance in the form of a contract... This is all a jumble of my initial thoughts to the comment really but I thought that I should share them, cheers :)
  8. Ok, now its my turn. I waited it out a bit to carefully read everything, watch things unfold, and not jump to conclusions. I also waited for the staff to respond, and since that's now all behind us....

This is just my opinion and I'll also be honest from the start: being a member of one of the volunteer teams actually made me feel addressed as well, even though I'm not even closely related to the YouTube team.

My main (personal!) gripe with all those comments is that they drew conclusions which couldn't be made in the first place. Not without being a member of the team. "xx months without contents means nothing is happening". Just because you don't see anything happening doesn't automatically mean that all team members were simply being idle. And that's the part which bothered me to be honest. For all you know some team members could have been working their butts off, but (as already mentioned by Krysyy, so I'm not revealing secrets): the optionally required input from the staff could have been delayed, or lacking.

So if you then start complaining that the YouTube team did nothing, what effect do you think that would have for the motivation or morale of those team members who were active?

That is my main (personal!) gripe with these comments. They assume too much for my liking and I think it's a little unfair towards the YouTube team members as well. There is a difference between stating that "The YouTube team hasn't produced much video's lately" and "The YouTube team hasn't done anything at all".

Note that I'm not looking for discussions, I'm not making arguments, I'm merely spouting my opinion on all this after the facts (basically to make sure I can rant a little within already set boundaries).

Please don't involve me into arguments like this, especially since you didn't even try to get your facts straightened out with me up front. I don't mean to be harsh here, but you're now making arguments which are flawed from the get go. And you're using me as an example, a flawed example, and so I now feel the need to bust this myth right open...

Here's a (rhetorical) question for you: did I write those tutorials as a member of the contribution team (so were they officially backed up by EMC, for example by posting them on the blog) or did I do so on my own personal accord?

The answer is obviously that this was a personal effort. In fact: when was the last time I actually wrote something officially for EMC, so within my role as a contribution team member? You know, like something for the blog? The answer to that one is simple: never so far *

Edit: * This is excluding work done on the wiki because I consider that a team effort, not something done by one person. My colleagues have had my back on that several times; helping me fix some typo's I left in for example. Wiki = teamwork.

So... At the risk of being a bit too harsh, but... If we follow the same reasoning as to the YouTube team comments, would this mean that I haven't been doing anything at all as a contribution team member? Please keep in mind that in order to share those tutorials all I had to do was click post, I didn't need the staff's help for it.

So yah... Me being able to write & share tutorials means absolutely nothing in comparison to the (in)ability of the YouTube team to publish new videos. You can't compare those two like this.
  9. For people moaning at YT team:

MANY servers are designed for YouTubers - especially big ones. EMC very much is not. EMC content is a huge pain to make, not because of anyone, but because of how EMC is designed. Want to record a Momentus fight? Good luck. Wilderness content? Really really samey. The only viable thing to do is tutorials - but they can cost tens of thousands of rupees per take.

YouTube is very fake. Let's plays which seem to all be one take of "I'm adventuring and this is real" may have multiple takes for some parts. The amount of cutting that you don't even realise happens is huge. EMC's design makes this cutting extremely hard to do.

Even assets are difficult to make - some people record in 720p, some in 1080p, some in 30FPS and some in 60FPS - and since people use different editing programs, having something look good AND consistent is really hard to do.

For anyone considering applying for stream team: download xsplit broadcaster free and run a Twitch benchmark. If you're not getting lots of ticks, you can't stream. The requirements are far higher than you'd expect.
    Penguinub, SoulPunisher, 8808 and 2 others like this.
  10. Now for Contribution... erm... Writing... no... erm...

I don't know, I'm not a bleeding poet >.>
  11. Don't worry, everything is staying ending in 'Team'.
    ShelLuser and 8808 like this.
  12. True 'Team'
  13. I spent 30 minutes trying to find a rhyming name for the Contribution Team when typing my post. :p
  14. Great Thread Krysyy .ConGrats To all the new staff members, I know they'll do good!
  15. Hey Krysyy, could you please add the new mob suggestion form to the Suggestion Box Rules and Guidelines to make it easier to find? Thanks!
    ShelLuser and SoulPunisher like this.
  16. Awesome! Congratz to all the new staff! (and I really regret that I didn't participate in the supporter graphics :( )
  17. I know I'm late with my comments, but meh; for reasons mentioned above I stayed out of the arguments a bit. So now that's over I'd like to make my actual comments. Maybe I can even start a new trend: comment in November on the news of August :D

Anyway, a little more serious; there are some really cool new things which I didn't even notice so far!

Congrats to you guys, but I'll have to be honest: apart from Carol I don't know any of you. So yeah, because I know Carol a little (I've seen her around more) I am going to play favorites a bit and give a specific congrats to her as well; I've seen you around enough to be convinced that you'll do a great job!

Yess, I've been waiting for this one! Awesome that you guys finally implemented this one, it's going to make the lives of voucher owners so much easier...

Here's the thing: I've used vouchers often enough to know that they need to be redeemed, but I always keep forgetting the URL to use. Simply because it's not exactly easy to recall the Google form URL. Now, the easiest option would be to have this listed on the supporter page but that's only easy because the URL of that page is easy to remember (I actually know it from the top of my head: http://upgrade.emc.gs/).

And I know I could bookmark the URL in my browser, that's not the point. At one time I actually got a voucher as a gift from a dear friend who I was visiting IRL, so obviously the first thing I want to do then is show them how I'm planning to use it & redeem it ;)

So this really makes my weekend. Because now I don't have to go dig up URL's on the wiki, I can simply type 'm right in. There's even an easier to remember alias as well: http://redeemvoucher.emc.gs/

Hmm, suppose I should get myself another voucher to redeem soonish so that I can test all this ;)

Awesome update!