EMC financial Situation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nerone94, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. when i saw this i face bedded just like what is happening with me down here
    mba2012 and ZBSDKryten like this.
  2. WOW, i support to not only keep EMC running, but to donate as a thank you. I donate money for thanks now and then, but the way this place runs is amazing, and the amount of time they dedicate to the EMC is incredible, anybody who thinks it is stupid them taking money out is completely horrible, like i said before, i wouldn't care if they took ALL the money i donate.
    they are hard working people, they deserve to have a little sideswipe of the money that is left over. nuff said.
  3. I agreed with most of your posting, that's why I clicked "like". In particular, that there's too many hateful replies, useless replies (e.g. "LOL NOWAI!!!"), memes, and ad hominem arguments - that is, arguing against the person instead of the issue; e.g. instead of saying "That is a stupid idea because..." (and saying why), people are responding with "You're stupid". And I wish the mods could do more to head off those types of useless postings.

There's a couple of parts I don't quite agree with;
    It's not literally everyone - there's a lot of great, friendly, community-spirited people here. As I wrote elsewhere, the problem is the "Nice user:Idiots" ratio, and the solution is more active moderation.

I have. I've made some simple suggestions for improvements, which have only had a few comments saying "Yep, great idea". Unfortunately, there's not much more to say, so they quickly fall off the "most recent postings". I hope they're not forgotten about, but I fear they are.
  4. ^ That is an example of a rational discussion turning into an attack on a specific person. There is no need to make this personal; Terimator908, why are you attacking nerone94? Instead, can you explain why you disagree with their opinion, and share your own ideas.
  5. I don't see why not. There's nothing to stop you donating money to e.g. Microsoft, if you want to.

As far as I know, EMC has never claimed to be a charity.

There's absolutely no obligation for EMC to do that.

I agree.
    nerone94 likes this.
  6. Oh dear. So the money I pay may not be going to support Justin and his team in their daily life? Thats what I want to be paying for, after covering their expenses. In the long term this is not sustainable if the people who run it are not making money from it. People have to eat, pay rent, support their kids. Eventually time must be taken to do these things and if they are not earning money here, they must spend their precious time doing some other job to survive. And I think a system as good as this one should run and run, so the idea that the people at the top are doing this for free is quite worrying.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  7. Okay... cake is angry.... prepare for a wall of text.... or two.

When you click the upgrade button, you are getting both a donation and a subscription. You are donating money to EMC and its affiliates to provide payments for its staff and the servers, etc. But, at the same time, you are subscribing to the listed perks of the package you choose for 1 months time(unless you prepare for a longer period of time).

I myself have donated what, $100 in the 4 months I have been on EMC? That's quite a bit of money to just send off to someone across the globe just because you enjoy playing on something they created. I don't have a job. I don't have an allowance. My family can barely pay the bills each month. But you know what? I don't care. As I told Twitch the other day, I kept donating not to renew my diamond status, but to continue showing support to a community I have grown attached to.

This community, this family, the Empire has been there for everyone. They were here for me when I just about lost it when my friend passed away, they were there for me when my grandfather in law ended up in the hospital. They were there for me when I wasn't feeling so well. They were there for me through the last 4 months of my life.

Unfortunately, though, recently a large group of griefers, spammers, scammers, and just annoying people have flooded the servers. It happens. Deal with it. Cope with it. Learn to live with the problems of society, because they won't ever be going away.

The fact that you are stating everyone of this community's members is a horrible person is just outrageously ignorant. Yes, the memes are ridiculously overused. Yes, people are rude. But what else can you expect from people who constantly try to help newcomers yet they don't even know the basic commands after just going through the tutorial? Or just getting through the tutorial and asking for rupees?

The use of money given to EMC by donation is not up to us to decide. It is up to those who receive it. Let's use another server for example. A server I know of, which had 180+ people on at once had a good community and such. But, after talking with retired staff, I had found out the truth. The owner of that server used donation money to pay for his gf's iphone for valentines day, a community college(including a busines class in which he failed), and worst of all, to bail a friend of his out of jail. Is that what you are thinking Justin does with the donations? Not even close. Sure, maybe he buys a nice enjoyable cake every once in a while, but if he can come out and inform us about it, that's respect earned. If he blatantly told us he needs help paying for his bills, I wouldn't doubt some of us would donate to him. But if we found him to be doing this behind our backs, thats a different story. The thing is, he isn't doing that. If anything, he has taken some compensation money to motivate him in his coding for EMC. If you weren't aware, the Residence plugin that EMC uses in town is in fact coded by Justin and others. It's not as easy as you think it is to code. A little motivation is necessary to keep going and improving everything.

Erm, I'm completely lost in thought due to the overwhelming amount of hatred in this thread. I suppose I shall post more when I am writing my I'm leaving post.(Due to RL complications)

TL;DR: No, no tldr, read the darn post.
    Dwight5273 likes this.
  8. 24471023.jpg lol yes.
  9. I just want to point something out. Everyone's saying, "Oh, EMC is so full of *ssholes and idiots these days!"... It's really not. There are a few, but there are always a few. And maybe in some sense you're right. Maybe there are a few more than usual. But that's not the problem. The problem is that when someone says something hateful or idiotic, rather than pointing them in the right direction, there are other people who start flaming. EMC will always have its jerks and its trolls. That's not what defines the community though. The way we support each other when we need it is what defines us. And I think we do a pretty darn good job with that.
  10. Copher is evil in my opininion :mad: stealing our members!
    matthew12hydro and jkjkjk182 like this.
  11. Let's be honest, he didn't do a very good job at stealing them.
    HylianNinja, jkjkjk182 and oidgod like this.
  12. I've been paying attention. I think the (maybe) 7 or 8 people that left to help his Empire Destroyer have slowly been migrating back. :p
  13. There is something that some people have failed to comment on about costs and expenditures when it comes to running a server.. Sure, you can always run a server off of your own server for free of charge, however, there is always going to limitations to how many can connect to your server at one time.. even less if you use the same computer to connect into the server to play while you are playing. Some of you may know that I used to run a server of my own for people to connect to and it was being hosted through the cheapest server provider that I could find.. Which still charged $1.68 per slot at the time I was using them. I ran with 10 slots as it was all that I could afford until my funds at that time ran out.. I didn't play on servers again (Apart from my test server for running SMP bugs for MC Wiki) for a few months until I found EMC. Im sure that that everyone knows that EMC has 10 servers running 24/7, 11 if you include the test server "stage". Each of these servers has effectively 60 slots.. Doing the math using the variables of the Service Provider I was using at $1.68/slot * 600 slots (smp1-smp9+utopia) = $1,008/month.. Of course there are many other variables to added into that including the Domain forwarding and the DDoS protection and the Website costs and everything.. Running a website/server combo isn't cheap.. Just going with the $1,008 figure that I got using the price from the server domain I was using that would require 50 diamond supporters + 1 gold supporter each month to support with no out of pocket fees, not including any other server/website related cost..
  14. Hold on I just wanna make a point - If you're worried about where the money's going answer this. WHY ARE YOU A DIAMOND SUPPORTER??!??????!!?!?!!!! If you're worried about where the money goes wouldnt it make more sense to NOT be a supporter????
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  15. Why are you complaining? :rolleyes:
  16. I would've clicked "like", but you used far too many caps and "?!?".
    HylianNinja, jkjkjk182 and oidgod like this.
  17. Nerone is right. We are all wrong. Face it! We are all just submissive sheep who have been brainwashed by our leaders.
  18. He did so because he has put money and in turn time into paying he subscription. I think that the two types of people that have to worry about this the most are current supporters and normal non-paying players who are planning on supporting and want to know if they are making a difference or solely paying for a few in game perks. I myself donate because Justin and Jeremy have done a fantastic job with these servers and it serves them right to make a few extra bucks if they do, but it is also nice to know that when a PvP server comes out and they have to finance it that my hard work; effort; money and time has gone into its creation and existence. People like nerone who are just pessimists who try to knock the world down and hate on everyone else are just pissed because they are missing out and are just in general mean spirited people. In the end I do care whether my money goes specifically into helping Justin and his family or Jeremy out in their real lives and struggles or if it goes in the server because I know it is for a good cause. I do care where my 20$ a month goes, but I know that it isn't in the wrong hands. You think that it is alright, nerone, to call each and every single person in this server... community... family out? We don't want you than as your personality only makes us the better people. So if you want to be a pain in the @**... don't do it here.
    matthew12hydro and jkjkjk182 like this.
  19. What?! Don't goooo!
  20. There are several points made I agree with. Everyone keeps saying there are a lot of rude people around here. I agree that there are rude people but I can only count maybe two or three that I always read their posts as being rude. Most of the other rude remarks I always see are people who have been members for a while arguing with one another. When this happens it's over the dumbest stuff ever.

For example someone recently asked if they could get a desktop made with their name in the shape of the Skrillex logo. LZBZ_DW went out of his way to actually make it for him, did not say even ONE rude comment about it yet people went to the thread shouting BOOO SKRILLEX SUCKZZZ!!!! 1. It didn't help with making the desktop. 2. It just spammed the thread. 3. Yes though those people have the right to voice their opinion, it was a bit rude to spam the thread like this. I see this type of thing a lot. "Hey does anyone play this game?" "BOOO IT SUKZ U SHULD PLAY A RL GAYME LIKE CALL OF DOODY!" What would look nicer would have been "I tried it but couldn't really get into it. I do enjoy Call of Duty, have you tried it?" or something.

Another thing that doesn't help is the people who do this:
    (I'm a bit lost as to what this actually answers in Herobrin3's post.) And the people who just resort to posting images repeatedly instead of reading. There was another thread that someone needed help in, we were trying to help and they kept spamming Asdf movie things and saying PLZ HELP ME!!!!!! instead of paying attention.
    There's a time and place for memes and such but sometimes it depends on the subject I think.

People need to remember that everyone has bad days. Those days where nothing goes right and you just want to slap someone repeatedly with a shovel. People say things out of anger that they don't mean. I end up doing this sometimes I admit. This is the internet which means lots of typing and people read things wrong. Venting is good, but not in a way that you can be banned or in a way that ends up you and someone fighting all the time.

I often end up finding myself dealing with my last point so I'm not exactly innocent or anything. I'm just putting this out there. >.>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.