EMC and the Microsoft Acquisition

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Sep 15, 2014.

1. It'll probably be a damn xbox live thing where we gotta pay like 10$ a month, or 60$ for a year. and we will need a microsoft account which will want us to connect with Facebook. haha there goes Minecraft. Once a simple gaming community now bought by a company to make profit profit profit and liquidate it once it ceases to being popular.
    ewils and battmeghs like this.
  2. You shouldn't be. He abandoned the game long ago, yet kept inserting himself into its business in order to keep getting what he wanted. He preached indie over and over again, yet never backed anything he said up. He preached again and again that it wasn't about the money, yet he sold it to a company he has pointed negative fingers at in the past. If he really cared about the game's core values, and the community behind it to stay the same, why wouldn't he have sold it to Valve? It is not like he had to sell it for gobs of money, he had no one above him to answer to, just himself. Valve has proved time after time to value community and modding, while also letting their be custom dedicated servers outside of their control. Valve attracts a lot of talent too, so Minecraft would still be regularly updated to the point were fans would be happier than with Mojang. So why Microsoft? Because everything Notch said was perfect political bullshit, every last word. And it worked. People are now praising him like he is a god of a god. All because they were suckered in by what he said.

/rant.
    ewils, battmeghs and kevdudeman like this.
  3. Of course! You're right! But not everyone can be as good at economics and politics and running a company as you are! It's not like any game developer should know how to run such a big growing company as Mojang.
    MrUnknownian likes this.
  4. I am not saying that they made bad choices in who to turn the game over to, I am just pointing out that what he claims are his values do not match up with what he did. I think that Microsoft will do great things with the game.
  5. I also think that Microsoft will do great things with the game. What do you think that he claims are his values?
  6. I think everyone needs to stop jumping to conclusions. I agree Microsoft aren't exactly the best company to takeover Mojang but it's done now and can't be changed.
    I can guarantee 99% that will not happen and hey if it does, you can all laugh at me and put it in your signatures if you want. Yes Microsoft are profit orientated, but isn't practically every company? There may be some unpopular additions, but charging customers to play the game is not even something Microsoft can get away with. In my eyes Mojang standalone were no better than being with Microsoft, with the slowest updates around and all the EULA crap. Like many people have said before, they stopped being this indie little company a long time ago.

What I can't guarantee is that Microsoft accounts will be at some point integrated with minecraft. Microsoft really like doing that, I'm assuming it's because it will get people to use their products.
    607 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  7. His overall values were anti big company, anti top --> down leadership, and anti gameplay restrictions. Microsoft is not the worst at that (we all know EA is), but they aren't against it either. Valve is a much better fit to those.
    Didn't they get rid of Games for Windows Live?
    Silvermom likes this.
  8. It worries me as this is the server that I play 95 percent of my minecraft time on. But as said all we can do is hope for the best, that Microsoft won't do anything stupid, and everything will be fine.
    ewils likes this.
  9. I'm about 9000% sure that they bought Minecraft to:
    - Implementing Minecraft launcher into Origin, leveraging all minecraft users to use Origin.
    - Mobile market leverage due to the popularity of Minecraft (also on phones)

I also think that;
    - They will use 'Realms' as a cashcow
    - They will just keep the 'mojang' team as it is, to have them do the work
    - Making better servers/faster updates?

Just my 2 cents :)
  10. Wrong company, Origin is EA. :p
    kevdudeman, PandasEatRamen and 607 like this.
  11. Just a FYI, EA 'owns' Origin. Microsoft do not own Origin. :)
    EDIT: Of course I've been ninja'd by jkjkjk (I knew it was going to happen ;))
  12. That percentage is impossible whether a joke or real. :3

- Realms was Mojang's attempt at a cash cow, so probably will be Microsofts.
    - They may add some new developers to improve the game. Who knows Windows and XBOX better than Microsoft?
    - Bukkit is being handled by single staff members. But Microsoft may get developers in to make them focus on Bukkit or get the staff members who are updating Bukkit to stick to Bukkit and get developers to replace them on the main part of Minecraft.
  13. Seems to just be called "Xbox Games" on Windows 8. Looks like it's essentially the same thing, but with a new name.
    ewils and jkjkjk182 like this.
  14. Here is a question:
    How come once a developer stands down, everyone decides to hate and flame them? Mad respect to Notch, and I hope for his future endeavors. If you haven't seen his blog post, click here.
    Now for Microsoft: they only things I fear is the YouTube business and servers. It has already been stated that other editions of the game won't be affected, but will YouTubers not be allowed to make content anymore? Will servers become premium or etc? These accusations have a very slim chance of happening but I want transparency.
    607 likes this.
  15. Most of us have disliked him for a long time now, him selling Mojang to Microsoft didn't cause any hate.
  16. You're getting confused with Nintendo. Microsoft let people record and upload their games onto YouTube.
  17. I Hope Microsoft Does good with Minecraft!!!!!! :D
    MrUnknownian likes this.
  18. So... Aikar...

Microsoft

Java to .Net Framework? ;) ;)
    technologygeek likes this.
  19. This wasn't directed to you, I just saw Twitter and saw massive tweets shaming Notch for now leaving and etc.
    I'm not praising Notch for being a god or something, he left Mojang and let Jeb handle everything else while he tried to work on a game. Once the EULA shenanigans started, Notch got lots of tweets flaming him for something he wasn't even apart of. Imagine being in Notch's position; attacked constantly and being bombarded by your tweets and emails to update the game. I am pretty sure that would stress someone out.

607 and BevK56 like this.
  20. Can you please link me to where you got that image from?
    607 likes this.