EMC: A collapsing economy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by synth_apparition, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B-b-but how does I get emeralds Daddy?
  2. No one is going to be "forcing" you to use the new shop commands. You could very well go on like the system was never added. That's your own choice. But many players would much rather save time and cut out the shopping around part. we are giving those players the option to do that if they wish.

Basically, your upset players no longer will have to play your way (but they can if they want). We are giving people more tools to use.

Our goal is to make the game more fun for the players, and i'm sorry but forcing people to waste their time doing something inefficiently for the whole sake of letting a select few on each server be the primary location to buy items from, is totally unfair.

Question it like this: "You have 1 hour to play. Would you rather spend 20 minutes to find the item you want to buy at the cheapest price and 40 minutes to build, or spend 1 minute buying and 59 minutes building".

Do you really think anyone WANTS to spend 20 minutes instead of 1?

We are not "sacrificing" them. We are asking them to adapt. If they are unwilling to adapt and then leave EMC, then that is their own choice. It is very selfish to ask for 99.9% of the community to give up an update that will make their daily play experience on EMC better, just to satisfy like 20 peoples viewpoint, and being selfish is not helping the EMC community.

Then feel free to have fun!

Either don't use the new features at all, or simply:

connect to SMP1, /shop buy item
    connect to SMP2 /shop buy item
    repeat, find where the cheapest item is
    compare stocks, build a list of residences to visit to complete your order
    go to that persons residence,
    find the stall just as you would before, and buy the item.

Maybe the res owner is there? talk to him/her!
    HylianNinja likes this.
  3. I have to say this is a great disscusion, but I after reading this I really dont want the new shop system I mean I see it with some tweaks being amazing, but I like the idea of just a few insanely rich players with huge amazing shops and it gives you the idea that maybe your shop can a grow a profit and become a mega shop, but with the new system someone does'nt have to work as heard all people have to do is jsut type and it will select the place with the cheapest shop and buy it, shop owners wont even have to lift a finger just have a good supply cheap price and boom profit no having to advertise. [I know some of these points are not that vaild]
  4. These shop owners are really starting to grind my gears. The new shop system would make buying things so much quicker. It can be so hard to find an item I need at times; I try going on emcshops.org but a lot of the information is outdated of false. I also think the new shop system will bring attention to smaller shops. I think mega shop owners are afraid of this. People will realize they don't have the lowest prices and they will lose business. The other day I needed a lot of sugar cane for a library I was building. I was growing my own sugar cane but I realized I would need to buy some. I went to res 1783 and bought all of the sugar cane. Realizing I needed more I asked over town chat if anybody sold sugar cane. A guy responded that he did. I went to his shop and found that he was selling sugar cane for half the price of what I had just bought. Once again I think shop owners don't want the new shop system because they are afraid of losing business. So why should normal EMC players have to deal with an inferior shop system just to make the mega shop owners happy?
  5. I wish there was a super like button.
  6. And this is a good thing..
    1) Free players are more able to make money and not be poor. The economy will finally balance between all player types... Collect items -> Sell Them -> Use Rupees to buy other things you want.

2) less spam in chat. (Really, how many times each day do you guys complain to us about advertising, this is how the current system works! Noone likes advertising). also, how many times have you seen spam "WHO SELLS BRICKS" 5x in a row... This all goes away.
    HylianNinja likes this.
  7. The EMC economy has been flawed and unstable since the beginning. Since there is no set amount of rupees in circulation there is no shortage as well as most items, eventually there will be so much of everything that nothing will have ANY value.
  8. I rekon we could balance the economy and draw more money through the system by making it possible to buy/rent anouther resedence for a high rupee price of the moderators.
  9. Why bother with economy then? Why not just "click here to get diamond blocks"?

That's 'creative'. And it's no challenge at all.

Basically, you don't like people playing shop, so you're forcing them to play your way. Basically.

Sure.

Why not give 'em inventory-editor, then they can do what they want?

It's a game, Aikar. It's all a "waste of time".

People like having to grow and farm their wheat. Give them "infinite wheat", and it's pointless. That's what you're doing.

If I could get the stuff in 10 seconds instead of 1 hour, the game would be no challenge, so I wouldn't bother with it.

Hell yeah; that's why we're here.

You really don't get it, do you?

Some of us have fun shopping.
    roblikescake likes this.
  10. So would "creative mode". Infinite resources. It's a game, it's a challenge.

Yes, it's challenging. It's a game. It it was no effort, it'd be no fun at all.

Yes, but you were playing the game. If you'd got it cheaper, you'd have felt good. Some you win, some you lose.

If you'd just clicked and got it all with no effort...would you have felt any satisfaction?

If you want it easy - ok, no problem; give people infinite free items; allow flying; and so on. You remove all the challenge of the game.

No need to search for good deals? It's just another version of "enable cheats".
  11. Most your post isn't worth responding to, as I'm beginning to wonder if you're just trolling now, but EMC is not a "shopping" server. EMC is a Minecraft server, where you build things. The focus is on building... The economy is a tool to save you time in collecting resources for when you want to be lazy. Your paying for someone elses time spent collecting resources.

This is how real life works too. If you have money and don't feel like doing something yourself, you pay someone else to do it for you. This works because your money for the most part is earned from you doing something else. It's a bartering system. You spend time in 1 area, and use the reward in another area. That's a huge difference than giving creative or free items.

That is how our server is. If you want a server where the primary task and goal is to shop, then EMC is not that place.
    Plus, I've already stated a few times you can still "shop" if you want to. We're not removing the ability for you to waste your own time.
    MR2R2M, ZBSDKryten and HylianNinja like this.
  12. You don't get it. You can still shop around if you want to but you don't have to. Also most of your arguments are very flawed. If you don't like go try another server see how much fun you have on one of those.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  13. I don't want infinite items. I don't want to play on creative. I just want to be able to buy things quickly. I want the challenge of Minecraft to come from trying to survive. Shopping isn't a game. I don't need shopping to be fun; I just need to do it quickly so I can get back to the actual game.
    SoulPunisher and Aikar like this.
  14. Thank you! That's the wording I was looking for :)
    HylianNinja likes this.
  15. Now that idea is awesome. Aikar, how about we have a set amount of rupees to keep? Lke 15k is the limit?
  16. I see your point.
  17. What good would that do? I easily spend 20-60k when doing projects in town. My SMP2 res costed like 45k. I've spent at least 20k on my SMP1 res and I got ALOT to go still, so likely to be 40k+ too.

Enchants also use to be 15-30k, dragon egg selling for 2 million, and double chests of items selling from 30-100k...

A rupee cap would destroy the economy more than anything.
    Dwight5273 and HylianNinja like this.
  18. I like the analogy, however I prefer regular vanilla icecream. In this case though, I like French Vanilla better
  19. Maybe have a bank that you could store rupees in for a limited amount of time?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.