Dufne & the duck

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by ShelLuser, Sep 27, 2017.

1. The writing of this novel was sponsored by the Shell 1024 anniversary give-away event. How does that even work? I don't know! But you got to admit that it sounds cool :cool:

One of the participants won an extra prize: a written book by me. One peculiar detail: the book contains 1024 words, no more and no less. And this is what it reads:

Congratulations, you won an extra prize in my chaotic 1024 event. So here’s 1024 words to describe what you won and a little bit of extra used for filler :)

1024 words may be a bit overdoing it but a challenge has never stopped me before. Still.. while typing this I can’t help worry how in the heck I am going to put this into a book (I’m using Word because it can count words, I know I can copy/paste but I also know a book is limited to 40 or so pages). Only 95 words down at 64, 929 to go!

As if it wasn't obvious enough the first prize is this book, I hope you enjoy reading it. Sometimes players ask me if I keep copies of my books, and well: it depends. I usually don’t because I like writing in the heat of the moment (in the actual game) and then I often forget to copy my stuff. Also because there’s usually a lot happening.

This book will be different. There won’t be a copy, but it will be “open sourced”, so for everyone to enjoy. But no worries: you’ll still have the only original, and apparently there are some players out there who can go through great lengths to get some of my works. Have I ever told the story about the player who traded an Aikar head for a ShelLuser head? When I learned about that I thought it was pretty cool :D

Which is another thing which might be fun to add: why I hardly give away my head? Well, 2 reasons… First, despite the head farms I build, I actually don’t enjoy killing yourself 1024 times to get approximately 128 heads. It gets so boringly tedious… But more so because I don’t like the idea of your head popping off. Silly idea for sure, but to me a head is usually some kind of trophy. Like I have on my outpost: a mob head sits at the door warning all the other hostile visitors ;) But despite some players wondering it’s not to try and drive up the value for my stuff, because I don’t really care about that.

The afternoon just hit, I had a good lunch, and we’re not even half way into this thing. You just had to pick 1024 didn’t you? :p You know what? Enough of this nonsense, let’s get serious! This isn’t just about me, this is also about you!

Dufne and the duck

Once upon a time there was this crazy (in a good way) distinguished girl called Dufne who lived on SMP8, the server where most of the crazies on the Empire live. It soon became apparent that Dufne really enjoyed penguins and goats, because you know…SMP8 and fish. Makes perfect sense to me!

A lot of crazy things happened (which were actually pretty normal for SMP8’s doing) when all of a sudden an esteemed boy with a lot of Rhythmically figured that one Dufne was hardly enough for an eight server, let alone a whole Empire. Nope, let there be two!

And before we knew Dufne and Duflet were a thing. Dufne (the original) on the other hand figured that the SMP8 would be much better off if it still had some rhythmically left, and so we soon got Dufne and Rhythmically who were in fact Rhythmically and Dufne. You might think this sounds pretty much the same but trust me when I say that they were not! One came from Virginia, USA while the other came from not-Virginia. And there was also this male/female thingie but that is easily overlooked on Minecraft anyway.

Fortunately for us not so much innocent bystanders Rhythmically, so basically Dufne, “bossed up” and Defne_The_Boss was born. No messing around with this lady , or she’ll boss you around! This easily brought Dufne, so Rhythmically, all the way down to the floor and before we knew he turned into an evilish little ducky called Floorfne.

And if you don’t believe me that it’s evil then why is floorfne above word number 666 (seriously)?
    We’re making progress!

So anyway, here we are right now. How this will end? It already did. What was the point? You should ask yourself, not me. But ok, you want to hear the end of the story…

One day this weird player from SMP2 called ShelLuser had an idea for an event. And cancelled parts of it. Then he had more ideas, and that got cancelled as well. Then finally he had the idea of all ideas and posted his event on the forums. Step one down, now things would get really easy. And it got cancelled. And turned into a drop party.

So this player eventually held a new event called the 1024 days anniversary where he, the geek that he is, celebrates his 1024 days on the Empire. Because 1024 days should be enough for everybody and all :)

Then Floorfne, who was still pretty much around the ground most of the time unless he was playing on Utopia where he doesn’t have his own residence; on Utopia you can fly.

What a sentence :p

So Floorfne discovered the event and figured, “let’s enter 1024 as a number, see what happens”. Little did he knew about the massive essay his choice was about to generate :eek:!

But just like all other “Once upon a time” stories this one also has a good ending. Floorfne won a unique book written by ShelLuser (only 1 copy exists) and on top of all of that he also won 1024 rupees, seems fitting enough. And just like everyone else who entered the competition he also gained the chance to win one of the three main prizes: a Dirt Destroying Ticking Tock.

Tick, tock, goes the clock, ready to destroy all your dirt.
    Players beware! Or maybe you don’t care. But your residence could soon look extremely absurd!

10 last words… Why did the ShelLuser pull the lever?
  2. If I had picked 1024, what would my book have said?

So one day middle of fall on smp2 a Tower appeared. His name was CallMeTower so we called him Tower. :p He later to help the girls on the forums game battle of the sexes changed his name to AhsokaTower. Since he listed his gender as Apache Helicopter pilot it was all cool. When the battle began the girls were behind but AhsokaTower changed the game and left when the boys could no longer stay king on the mountain top. Christmas near and many players changed names to Christmas festive titles. Thus ChristmasTower was born and jolly through the NewYear. After the ball dropped and a new year began AncientTower came to play. Ect..............
    FadedMartian and ShelLuser like this.
  3. A good question, and I honestly don't know. See, the main thing I'm going for with this event is to make it extremely ad-hoc and unpredictable. I got the idea about the 1024 prize this morning, started writing parts of it and this is the result. So there was no pre-determined plan at all.

Another important detail though is that both players (Rhy & Dufne) come from SMP8, so I allowed myself a little more freedom with the silly stuff. If it had been you there would most definitely be some silliness in there, but I'm not sure if I would have addressed the name changes. Though... well, considering that I also enjoyed Star Wars clone wars and definitely can admire the Ahsoka character (I always write the name wrong, so Ashoka instead of Ahsoka). Chances are high that I would have addressed that part, but who knows :)

May the Craft be with you Tower! :D
    607 and AncientTower like this.
  4. An interesting read! :)
    But, uh-oh...
    And it's a signed book, so it can't be fixed. :D
    ShelLuser and Floorfne like this.
  5. I don't know what I expected, but this was not it.
    I am not disappointed. :D
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  6. Is this like a fan fiction for stopid?
  7. :D

happy to say you missed so, so many name changes in there ;)
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  8. 607, ShelLuser and SkeleTin007 like this.
  9. When I last checked that a week ago or so, I was surprised to find 'carlmoss' on top... what's that about?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. Apparently, if someone impersonates staff, their name gets reverted to whatever it was most previously.
    607 likes this.
  11. Aah, makes sense. :)