Dream Jobs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Jun 19, 2017.

?

Do you have any paid job at all?

Yes. 18 vote(s) 58.1%
No. 13 vote(s) 41.9%
  1. It’d be nice to be able to make money by proofreading...

I think my ideal career would be managing a database at a business, like at Walmart, since I live a few minutes away from the headquarters. My desired pay would be at least $75,000 or more a year. In addition, I enjoy working with numbers...

I’d also like to compose some music, too, as a side job, which I have planned, anyway.
    puppersNdoggo and 607 like this.
  2. Are there no opportunities for that for you?
  3. A proofreader is usually referred to as an Editor... there are plenty of editing jobs, just depends on where you want to go. We employ Editors at AWS to proofread our writing, for example I have an editor that edits everything I write. You could also work for a publisher. I'm not sure exactly what qualifications you need but I imagine a degree in English would help with that.
  4. Check the demographics in the general area you're in. If there's a large segment of dutch in the population there may be some businesses which could use someone to translate the material. You'd have to do some for free initially to prove you're worth their time and money, but it could be an in.

Another in is checking with nonprofits and international organizations if you happen to live in a big city. They're in need of translators more than you might think and would be willing to pay for some of your services.
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  5. If/when I finally get back to writing (consistently) and finish my novel, I'd welcome you to give it the red-pen treatment. Pretty sure we could work something out, although I don't think it'd be on par with an actual Editor's salary.
    UltiPig, 607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  6. I mean, he lives in the Netherlands: I'd be quite concerned if the population in his local area didn't have even a 'large segment' of Dutch in it :rolleyes:
    607, Kephras and TomvanWijnen like this.
  7. Welp, kinda had that coming didn't I? :p
    607 and synth_apparition like this.
  8. I think my dream job is really a toss up between being a forensic pathologist or being a marine biologist. I wanted to go for the second but I'm really not close to large bodies of water so options to study in the field or go to a decent school were not an option unless I wanted to move which I did not at the time (or only be exposed to the great lakes ecology). I managed a bachelors in biomedical and had a job I thought I loved in pharmaceutical research, unfortunately I discovered I'm not a huge people person and needed a job that involved little "group" work. I'd like to go back to school regardless of what I pick but right now we're focusing on getting life situated so it's not the college struggle well into my 30's, lol.
  9. My dream job..... Why do I have to pick one? :p

I've worked 3 jobs some people consider dream jobs.
    • professional tennis instructor. met some famous people, and always had a good tan.
    • tour director in Alaska/Yukon Territory. got to hike, bike, & fly over some of the beautiful terrain.
    • got in on ground level of a start up working around social media. People get in trouble if they aren't on twitter, facebook etc.
    But really... I guess my dream job would be getting paid to hang out with my wife, son & dog. :)
    puppersNdoggo and 607 like this.