Dream Jobs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Jun 19, 2017.

?

Do you have any paid job at all?

Yes. 18 vote(s) 58.1%
No. 13 vote(s) 41.9%
  1. Or maybe focus on the fact that sexism isn't something we should just ignore and change the subject on whenever it arises?
  2. Discussion of this particular topic doesn't belong in this thread as it has no bearing on the topic of discussion. The thread poster was asking players what they viewed as their dream jobs, not asking to critique the nature of sexism in jobs that have historically been blocked from a specific group of people based on demographic or biological factors.

Again, let's move back to discussion of dream jobs please.
    607, Kephras and TomvanWijnen like this.
  3. I'm kind of disappointed no one showed much interest in my dream job.

But I do have another dream job which is to get paid to be a travel blogger, like that woman who used to do the show where she travelled around.. I think it was on the Travel Channel. Getting paid to travel, yeah!

My girlfriends dream job is to be a marijuana taster, which evidently is a thing. There is a guy who gets paid to smoke/eat/whatever it and then give reviews. There was a documentary about him or he was in it or something, who knows. Obviously he lived somewhere where it's legal. (DISCLAIMER: If it's not legal where you are then don't try to do this job.)
    607, Lady_Eliza and TomvanWijnen like this.
  4. Sorry, I forgot, as I was busy when I read it, but I actually was interested!

What is your current job? :D
    607 likes this.
  5. Speaking personally, I'm terrible at cards and have no interest in anything more complicated than Solitaire. Sorry, I guess?

Now that'd be cool. There's something exhilarating about visiting somewhere new and having to find your feet in a strange place. Heck, I got that thrill just flying to Denver to visit Marie a few times, so I can only imagine what a new country would be like.

Though I'm not familiar with the woman or show you speak of... I know Anthony Bourdain, but he's more about "go somewhere new, eat weird food," than actually seeing the sights.
  6. I professional poker player sounds nice! What about a professional gambler if that's a thing? lol
  7. If you became a travel blogger maybe you could look for Carmen Sandiego.
  8. Screw my last options, I want to be one of these.

nvm I live in the UK where I don't think it'll be legalised in my lifetime (although the police don't actually care, I've walked past officers with friends while smoking *shrug*), even if there's been massive pushes for it in the past few years. OH WELL.

Travel blogger thing is cool too. Anything for getting paid for travelling is gooood. I'd love to get out of the UK for even just a few days, and getting paid for it would just be a bonus.

This thread is actually giving me more ideas. Oops.
    607 likes this.
  9. I've always wanted to be an astrochemist and possibly work for NASA. I currently have a degree in chemistry, but all I do is work for a narcotics division, which isn't as exciting as it sounds.
    607 and Kephras like this.
  10. I DREAM of being a professional travel photographer and cinematographer one day. However, that is a hard career to get into, so I am currently pursuing a career in web design after college (keep in mind that I am going to be a senior in high school, so I have a long way to go). I am pursuing photography on the side until I can make it a career.
  11. paid to sleep
    Lady_Eliza likes this.
  12. narcotics :confused:
  13. Bourdain is cool, he does the food thing.

here is the woman I was talking about:
    http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/samantha-brown
  14. I once upon a time wanted to work for National Geographic doing that, but yeah it's hard to get into.
  15. Yea, I want to get into a career similar to Travis Burke, Rob Strok or Christian LeBlanc but you just have to jump in and work really hard in hopes of getting sponsors and clients.
  16. I work for AWS as a technical writer. I didn't really work hard to get into this job as much as I worked hard to get out of my old job. I worked for 10+ years in various support positions, level 1-3, all in one way or another needing to talk to customers. I desperately wanted to advance my career and get out of those positions and I tried for a long time to get into management but it's hard to do that because there just aren't as many management jobs and managers tend to stay in them a long time.. so it's kind of a "right place, right time" type of thing it seems. So I had to pivot to another career and I saw a path to becoming a technical writer, it pays very well (sometimes as much as an engineer) and I don't have to talk to customers at all.

So now I basically teach technical processes and procedures with words... it's fun, pays well, and it gives me flexibility in my schedule.

I'm glad I have my support background though because you can really tell the folks at a tech company who have never had to talk to a customer before... they often find it hard to understand things from a customer perspective.
    LoneStarInc, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  17. it probably takes more money to become a professional gambler than it does to become a professional poker player... gamblers are nuts. but a lot of the high stakes pro poker players also gamble in other things. i don't really consider myself a gambler, i like poker because of the skill it takes plus it's fun.

i entered into and cashed in my first WSOP tournament this year, so that was definitely a thrill. so now i can officially say i am 1 for 1 in WSOP tournaments, a record i am sure will get destroyed when i go back next year and play in more lol
    Lady_Eliza and 607 like this.
  18. I used to make 1,000$ a week online but might try again. Right now stuck looking for a co-op job for my college program. I also have side jobs I do off the books for money and a project in dev for some future profit.

My dream job is somewhere that is close to where I would live. Be able to live well off meaning enough to pay bills and left over for what ever. I want to do something with computers not 100% sure but more servers, virtualization, security, etc. And work nice hours...

That's a realistic answer....
    607 and ArkWarrior1 like this.
  19. Another job I'd like to have is doing freelance translating English-Dutch. That might not be too hard to realise, but at the moment I prefer to be jobless.