Dream Jobs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Jun 19, 2017.

?

Do you have any paid job at all?

Yes. 18 vote(s) 58.1%
No. 13 vote(s) 41.9%
  1. Sometimes they don't tick, they just blow up and leave a crater.

-Word from On High recently declared we should update our systems from MS Office 2007 to whatever the most recent is (360, I think?). In theory, not a terrible idea.
    -In practice, it knocked out our ability to report Production for at least a week, since various databases and specialized 3rd-party stuff was tied into Excel, and they didn't like talking to the "upgraded" version. Snobby little things. The end result being Excel 2007 was left on some machines (or reinstalled) and operators were instructed on how to access the old version.

I don't pin this on our IT guy though, wasn't his decision to switch over to Win10 and its hydra-like extremities. I'm just thankful my work laptop here is still on the old stuff.

Personally, I'd like "metal" a lot more if the lead singer would actually sing with their music instead of scream. I've heard many metal bands over the years where the instrumentation was awesome and the lead had a great voice, but they spend 90% of their time screaming and growling instead.
  2. I certainly wouldn't mind being a writer, but I'm working more on computer programming jobs at the moment.
    Kephras and Lady_Eliza like this.
  3. A few years ago I wanted to be a computer programmer and I was learning to code but I quite due to boredom and not being interested anymore.
  4. Office's latest incarnation is Office 2016. This is standardized across the platform, including Project 2016 and Visio 2016. Office 365 is the subscription service offered in annual contracts for the most current Office products.

However, yeah... sometimes there's a crater and no explosion. Sometimes, there are ninja's that abscond with working arrangements and leave funky things in their wake instead.

I am in the IT industry, and love it. I work with networks (data and voice), databases, client-server structure as well as security. I'm also currently in school to complete my B.A.S. to further my career into senior services (the biggest reason I haven't been around much lately). My "dream" job would be the senior DBA and Net/SysAdmin for either a music label or radio conglomerate, since I am obsessed with music. But, just getting to play with tech all day is fine with me. I also agree with Shel, that Support Desk service, while necessary and a stressful job in itself, is not a tech-related job I would personally be attracted to.
    607, ShelLuser and Kephras like this.
  5. That's the one. I remember a co-worker explaining that we'd moved to a "subscription-based" version and being absolutely fluffin' appalled that the company would waste money in this fashion.
    607 likes this.
  6. Just be careful where your files will be going :p 365 is also often associated with "cloud" :)
    607 likes this.
  7. I'd be more concerned with what comes in than what comes out. We had a cryptovirus / ransomware hit the main servers last year, as well as other security woes in the months since. Practically all of them trace back to someone being stupid with their emails and opening infected stuff or following malware links.
    *facepaw*
    607 likes this.
  8. I think your office should teach Internet security if somebody opened stuff with malware links.
    607 and Kephras like this.
  9. I have a job I worked very hard to get so, in a sense, it's my dream job.

The job I'd love to have though is professional poker player... but I am geographically challenged so I haven't been able to properly test myself to see if I could do it.
    607 likes this.
  10. Grave digger
  11. Me too, dude...Me too!

Shadow_Dcord and Kephras like this.
  12. That really depends on whether Office is hosted from Microsoft's servers, or from a SharePoint locally.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. Frfr tho SNL
  14. Novelist?
    Alright, that's a bit harsh... xD Ignorant, okay, but 'extremely stupid'?

Hey, this thread got more attention than I expected. :p
    I'm enjoying reading the replies! :)
    ShelLuser and Kephras like this.
  15. I really have no idea,

However, my dream job would probably have to do something with having enough space for the 'invention' of new things, wheter it is a new type of vehicle, a small thing everyone needs (like a paperclip) or new software. Or I would like to have a job where I can entertain people. Who knows, maybe a combination?
    Patr1cV, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  16. Well I guess that makes me a bit harsh.
  17. Hey, I dont think thats harsh at all, if you think a woman cant do a job because there a woman thats straight out sexist and I'd personally have some non EMC appropriate words to describe that person.
    Lady_Eliza likes this.
  18. It's unnecessary. Nobody in this discussion said anything to that effect and getting antagonistic because you think someone might say something is just asking for trouble (and sparking unnecessary drama in the process). I've reported the post, but I think it would serve everyone in this thread a lot better if Lady_Eliza would just go back and edit #2 to snip out that bit of nastiness.

Also, if someone were to make an ignorant comment, to the effect that "women can't be butlers because they're female," that is an opportunity for you to educate that person. Calling them "extremely stupid" or "straight out sexist" serves no purpose other than to make them mad at you and doesn't do anything to support your side of things.
    607, synth_apparition and RhyGoesWoof like this.
  19. Well I do have to say that female butlers are actually preferred as a whole. However, this is typically due to religious reasons for the family. Becoming a butler for a family isn't exactly common compared to becoming a butler at a hotel per say. What a butler does has also changed, becoming more of a manager position rather than a "Hey, I'm here to serve you wine and food" sort of job. Also the few butler schools that do exist are mostly in Europe, yet hotels typically do training for their own butlers if you plan to do that.

In its essence, it requires very good people and coordination skills. It does pay well though, so that's certainly not bad and the increase of women in the industry is also a good sign.
    Lady_Eliza likes this.
  20. Let's focus this thread on the discussion of what your dream jobs are rather than the merits of others' dream jobs and comments involving them.
    607, Lady_Eliza and haastregt like this.