Don't you think that they lower sword damage?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stnywitness, Apr 9, 2017.

1. I have a Sharpness V sword and it takes five swings to kill a normal zombie. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. Perhaps you are not timing your hits? 1.9 added a cool-down so maybe you're trying to swing during the cool down.
    607 likes this.
  3. What difficulty are you on?
  4. Since 1.9 changed sword combat, when you attack, you have to wait for the attack to "cool down", as indicated by a little icon next to your hotbar. If you attack before it cools down all the way, you won't deal full damage.
    It was originally made for pvp, and I will agree that it can suck for pve
    607 likes this.
  5. Nope, I am waiting for cool down.
  6. Just ruling out the obvious: Sharpness V diamond sword or another material? ;) Also: is the zombie wearing any armor or such?

Basically: if you hit it you should get a 'woosh' sound and a small striking animation should show. Then you wait a second or two and try again.

As 607 said: try using /diff to check your effective difficulty. The higher the difficulty the more damage you need to do to kill a zombie (difficulty 5 is normal).
    607 likes this.
  7. Difficulty 6+ A god sword takes several hits to kill any mob, as others have already stated. I'd say that's the cause. That or you're using a wooden sword.
  8. Nope diamomd
  9. They actually did lower sword damage. I had a Sharpness X god sword i made on an sp world that did 19.5 damage in 1 hit, and now it only does 12.5 damage per hit.
  10. I think he was talking about an EMC specific change? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  11. I think you need sweeping edge on your sword too. And it just so happens you can get sweeping edge III for a very reasonable price at 10959. Really, why would anyone have a sword with out it.
    ESSELEM likes this.
  12. Ok, so... first-off, Sharpness rules were changed

The formula for Sharpness used to be:

attack increase = 1.25 x enchantmentLevel

Now, it's

attack increase = 0.5 x enchatmentLevel + 0.5

If you're attacking a Zombie, use Smite V on a sword over Sharpness V. With that, it should take 2 swings (with a short delay in between each one).
    Also to note: Diamond Axes do more damage than Diamond Swords with the 1.9 Combat Update, but swing much slower. Still, enchanting a Diamond Axe with Smite V and using it to attack an unarmored Zombie, Skeleton, Wither Skeleton or Zombie Pigman results in a OHK (one-hit kill).

(Edit) Don't forget critical hits! Jump up and then attack the target as you're landing and you'll do 50% more damage than normal to that single target. With a Smite V Looting III diamond sword, it's an excellent way to OHK a specifc mob for extra drops.
    Esrik likes this.
  13. Cool, thanks for the info
  14. Sweeping Edge doesn't have anything to do with this problem, though...
    ShelLuser likes this.
  15. He has a problem because it takes so many swings to kill a zombie. The sweeping edge enhancement increases the damage that will be dealt to mobs for each hit from a sweep attack. It appears it could be an answer to the problem. Just trying to help the poor guy out.
  16. Sweeping edge does not increase the damage of a direct hit, which I'm pretty sure is what's being discussed. In fact I'm not even sure it does increase damage on mobs caught in a sweep attack, I think it just gives you a higher chance to perform a sweep attack and allows mid air sweep attacks.
    607 likes this.
  17. It does increase the damage, see wiki below. So it does belong in this discussion. I have it on all my swords and it makes a huge difference. I love it. And you can get it at a fantastic price at 10959.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Enchanting#Sweeping_Edge
  18. check your difficulty with /diff

if you are over 5, this is why. 5 is the only level that emc's damage changes do not apply.
    Stnywitness, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  19. Cool, thanks for answering Aikar along with everyone else. I appreciate the help :)