[Discussion/Ongoing event] 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by ItsMeMatheus, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Oh, is it over? Who won?
    jacob5089 likes this.
  2. He does it for every goal he does regardless of the occasion (such as doing it in the Europa league final too). It's just his trademark celebration like the old hotline bling, I don't see it as too bad.

What a final though, with the most unfitting scoreline. The first goal wasn't a free kick in the first place and the own goal was unlucky however their defensive line wasn't good enough. Croatia dominated the entire first imo and the penalty shouldn't have been called. It was very harsh. A great strike from Perisic gave them a bit of hope but it was soon put to bed by some very preventable long shots from Pogba and Mbappe. Lloris then became Lloris Karius and made an awful mistake (tried to skill the attacker and failed for anyone not watching) but he was fortunate that the 4-1 lead was a huge cushion and Croatia couldn't come back from that.

What a great world cup though! I think we can all now agree that Mbappe will become the next big thing as he's really stepped up and scored a couple. There were also some huge upsets: Germany's dreams crushed as they lost to South Korea and came last in their group, Spain lost out to Russia, Brazil (who a lot thought would win) didn't even make the semis, Argentina having a nightmare world cup qualifiers and world cup with possibly the best player of all time in the team. Not to mention some giant countries like Italy and Netherlands didn't even make it! Croatia had a fantastic world cup and will feel like they should've won the whole thing, England actually played well and made the semis:eek:, Sweden did fantastically along with many other nations. Also how many records were set?! There were so many own goals, only one goalless game, the first own goal in the final and many more.

Can't wait for the euros in 2 years and then the next world cup; even if it is in the winter :p

France won 4-2 against Croatia
    jacob5089, AltPunisher, Elite and 2 others like this.
  3. Well, today final was like meh... very boring

First half Croatia dominated the whole field, but it unfortunately ended in two horrendous mistakes... the penalty call was very borderline... when defending, the players are expected to have they hands not-up, and Perisic was doing that... but fair call either way... most of the game was boring... I did not see the Croatia I saw vs England. (France gad an extra day of rest from the semifinals, which I find very unfair...)

The 3 goals that were actually developed plays(2 from France, one from Croatia) were beautiful. The rest of the game was like meh...

Also, I don’t understand the 5 dumb people which invaded the field mid-game... not at all funny

The post-game was the best part of the final tbh. Very satisfying to watch, was rooting for Croatia, but I also wanted France to win a little, so GG

Either way, at least 1 from Barcelona and 1 from Madrid was going to get a World Cup, not matter the result, so Im very happy with that

@jacob I did find the L celebration disrespectful and well, not the vibe that was in the field...
  4. Thanks for the detailed post!
    fBuilderS likes this.
  5. It was hard for him to see the ball as it was coming in from the corner because of the player in front of him and he had little to no reaction time to move his hands away from the ball. His hands were down and by his side which typically means that it isn't a hand ball but the ref gave this one. Also you have to consider that after it hit his hands it nearly went into his own goal which is definitely not where you'd want to aim it if you were deliberately aiming to handle the ball. The VAR apparently only had 2 camera angles on it as well which isn't nearly enough if a referee is going to use that to influence his decision and we know for sure that they had more angles on it so why didn't they show it? It's definitely a weird and controversial decision to say the least
    Tuqueque likes this.
  6. Before i start, i commend russia for being such great hosts despite doubt going into the competition.

Now.

That celebration was not disrespectful.. he does it every game. How soft are you lot?

But i thought the game was a good watch, some good football both technically and tactically.

Regardless, this WC has been an absolute treat one of the best in recent history at least and as far as im concered will go down as a classic.

Gonna miss the world cup but what a rollercoaster of a month! And wherever i come in this prediction thing, i did have france as my winners, anyonr else?
    AltPunisher and Elite like this.
  7. You were the only one to guess the correct winner.

Winners for knockout phase are out! Check the 2nd post.
    Congratulations to Elite, with 12 correct guesses! You win 1,200,000r!
    Congrats also to Smooshed_Potato (11 correct guesses) and MarkelleFultz (10 correct guesses)!

This world cup was truly a blast, and I'm very glad I was able to watch all of it live. France deserved this, their team was great in pretty much every aspect, and above all, they were extremely consistent.
    Thanks to everyone who participated! Prizes should be all sent.
  8. Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!

I didn't expect this xDDD

Thank you so much!

Thanks to everyone else, too :)
    607, fBuilderS and Smooshed_Potato like this.