[Discussion] MLB (Major League Baseball)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sefl, Apr 9, 2018.

?

How much do you love baseball

Never realized it existed 5 vote(s) 27.8%
Love it to death I follow it everyday 9 vote(s) 50.0%
I know enough to get me by 2 vote(s) 11.1%
I catch up on it weeklyish 2 vote(s) 11.1%
  1. I figured I'd start one of these up seeing as I have a lot of time on my hands and love to follow and discuss baseball but not many people to discuss it with.... I've only met 3-5 People on EMC who enjoy baseball and only 1 who followed it about as much as me. I figured this thread would be a great place to talk about who your favorite team or players are to watch / cheer for.

I personally love the Cubs due to them being my Great-Grandmas favorite team and they got me through the rough time when she was in the nursing home (shes still alive and living at home again, she had trouble with her hips and ankles for a little) She is 90 years old and her memory isnt very good but she loves baseball. I personally was always a NASCAR and NFL person but then when she started going down hill in health the start of the year the cubs won the world series I started watching and paying attention because I wanted to have something to talk about with her. I am glad that she was able to see them win a world series finally after all the years of her support!

Also atm I'm very intrigued with the LA Angels and Shohei Ohtani. At the time of writing this hes 5th in strikeouts with 18 after 2 stars including a nearly perfect 7 inning pitching on only his 2nd start. He also has a 3 game streak of Home Runs as a DH.
  2. Baseball is basically like softball, right?
  3. They're very similar in rules yes although the ball is bigger and different pitching "methods" and i believe the bats are different aswell.
    607 and Star09 like this.
  4. Love baseball. Don't have a particular team I root for, but that just means I can watch any game stress-free and enjoy it.
    Eviltoade, 607 and SeflYT like this.
  5. Looks like I wont be able to watch the cubs game today due to it being postponed... rip! I will probably watch some of Tigers vs Indians then Angels vs Rangers then catch up on Diamondbacks and Giants.

Anyone else plan on watching any games today?
    Eviltoade likes this.
  6. Wondering what you guys thought of my "opinions" on Best pitcher in the league at the moment I think its between the 2 following players.

Max Scherzer - 20 Innings Pitched with 27 Strike Outs and a 0.90 ERA - 13 Hits

Coery Kluber - 23 Innings Pitched with 27 Strike Outs and a 1.57 ERA - 11 Hits

Scherzer has Kluber beat on strikeout per inning pitched while kluber as less hits in more innings and Scherzer has the lower ERA

What do you guys think? Is it one of the 2 or is it someone different like Kershaw or Verlander... or even Ohtani who's only started 2 games this year but had stellar performances.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  7. what is baseball
  8. Haven't you played softball in school?
  9. I've always been a fan of the cardinals and the rockies. Went to rockies opening day this year... lets just say 25 degrees is not fun to watch baseball in lol. It was fun even though they lost. Baseball is awesome
    Eviltoade and SeflYT like this.
  10. Dang! 25 degrees, thats not exactly baseball weather lol. Ya just going to games is a great experience I've been to some Indianapolis Indians games (A Triple-A affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates) they do currently have a decent prospect Austin Meadows playing for them.
    607 likes this.
  11. I prefer sitting in the stadium than watching it on tv. So I don't get to watch the game as much as I would like.
    SeflYT and 607 like this.
  12. Starting Pitcher? Any Pitcher?

I remember a few years ago I was having a discussion on who the best golfer in the world was - my friend kept saying Tiger Woods (this was when he was still doing OK - but after his decline) - but the problem was that his CURRENT statistics /World Golf Ranking didn't put him at the top. Granted, his talent for the game was/is higher than most if not all, but I would not have considered him the "best."

SO, my point, if you are talking about raw talent / combined statistics, I would have to go with Kershaw. If you are talking about whos HOT right now, I would have to go with Scherzer. And let's not forget Ohtani, I hope to see a lot more of him this season. (then Kluber > Sale)

Side Note: Love watching, playing, coaching and writing about baseball lol
    Tuqueque, 607 and Sefl51 like this.
  13. Ya, thats a VERY good point I should've stated "hot" ya and Kershaw is "pretty good" (quite good / amazing). I'm loving watching Ohtani play I think he's going to be good for the league bringing a lot of attention to it. I'm not quite sure though if there's every been this "hot" of a player in the league starting out.
    I do know that in recent years Kris Bryant, Bryce Harper, Yasiel Puig, and Mike Trout were exciting young players to watch in the Majors and are still great to watch especially Bryant (totally not biased :rolleyes:) and Harper has the talk of being one of the if not the highest paid MLB player. Trout is greaet to watch since he's got quite the teammate with Ohtani. I do feel though that Bryant and Puig are "Toned Down" a bit since their grand entrance into the league

Also side note I'm hoping to have the money to go to a Indianapolis Indians game in May (I'd love to get an Auto from Meadows but just meeting him would be AMAZING) Then in August for my Birthday I would like to go to my first MLB game hopefully the Cubs but i might go over to Ohio for a Reds game (they have a "childhood emotional tie" cause when i played baseball in Elementary School my team wore the Reds gear and I myself was lucky enough to wear the #3 for Babe Ruth (my childhood baseball idol since I could hit the ball quite far if I managed to connect. My strike outs were super high sadly i think i batted high .100's rofl)
    607 and Eviltoade like this.
  14. I don't know if anyone watched the Yankees and Red Sox game yesterday / last night but I was wondering your opinions on if Tyler Austin's slide was "dirty" and he shouldn't have charged the mound cause his hit by the pitch was "justified". The other thought have on this is that he possibly slid wrong and it was an accident and his charge to the mound was "justified" because it was an accident on 2nd base so he shouldn't have been hit by the pitch. I guess there is a 3rd thought process for this situation that the pitcher shouldn't have hit him and he shouldn't have charged and both players are in the wrong.

My opinion is that the slide was dirty and that the pitch was "justified" and Tyler Austin should've just "walked it off" although I can understand that "violence" (charging the mound and hitting batters intentionally is wrong).
    Gordan_the_Gourd likes this.
  15. Haven't bumped this thread for a little. Anyone else see Bartolo Colon's nearly perfect game. I think it was quite the game between Verlander and Colon pitching.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  16. Of course I saw this one hehe

On the one hand I really wanted Colon to pitch a perfect game, but on the other hand I wanted the Astros to win. :D

Regardless,Colon is an outstanding pitcher for his age and Verlander, well, he's Verlander (11 strike outs? something like that, so good).
    Tuqueque, 607 and Sefl51 like this.
  17. A perfect game? Does that mean only homeruns? :confused:
  18. A perfect game is when a pitcher doesnt allow a single base runner (no walks or hits)
    607 likes this.
  19. Well then... only been 2 months since this thread was active maybe we can bring it back from the dead.
    Just watched my cubbies lose to the dodgers :( but I hope everyone else is enjoying their team win :rolleyes:

Also a couple weeks ago I aquired a Bryce Harper autographed card and seems as though his slump started when I got it, coincidence? :eek:
  20. Just wanted to say that I've been a bit of a lifetime Dodger fan. Couldn't be helped. Love Kershaw, but I'm biased. Thanks for starting this thread, Sefl51!
    Sefl51 likes this.