[Discussion] Merging 9 servers into 5

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AlexC__, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What do you think?

Yes 23 vote(s) 28.4%
No 47 vote(s) 58.0%
Less than 5 5 vote(s) 6.2%
More than 5 6 vote(s) 7.4%
  1. I vote no, not good, very very bad, and please no don't do it.

Merging servers, while it seems like a good idea to bring everyone together more would probably cause serious player rage issues and mass confusion.

So yes the good side
    1. Bigger communities, more server chat
    2. Maybe increase competition between malls/shops making prices drop on some items
    3. No more prime time with 20 people on a server
    4. Easier access to trades/shops without having to server hop all over - less need for vault usage
    5. Many more I'm sure but these would be the top reasons imo.

And yes the bad side
    1. More server chat - I moved way out in the wilds to avoid the constant town chat
    2. More (possibly but not sure) lag from prime time play because of more people per server
    3. Less open feel in the wilds - would be more crowded as most folks don't go out over 100k or so blocks
    4. I have many hours put into my new wild base and others have LOTS more hours put into them. I don't want to loose by wild base as I have grown rather attached to this one - AND if they do move the bases there is the possibility of 2 bases on merging servers at the exact same location (this would be bad)
    5. 100s of hours of staff time moving player's res to the new merge and then 100s more moving wild bases
    6. Nether rail systems - omg the chaos and anarchy of that
    7. Probably would delay dragon tombs (this alone makes the merger pure evil)
    8. As we grow in size would just have to make the servers back again as was said in an earlier post
    9. Right now even with teleport and being able to use my vault in the wild it would take me 40 hours to move all my junk back to town and another 40 or more to tear down to get those resources back.
    10. Harder to avoid people you just can't get along with because of a smaller number of servers.
    11. Many many more I am not listing

I am not opposed to change, what I am opposed to is putting 100s of hours into a wild base and overnight -poof- it's gone in a flash of server merger. This would be a complete negative effect imo and only cause hard feelings.

Short version - way to much work for no real gain because as EMC grows the servers will fill. It is good to have the growing room NOW not 3 to 6 months from now when you cant go 20 blocks without running into another player.
    NathanRP likes this.
  2. Thumbs down
  3. This is not in anyone's agenda.

I think you misunderstand the term merge. Wilds are completely off limits for any alteration in this discussion. Only the command used to get to "the old smp6 frontier server" might change. At the center of town there could be 9 sets of portals to all of the places that exist now. Lag will be addressed!, we wouldn't do anything to overload any one server. If you have been following special events, lag is still mostly controlled at close to 80 players at times. Special events might be moved to a dedicated location rather than a single town.

Really we are talking about "virtual merging", making the separation between the towns and their residents easier to cross.

Well, the discussion doesn't have to delay dragon tombs, but yeah, doing it would.
    AlexChance likes this.
  4. I will only agree to this if you keep another server for all the lovely even hosting... i have the privilege of being from smp2 , but every time there is a event, drop party etc, there is a overload, its incredibly laggy ( i play on a potato) and the length of it would really put a hitch in someones giddy up if they had to wait 10-15 mins to log cause someone was hosting something. Also, then you would also have to consider mandatory town extensions, because yes there might be 10 active players... but 20+ join and quit each day, and they all reserve resses for 30 days. DO NOT SHORTEN THAT TIME for active players, but make them have to play for 3 days or 4 days or a set amount of hours before thier res gets reserved for more than a very limited amount of time

Address these issues =)
  5. I agree wholeheartedly with biggerhammer tho, Honestly a good 65+ percent of players have wild bases and love them.... and it fuels the economy greatly. the wild bases are a super must keep.

go with aikars merger of chats. thatll be your best bet. unless you are hemmoraging money
    ( which at 20 bucks a donator im sure you are not)
  6. As long as the wilds are off limits for the merger I'm ok with whatever you want to do in town - I left town for the wilds and don't plan to return anytime soon. The way I read it if the towns were merged I would just /smp2 wilderness (or something similar) to get back to the wilds.

The big question is if you do merge servers am I still going to be able to get back to town like I do now. I'm on smp2 and when I need to go to town to check my mail I have 2 options - run 12 hours real time (and thats using nether travel) or /server smpX (x being any server but smp2) so I can check my mail and vault whatever I was sent for future use.
  7. You should try to explain your point of view.

Personally, I think this would be a good change. When I joined, smp7 was new and there was almost 60 players on every server. But now, it's very quiet, especially during the Australian evening, when very few people are on.

I think better cross-server communication and integration should come before Dragon Tombs. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I honestly don't care about Dragon Tombs now, it's been long enough, and it can come when it wants to.

But improvement on an already existing product is something that should be fairly constant. Cross-server integration is something that'd be amazing useful, and fun. IMO it's been needed since 1.3, when we lost all of those players.
    OrangeDuck607 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  8. I will be going through your reasons not to have it :)
    1. /chat off, OR /ignore
    2. Better than spending lots of money to reduce lag on 10 servers
    3. Alexchance covered this in OP
    4. Alexchance covered this in OP
    5. .
    6. Covered in OP
    7. Not if Dragon Tombs is first priority
    8. OR make more slots
    9. .
    10. /ignore
    11. List, please.
    AlexChance likes this.
  9. I dislike the idea of physically combining the worlds. But first to answer Aikar's question:

DTombs is a required update. It's urgent. Altering how town works, or chat is not urgent. They work as they are, but we can improve it later.
    Focus on Dragon Tombs, then lets launch into the next improvement. This is top priority for so many reasons, it's practically a prophesy that needs to become reality for the future of EMC.

I dislike the idea of physically combining the servers for this main reason:
    • I have made my home on SMP5, I have built public services, as have others, I've built shops, as have others. All are focused on SMP5's economy, and public requirements. Everything is built to work together. If we were to physically combine town servers, all that goes out the window.
    • Physically combined servers will mean you have all these server specific shops, services, attractions clashing. It would mean a major restructuring for many people.
    • Locations become a nightmare to sort out. Many people have chosen a specific location for their build, perhaps they wanted that spawn res or that edge/corner of town map specifically for their build. Perhaps they have friends as neighbors. If we combine the towns into one, how do you figure where all the residences are moved to? Or will you simply wipe the town and start over?
    However, keeping the 'worlds' separate and exactly as they are, if you wanted to move these worlds all to 1 server, and allow /v to automatically move you between worlds, that could work. But there are questions:
    • Can you still not move items between town worlds without the use of vault? Or will you carry your inventory with you when you move from say smp1 to smp2 on the same machine using /v?
    • If you are able to move items between 'smps' without vault, that changes everything just as I said above. it'll be almost as if all the smps have been physically combined (but without the nightmare of moving all residences).
    I believe uniting the SMPs via global chat is a good idea. That is truly what will bring people together!
    I get so many reports and complaints of people feeling like another player has 'invaded their home server'. Meaning, many people feel a protective ownership to their main home SMP. And when 'outsiders' come in, they feel trespassed. Simply uniting servers with a global chat will go far to dispel that divide in community.
  10. I couldn't have said anything better, but yeah dragon tombs should be done first, or almost completed. But global chat shouldn't take very long seeing as a lot of servers have some kind of that form
  11. I have joined large minecraft servers in the past, and some of their chat setups were intense, but 20 mins of reading their well written /help files and i picked it up fast and easy.

As opposed to my first few days on EMC, which I found incredibly confusing with so many worlds for different things. Compared to understanding EMC's customisation, understanding chat channels is a piece of cake. :)

Good point. If we were to unite EMC with a global chat, we'd probably want to separate it into different categories. Say 'trade' channel, 'help/newbie' channel, 'global' general channel?

As wkr said, not a good idea to have just 1 wastelands. Simple because of unique biomes and structures they offer.

I easily visit more SMP's wastelands than i do their wilds. As I always look for the best location to mine the blocks I want. Some SMP's wastelands do not contain certain rarer blocks at all! And you must travel to another SMP wastelands to find them.

However, if you were to create a single wastelands, you could always just make it HUGE. And have more than just 9 outpost locations. Maybe have 9 sets of 9 outpost locations? I have no idea how that'd work. But instead of a 10k x 10k wasteland, you could have a 100k x 100k, to ensure you have more than 1 of each rare biome or structure (except strongholds, unless you custom make the map have more than 3). That way, you won't have shortages of rarer things.
  12. Regarding this, an example of this working orderly
    Back in 2011 this busy chat was a thing on all servers, and I didn't find it very difficult. I think the "Trade" and "Newbie" chanel would be fine if you were looking for something, but if you have to toggle them on (otherwise they'd be pretty pointless if they're to prevent a busy chat), older players wouldn't find themselves in "help" instead of "general" very often :)
  13. I actually think this is kind of a good thing.
    One major complaint of older players is having to listen to the same questions and complaints on town chat from new players. To the point where, many players have left town and now live almost exclusively in the wild to escape town chat.

Older players will have a global channel they can use without all the new player 'spam'. :) If they are feeling particularly helpful one day, they might switch on help chat and 'help'.

All new players would automatically start with help channel on and selected as default chat, they instantly have a channel to use. Those players who enjoy helping newbies (and those staff or player helpers given the job, can be there to help them). The other channels, trade and global would be turned off by default, and there's be stuff in the tutorial explaining how to use chat channels. There would also be TIP's come up in chat about using chat, and easy to read /help files on all chats and how to use them.
  14. I can see two sides to it, but personally I would like to be able to be in the Help and General channel at the same time, if they were individual I just don't see anyone missing out on a key aspect of MP (discussion) to be in the Help channel, which I'm sure 50% of people needing answers would probably prefer not to use :)
  15. I should have clarified that.

You'd be able to be in all the channels at the same time. they'd be colored, or prefixed to distinguish them. You'd also be able to post to any channel as you can now using: @
    @t this is a town chat message
    @l this is a local chat message.
    @r this is a residential chat message.

And you'd be able to set your default chat to any of them as you can now also.

This difference is, you can turn each of those chat channels on/off as you see fit. eg:
    /chat trade off
    /chat help on
    /chat global/town on
    PandasEatRamen and AlexChance like this.
  16. I would be fine with this as long as the communities were separated into clearly distinct districts to keep that competitive spirit that the servers have always enjoyed. The wilds must also be unique to the districts and not connected in any ways.

EDIT: 4 servers (3 servers per server) Server 4 would have Utopia and something like an Empire main lobby with the tutorial and portals to the other servers.
    golddigger221 likes this.
  17. Sounds kinda like the districts in the hunger games series.
    That's the general idea though, but we may not merge, maybe only have chat stuff added. Merging would have to wait until after dragon tombs anyways
  18. I personally believe that putting them into separate districts would help preserve server heritage and would encourage competitive events between districts such as building competitions. These constructive competitions would help make EMC a better place with more monuments and would give distinct differences between the original servers. It would make it cost less to run the servers and it would make the change easier for older members.
  19. I vote no. This would most likely reset the wild, correct? If this was to happen, I'd be extremely pissed off. Lol
  20. It would not (the way I proprose it, anyway) :)
    PandasEatRamen and Cchiarell6914 like this.